Sign in with
Your question

No audio playing from rented DVD's?

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2006 11:15:57 PM

I rented some DVD's today and the video plays fine on my computer's DVD RW but there is no audio. I have tried several different players, but all with no sound.

I have a Creative Audigy 2 se which plays audio CD's fine from the DVD player and plays movies and music fine from the Hard drive. The four-pin patch cord is connected from the DVD player to the soundcard. All the connections are fine as home-burned video and audio DVD's and CD's audio plays fine...only rented DVD's don't.

I played rented DVD's before with this DVD RW and the sound came through fine with my onboard audio card. The only difference now is that I have the Creative Audigy, which plays my CD's and DVD's audio fine...just not rented DVD's.

I'm stumped, does anyone have the answer???
October 27, 2006 11:15:22 AM

hi.
if you are able to play other media such cd or burned dvd
from that drive i do not think that is a problem with the drive.
check your setting af audio in
sound and audio devices/volume/one digital output
be sure this options is not checked.
i can think for somethink else.
October 27, 2006 11:31:00 AM

Change DVD player.
Try Windows Media, Realplayer, Intervideo WinDVD.
Some player do not play certain files, while others do.
Related resources
October 27, 2006 11:43:12 AM

Mmm, maybe try to download an AC3 audio codec plugin for your media player.
October 27, 2006 12:02:47 PM

I would agree on the AC3 comment. One thing though, why are you using the 4-pin sound cable? That might be what is causing the issue. It's standard now that all audio is transmitted digitally through the IDE bus. I would also try removing that 4-pin cable going to your sound card if you can't get it to work by changing software.
October 27, 2006 5:05:09 PM

Thanks Pippero, the AC3 codec did the trick! I now have sound, glorious sound from the movies!! Thanks to all for your input and ideas!!!
!