Sign in with
Your question

Blacked out Drunken Purchase

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
October 26, 2006 11:50:17 PM

So I have been out of the loop for ages. I need to know if these are compatible

2X Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

Intel D975XBXLKR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID

I am concerned because I ordered the PC components while I was intoxicated on a whim.... I did some research when I realized it was ordered(found an order confirmation in my email account) and from what I can tell the mobo supports 667 ram...will the 800mhz stuff just run at 667?

Please let me know how bad of a drunken manuever I just pulled off.

Thanks for the help.
October 27, 2006 12:02:46 AM

I would have bought the BLKD975XBX2KR instead, which just came out. At a glance, it has some more flexibility for overclocking and is explicitly qualified for 800MHz RAM. Also guaranteed to support the quad core chips, which I think on the XBX was only if you got a certain revision.

OTOH because all the retailers are trying to get the XBX stock out of their warehouses, you probably got a good deal on it, right?

The 800MHz RAM should be fine for you, it should let you run tighter timings, you'll just have to set it manually.
October 27, 2006 12:55:44 AM

Thats exactly what I want to hear bberson. I was hoping I didn't make a horrible mistake all trashed. 290 canadian for the board from tigerdirect. Its a great site for me since they are near London in markham. I dont even see that xbx on newegg or tiger
Related resources
October 27, 2006 1:02:16 AM

Well, not that I'm trying to let the wind outta' your sails, but I'm not sure how much of a deal CAN$290 is. I was in Micro Center here in New York a few days ago, they were selling that board for US$200. Then again I'm thinking strictly in terms of the exchange rate, forgetting that Canada has higher duties on all the computer and consumer electronics stuff too... oh well. Good luck with the new toy!

If you have friends making trips to the 'states, you should put in an order...
a b } Memory
October 27, 2006 1:26:34 AM

Yeh, BIOS will detect it as as either DDR2-533 or DDR2-667.
October 27, 2006 2:41:35 AM

Quote:

Please let me know how bad of a drunken manuever I just pulled off.

Thanks for the help.

What, I'm not the only one that's done a drunken manuever? Your ram will work, but if you can, it would probably be better to return the mobo and get one that's a bit higher rated if you can. Then you can use the ram to its full potential and have more possibilities in the future.

At least you didn't wake up, find someone in bed with you, ask "Who are you?" and she replied "Your wife, don't you remember?"
October 27, 2006 9:03:42 PM

Can you direct me to a higher rated mobo? I haven't been able to track down that Intel board bberson recommended. Additionally there is a limitation because the company has to deliver to Canada. Which last I checked newegg and the ilk did not.
a b } Memory
October 27, 2006 9:10:53 PM

Here's a board I can vouch for

Note that the BIOS has been improved since Tom's Hardware looked at it, it now fully supports DDR2-800 and overclocks like a dream.
October 27, 2006 9:48:50 PM

The first step is admitting that you have a problem.
October 27, 2006 11:05:36 PM

That Ram and board should work just fine together, decent purchase.

Now about that drunken manuever, I find it strange so many seem to be unaware of what goes on after getting a little booze in them. I've always been a disbeliever in the "I was so drunk I don't know what happened" philosophy because I've been poisoned drunk before a few times, especially when I was younger. I even got so drunk one time I went blind for about 45mins or so before I could even see any light again through my eyes. I was completely aware of everything going on around me other than the fact I couldn't see, lol.

Oh well cheers to you and glad you didn't make a mistake :p 
!