connecting a router and WAP?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hey all, I need to pick the brains of some of you networking gurus out
there!

Here's my network layout. Essentially 2 networks consisting of the
following:

1) An office Lan with a Linsys BEFSR41 wired router connected to a Linksys
WAP54G wireless access point. Coming off the router are a laptop and desktop
which are successfully networked and talking, as well as a network printer.

2) In the living room is my internet connection/cable modem. connected to
that is a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router.

The idea is to connect the office lan to the internet connection in the
living room. it's too far to run a cable, thus the wireless option. how do I
get the wireless access point and the wireless router to talk? i can pick up
each signal separately with a wireless laptop, so i know the signals are
good and strong. any ideas or guidance? thanks in advance for any help you
can send my way.

Mark

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Mark Rhodes" <all_good_people@yahoo.com> wrote in news:Htobc.9114$LW2.1490
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> how do I
> get the wireless access point and the wireless router to talk?

Wireless Bridge (sometimes called a Wireless Game Adapter).

Dlink and Linksys make em.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Archived from groups: (More info?)

can't be done with the equipment i have, eh? i'd like to avoid any more
money if i can. i thought the WAP would allow the two networks to
communicate. what is a WAP for if not for adding wireless functionality to
wired equipment?

mark

> i thought the WAP would allow the two networks to
> communicate. what is a WAP for if not for adding wireless
> functionality to wired equipment?

Oh I missed the part where you have 2 WAPs.

You can only connect 2 wireless segments together if your WAP supports
Wireless Bridging (The WAP54G does support bridging but I'm not sure about
your Router).

Wireless bridging is a non-standard function. Wireless APs are supposed to
connect wireless clients to wired segments (sort of like a gateway). The
wireless bridging is an add-on feature with is vendor specific.

So try turning on Wireless Bridging on both units and it should work : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)