Quad-core MIA?

chris421

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
So where are all these Core 2 Quadros that would be shipping by mid October? Not so much as a pre-order on any of the major online component sites.

These CPUs appear to have been hyped more on Tom's Hardware than on Intel's own site. Shoot, couldn't find one shred of information on Intel regarding the new line at all, let alone an availability date.

This worries me. Worried that Intel could be dumb enough to sit on this advancement for another 18 months while they peddle their remaining dual-core inventory to the world. Intel has an opportunity to deliver a knock-out punch to AMD by releasing superior, cheap AND AVAILABLE technology to the masses. Hope they don't f it up.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I don't know where you are coming up with your information, but mid-October availability was never an official timeframe for Kentsfield. The official timeline is for the NDA to lift on November 2nd which is when we'll see full reviews with actual availability on November 14th. Also, it's not like there are "all these Core 2 Quadros" coming up since it has always been the case that there is only going to be a single top-of-line Kentsfield Core 2 Extreme Edition quad core coming this year. It's only in Q1 next year that we will see an additional mainstream Core 2 Quad, but even that will be priced above $500, $851 has actually been rumoured. This really isn't a big concern right now since quad cores are expensive to produce and were always targeted at the high-end for specific applications since for the average person a higher-clocked dual core would be more beneficial and cheaper.

chris421

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
He's the source of my information.

Although the Core 2 quad-core processors are not expected to hit retail channels before October,

One could make the argument that 10,000 yrs is 'after October', but November is implied. So it strikes me odd that there are no pre-orders to be found anywhere. Cost has never been an issue for enthusiasts and people truly in need. The sooner I can build my DL380 G5 SQL cluster for work (using 4-core Xeons), the better.

chris421

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
lol. --shill.

I'm shilling for which vendor in this case?

AMD because I was agitated over an assumed missed release date from Intel, as a result of shoddy-to-nonexistent announcement information? Or Intel because I want to throw --something-- at bad developers writing sloppy code against an overwhelmed SQL farm?

If anything I'm a shill for 'progress'.

I don't care which vendor provides it--preferably more than one to keep them honest.

chris421

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
--jesus. you guys are paranoid.

god forbid someone new come along to say anything about anything without a super-secret agenda.

enjoy your koolaid.

Neither. But if you had typed up "Kentsfield release date" into Google, you would have gotten something along the lines of 22.6 million results giving exact dates, with 6 or 7 coming from Intel's website. You seem to know enough about the internet to be able to do this.
Just remember, Google is your friend.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Well Cloverton quad core Xeons are supposed to launch on November 14th as well. I think the reason why there aren't pre-orders or as much of an official push from Intel is because there isn't as much pressure for them to do so. The original Core 2 launches were hyped up since they were a much needed change in direction for Intel, but quad cores are just an incremental step so Intel is going back to their more traditional stance of being more subdued. Hopefully you aren't in a position where you have to buy as soon as possible, since they say it'll be available on November 14th, but you should allow yourself some leeway, and that's true for any company/launch. Still I have little doubt that you'll be able to get what you need before the year is out.