Nameless7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Hello guys.

This is my first time posting but I have been lurking around these boards for a while now.

Anyway I am hoping to get some input from those of you who are familiar with the tuniq tower cooler. My brother has a socket A pc and he keeps it in a relatively hot room. Lately his pc has been crashing and we found that heat was the issue as his cooling solution was unable to keep his cpu cool enough. A noisy solution is out of the question.

I have read a great many things about the tuniq tower and looking at pics of it, it would seem that the H bracket that comes with it might be similar to those "thermaltake universal" type brackets and "may" therefore be usable in a socket A system. Would anyone out there be able to tell me if this is doable?

the brackets I am talking about:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/cooler/combo/cl-p0024/cl-p0024.asp

and the tuniq

http://www.amdboard.com/tuniq_tower_120.html

Any info on this would be great. thank you.

ps. If this is not possible, could you recommend the best(performance) and quietest socket A out there. thanks!.

I have a friend using one of these Bad Boys on his Socket A 462 rig, and its really quiet with the 120mm fan, and cools great, so since I know his is really doing a great job I'm reccommending it to you.

Also Crazy PC is a trustworthy place to do business with, I have and have no complaints.

This first link you posted is supposed to fit a socket A, but thats a big cooler as is the Tuniq but my concerns with something that big is I would want it to grab all the socket fingers on the Socket 462 base or bolt through the M/B through predrilled mounting holes that most of the Socket A M/Bs had, to hold that monster in place.

My first post link to you will do what you need but you got to go with what you want.

Nameless7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah the item on my first link is supposed to be installed on predrilled holes on the MB which he does have. He has an asus a7n8x-e. I would really like to know if the tuniq tower is mountable through these holes before I start looking at other options. that thermaltake looks like it would cool very well tho.. 8)

I saw some clips that looked like single clip on clips but I don't know if they were for the Socket A or was one of the H clips for Socket A, that Tuniq is a monster it would have to be bolted on, and how much weight can a Socket A CPU actually take, it doesn't have a heatspreader all the pressure would be on the cpu die itself.

Thats scary right there, the Typhoon was actually first designed for the socket A and they added additional clips for different sockets, but the Typhoon works great, on a Socket A, I know that for a fact I've seen it in operation.

Its huge itself, the first time I saw it on my friends machine was the first time I'd ever seen one period, and when I saw it I did a double take and a Holy Crap what the hell is that. He had a windowed case and at the time had changed the original 120mm fan to a blue led and it was quite impressive.

Nameless7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I am definetly getting a cpu shim for it. The last thing I want is to break the cpu.

Wusy would you be able to tell me if the H bracket that comes with the Tuniq Tower is compatible with the standard drilled holes on socket A motherboards?

Thanks!

You better read this taken from the Tuniq Tower review you posted look toward the bottom in bold print. Sorry! :(

Conclusion

Despite its huge volume and massive weight, the Sunbeamtech Tuniq Tower 120 did manage to impress us in providing exactly what we were looking for: Silence and top cooling at a very reasonable price! For all those good reasons, we cannot refrain from giving the Tuniq Tower 120 a perfect 10.

All our thanks to Sunbeamtech for sending us the Tuniq Tower 120
Fan Speed Idle Full
2000RPM 32°C 35°C
1000RPM 36°C 40°C
OFF 40°C 49°C

What we like most...
- Well packaged
- Excellent cooling
- Silent
- Easy to install
- Supplied Fan controller

And less...
- Cannot fit all boards and cases
- Back side controller rather than front
- No Socket A compatibility

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Thermalright's heatsinks come with the CPU shim IIRC. The SI-97A is a very good cooler and you can choose which 92mm fan you want to use with it. You can pick one up as well as a fan for it at www.heatsinkfactory.com. CrazyPC also had a decent price on the the Scythe Katana Cu which is decent too. However, I believe the Big Typhoon that 4ryan6 pointed to would cool the most. I'm not sure about the noise factor on these, you'll have to research them.