xp won't install as dual os on win98se system

Attempting to install xp on win98 as clean install (ie dual boot)

Disconnected all periphs (bare notebook)

Using Partition Magic, cleared unpartitioned space (4.5Gig) at end of
HDD

Ran full scandisk - full surface test.

Setup

Chose NTFS in unpartitioned space - would have preferred fat32 but not
given the option by setup

All going normally until middle of 'registering components' - '13
minutes to go - and it stuck - HDD making 'dit dah dit dah dah' over
and over again, for about ten minutes before I had to turn off the
power.

The above describes my third attempt, each with the same result,
although the first two were attempts to install on a fat32 partition
at the end of my HDD.

I have not yet upgraded drivers for my Tosh Sat Pro 6000 although I
know there are xp-compatible drivers available on the Tosh web site.
I didn't start out by installing these as I wasn't clear whether they
would also work with win98 - all part of this process of not
committing to XP until I know how it behaves.

Has anyone any helpful ideas?
10 answers Last reply
More about install dual win98se system

    Xp has to be installed first. Regardless of whether it's on another
    partition. You have to have XP first and then isntall win98. I has to do wiht
    the Master File Table. XP must be the boss or it won't work.

    Hi, John.

    MVP Rick Rogers and I have already responded to your post from yesterday on
    this same subject. Have you seen those yet?

    > Setup

    I'm with you down to here, I think. How are you running WinXP Setup? By
    booting from the WinXP CD-ROM?

    > Chose NTFS in unpartitioned space - would have preferred fat32 but not
    > given the option by setup

    You haven't told us how many partitions you have, so I'll assume you
    previously had just one primary partition, Drive C:, formatted FAT32. Did
    WinXP Setup create a new primary partition here? Or did PM create it?
    Unless the partition is larger than 32 GB, WinXP Setup should have offered
    FAT32 as an option.

    Let's review the Microsoft dual-boot setup, as it has been since at least
    WinNT4. The boot process always starts in the Root of the "system
    partition" (the active partition on the first physical HDD), typically Drive
    C:\, where it must find the "system files" for both WinXP and Win9x/ME,
    including C:\boot.ini, which points to the location of each Windows
    installation. Each Windows installation has its own boot folder (\Windows
    by default, except for WinNT4/2K, which use \WinNT) located in its own boot
    volume, which can be any primary partition or logical drive in the computer.
    In your computer, you probably have Win98 in C:\Windows and will be
    installing WinXP into D:\Windows. But the system files for both Win98
    (io.sys and msdos.sys) and WinXP (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini) must be
    in C:\, the root of the system partition.

    When WinXP Setup runs, if it detects Win98 already installed, it will first
    save the DOS-style boot sector as C:\bootsect.dos, then it will overwrite
    the boot sector on C: with the NT version. Then it will install WinXP
    wherever you choose and create C:\boot.ini with pointers to its boot folder
    and to C:\, where Win98's io.sys and msdos.sys will remain.

    > I have not yet upgraded drivers for my Tosh Sat Pro 6000 although I
    > know there are xp-compatible drivers available on the Tosh web site.
    > I didn't start out by installing these as I wasn't clear whether they
    > would also work with win98 - all part of this process of not
    > committing to XP until I know how it behaves.

    I know nothing of Toshibas or of notebooks. Are you sure this hardware is
    hefty enough for WinXP? Many computers that came with Win98 pre-installed
    do not have the "horsepower" to run WinXP. Have you looked for information
    about WinXP and your specific model at the Toshiba website? My
    understanding is that many notebooks and other OEM computers have hidden
    partitions on their hard drives, holding essential files for those
    computers; does your Toshiba have such a partition, and has Partition Magic
    possibly damaged that partition?

    If you install WinXP drivers in WinXP, Win98 won't even know they are there.
    When the computer boots into Win98, it will ignore the WinXP boot volume,
    where all those WinXP drivers will be; if that is an NTFS volume, Win98
    won't even see the volume. WinXP handles hardware so fundamentally
    different from Win98 that any drivers that work with one version almost
    certainly will not work with the other. The WinXP CD-ROM has drivers for
    almost all current hardware.

    > The above describes my third attempt, each with the same result,
    > although the first two were attempts to install on a fat32 partition
    > at the end of my HDD.

    Win98 can't even SEE an NTFS volume, but WinXP mixes and matches FAT32 and
    NTFS as easily as it reads from a floppy (using FAT12) or a CD (using CDFS).

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    > Attempting to install xp on win98 as clean install (ie dual boot)
    >
    > Disconnected all periphs (bare notebook)
    >
    > Using Partition Magic, cleared unpartitioned space (4.5Gig) at end of
    > HDD
    >
    > Ran full scandisk - full surface test.
    >
    > Setup
    >
    > Chose NTFS in unpartitioned space - would have preferred fat32 but not
    > given the option by setup
    >
    > All going normally until middle of 'registering components' - '13
    > minutes to go - and it stuck - HDD making 'dit dah dit dah dah' over
    > and over again, for about ten minutes before I had to turn off the
    > power.
    >
    > The above describes my third attempt, each with the same result,
    > although the first two were attempts to install on a fat32 partition
    > at the end of my HDD.
    >
    > I have not yet upgraded drivers for my Tosh Sat Pro 6000 although I
    > know there are xp-compatible drivers available on the Tosh web site.
    > I didn't start out by installing these as I wasn't clear whether they
    > would also work with win98 - all part of this process of not
    > committing to XP until I know how it behaves.
    >
    > Has anyone any helpful ideas?

    Hi, P.

    Absolutely wrong!

    The golden rule is to always install the NEWEST Windows version LAST. WinXP
    Setup knows what to do with Win98, but Win98 never heard of WinXP. And
    Win98 knows nothing of dual-booting. Even when it is in a dual-boot
    computer, it doesn't know that any other operating system is installed. And
    each volume formatted as NTFS has an MFT - which is not the boss of
    anything. It does roughly the same job as the File Allocation Table in FAT
    file systems. It is a part of the FILE system, not the OPERATING system.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    In article <F8F9D402-6557-4D42-91F8-4C7F5AB0D7E5@microsoft.com>, "=?Utf-
    8?B?VGhlIFVua25vd24gUA==?=" <( mikisiw@msn.com )>, "=?Utf-8?B?
    VGhlIFVua25vd24gUA==?=" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> says...

    > Xp has to be installed first. Regardless of whether it's on another
    > partition. You have to have XP first and then isntall win98. I has to do wiht
    > the Master File Table. XP must be the boss or it won't work.

    True sort of, if you are a newbie to dual booting. One good thing about
    98 is that I can move it to any partition on my first drive. XP, 2k,
    always a pain in the ass with that.....modify boot ini blah, blah.

    I have 4 OS's on Disk0, all primaries, and not one controls the other.
    It's the beauty of a 3rd party boot manager and Partition Manager that
    makes it flawleess for me. Only kickback is the tricks I use to do it
    and try to explain it to someone, ai yai yai! If I boot to a XP pro boot
    disk to clean install to my 4th partition(example) XP sees the other 3
    primaries but are listed as "Inactive OS Manager" hence XP install WILL
    NOT modify to include them in its boot manager.......

    In news:F8F9D402-6557-4D42-91F8-4C7F5AB0D7E5@microsoft.com,
    The Unknown P <( mikisiw@msn.com )> typed:

    > Xp has to be installed first. Regardless of whether it's on
    > another
    > partition. You have to have XP first and then isntall win98.

    Completely false. In fact it's much easier the other way around.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    John wrote:
    > Attempting to install xp on win98 as clean install (ie dual boot)
    >
    > Disconnected all periphs (bare notebook)
    >
    > Using Partition Magic, cleared unpartitioned space (4.5Gig) at end of
    > HDD
    >
    > Ran full scandisk - full surface test.
    >
    > Setup
    >
    > Chose NTFS in unpartitioned space - would have preferred fat32 but not
    > given the option by setup
    >
    > All going normally until middle of 'registering components' - '13
    > minutes to go - and it stuck - HDD making 'dit dah dit dah dah' over
    > and over again, for about ten minutes before I had to turn off the
    > power.
    >
    > The above describes my third attempt, each with the same result,
    > although the first two were attempts to install on a fat32 partition
    > at the end of my HDD.
    >
    > I have not yet upgraded drivers for my Tosh Sat Pro 6000 although I
    > know there are xp-compatible drivers available on the Tosh web site.
    > I didn't start out by installing these as I wasn't clear whether they
    > would also work with win98 - all part of this process of not
    > committing to XP until I know how it behaves.
    >
    > Has anyone any helpful ideas?

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    The Unknown P wrote:
    > Xp has to be installed first. Regardless of whether it's on another
    > partition. You have to have XP first and then isntall win98. I has to do wiht
    > the Master File Table. XP must be the boss or it won't work.

    Wrong. The older OS should be installed first, for the simplest
    dual-booting, but that isn't necessary. Installing WinXP _before_ Win98
    makes it significantly more difficult, though not impossible, to later
    add Win98.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote:

    >Hi, John.
    >
    >MVP Rick Rogers and I have already responded to your post from yesterday on
    >this same subject. Have you seen those yet?

    I have, but the setup problem was a rather odd one, don't you think,
    and not necessarily a problem with my decision to put XP in a logical
    partition, E:, after another logical partition, D: in an extended
    partition, after the primary partition C: - all formatted in FAT32.

    And so it turns out - I was most fortunate in finding an answer when I
    googled on 'Winxp setup' and 'registering components' and '13 minutes'

    Its a problem which MS have referred to in connection with automated
    network installations but I found the reference and solution in a
    forum. Turns out that there is a particular stage in the
    registration, something to do with a server, when it can take up to an
    hour for the ribbon and the 'time to go' clock to start moving again.

    Thoroughly sceptical about this, I let it run and run - and sure
    enough, after 45 minutes, the setup process got started again and
    completed successfully.

    So, to give something back to the discussion, I now have three FAT
    partitions, one primary with the booting data and win98se, one for
    data and one with XP.

    All now seems fine.

    With my grateful thanks to you all.

    --
    John

    Hi, John.

    Glad you got it going! And thanks for the report back. I don't have a
    network, but many readers here do, and I'm sure many of them will be verrry
    interested in your finding about that 45-minute delay in Setup. I have also
    had several occasions, not just with WinXP Setup, but with various
    installations over the years, when I was tempted to "pull the plug" but
    decided to wait it out and eventually the darn thing worked.

    Enjoy your dual boot!

    RC
    --

    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, John.
    >>
    >>MVP Rick Rogers and I have already responded to your post from yesterday
    >>on
    >>this same subject. Have you seen those yet?
    >
    > I have, but the setup problem was a rather odd one, don't you think,
    > and not necessarily a problem with my decision to put XP in a logical
    > partition, E:, after another logical partition, D: in an extended
    > partition, after the primary partition C: - all formatted in FAT32.
    >
    > And so it turns out - I was most fortunate in finding an answer when I
    > googled on 'Winxp setup' and 'registering components' and '13 minutes'
    >
    > Its a problem which MS have referred to in connection with automated
    > network installations but I found the reference and solution in a
    > forum. Turns out that there is a particular stage in the
    > registration, something to do with a server, when it can take up to an
    > hour for the ribbon and the 'time to go' clock to start moving again.
    >
    > Thoroughly sceptical about this, I let it run and run - and sure
    > enough, after 45 minutes, the setup process got started again and
    > completed successfully.
    >
    > So, to give something back to the discussion, I now have three FAT
    > partitions, one primary with the booting data and win98se, one for
    > data and one with XP.
    >
    > All now seems fine.
    >
    > With my grateful thanks to you all.
    >
    > --
    > John

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote:

    >Hi, John.
    >
    >Glad you got it going! And thanks for the report back. I don't have a
    >network, but many readers here do, and I'm sure many of them will be verrry
    >interested in your finding about that 45-minute delay in Setup. I have also
    >had several occasions, not just with WinXP Setup, but with various
    >installations over the years, when I was tempted to "pull the plug" but
    >decided to wait it out and eventually the darn thing worked.

    Since this seems of interest, here is the MS KB article that relates:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=839492

Dual Boot Windows XP