Problem with Maxtor IDE drive

Ashikaa

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I have problem with Maxtor IDE 250GB.

It is used in USB closure. When I plug in computer it says "Found new hardware" but there is no hard drive display in My Computer. I also tried to open the USB closure and then plugged the drive to the computer by IDE cable. In the System Setup Mobo, it realizes the Maxtor 250GB but the drive is still gone in Window.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Ash

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Sturm nailed it head on.

I have 6 external HDD's, and you always need to go to disk managment and format the drive's before you can use them. In fact, I have a 250GB Maxtor IDE, and thats exactly what I did.

Give it a shot and get back to us.

Ashikaa

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I used it before and suddenly it does not show up anymore. Now if I format it I will lose all data. Any possible way to fix or to get the data? :x

mdmoy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
you may also have drive-letter conflict, which can also be resolved in storage management. If drive is connected via a USB hub, there could also be problem with not being correctly recognized, particularly if you have windows XP, SP2. Look at microsoft knowledge base for articles relating to usb 2 connectivity problems.

Another try is to delete usb root hubs in device manager and let them re-install. that sometimes clears up usb connectivity/device identification issues.