hankeypoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
This will be my first time building a PC so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I plan on using this PC for gaming and browsing the internet.
I don't have any plans to overclock it.
here's what I'm considering:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

Intel BOXDP965LTCK Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR533D2N4K2/2G - Retail

SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBN - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ATI 100-435843 Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card - Retail

Will that video card be okay even if I decide not to use crossfire?
And will that power supply work with everything, will it be able to power the graphics card?
Will the case and motherboard form factor be compatable with everything?
Anything major that I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dubplatepressure

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Thats a solid system, certainly runs mine underwater.

Your video card is fine, quite fine actually. I've heard horror stories from both Samsung roms and Lightscribes... just my experiences.

Dave101

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Hey, I'm not a first time builder but am building a very similar sys in the next few months.

Couple of things, deff. consider a 975x based mobo as these are supposed to be a lot more solid but as you say you are not looking to o/c then prob be okay.

That Gcard is awesome, I am going for the x1900 xt as I can't stretch to yours.

Check that the PSU you will get is adequate, Watts are not all that matters, Amps are important too.

See a thread about PSUs on this forum, sorry forgot the link.

Cheers
D

crichards

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Looks absolutely dandy to me - some good solid component choices - nice. The only thing I don't know about in the PSU - never heard of Rosewill before.

Personally I'd go for a Seasonic or a Tagan, but that's just me - most probably be fine.

One other thing is that your putting a crossfire-enabled graphics card into a motherboard that won't allow you to do crossfire if you decide to go that route in the future - it'll still work on it's own though.

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I'm assuming you will be reusing some components like monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc and already have an OS?

Video Card: Personally, with DX10 cards coming out in 2 weeks from NVidia and in January (edit: spelling mistake :oops: ) from ATI, I wouldn't be getting such a high end card at the moment.

I'd get the X1950Pro for $199.

Otherwise, wait at least until NVidia launches their DX10 cards which will probably force ATI to lower the price on the X1950XTX.

PSU: With the money you are spending, I'd buy a better PSU. The MSI Powerstream for 18 bucks more would be a better choice, here.

Check out the "sticky" called "PSU 101". That should help out in picking a better PSU. My recommended PSU's are Enermax, Antec, Thermaltake, Hiper, Seasonic. Not necessarily in that order.

Personally, I like the Hiper PSU's because of their molex connectors.

HDD: Seagate Barricuda 7200.10 320GB Perpendicular Drive SATA 3.0GB/s.

Optical Drive: NEC 3550A

Everything else looks good.

hankeypoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think I will go with the cheaper graphics card for now, and change PSU.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Antec TruePower Trio ftw!

Not to diminish my credibility with you or anything, because my recomendation for the Antec is good advice, but dude... whats up with that nickname, that is seriously some gay azz shiz...ROFL

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
pardon me, but would you happen to have any grey poopon?
far be it for me to tell you that your nickname might be a stain on your otherwise spotless santa hat.
ROFL come on dawg if you have to ask then i dont know what to tell you, but seriously are you a lonely jew? o_O LOL relax im just kidding around, a little elbow in the ribs never hurt anyone, gotta have some fun -=P

P.S. One of the Antec TruePower Trio's less commonly known features is it is Poo resistant bwhahahaha

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
hey everything in your PC is okay except the motherboard don't get intel original boards you wont be able to fit an SLI/Cross fire card and besides that they barely offer anything for your price try the ASROCK series or gigabyte or MSI or ASUS anything excepy intel original boards .

TRENDING THREADS