Canon MP370 scanner hanging

Mike

Splendid

Hi,

I'm trying to sort a problem out for a friend of mine.

He's running a 700Mhz Celeron computer Windows ME with 64MB PC133
SDRAM, Gigabyte GA-6WMM7 mainboard, plenty of spare disk space on a
10Gb disk.

The device will scan intermittently on 75dpi but hangs when pushed up
to 150dpi never mind 300dpi.

I presumed it was lack of RAM and tried my stick of 256MB PC100 SDRAM
but there was no change in the scanning operation, it kept hanging.
Was this because it was PC100 and not PC133 RAM?

I've installed the MP370 onto my machine, AMD 500Mhz, 256 PC100 SDRAM,
Windows XP, 120Gb hard disk and while it says that the USB device is
High Speed and my ports are not and it may run at a slower speed it
scans OK at all ranges of DPI without hanging.

Has anyone any advice,

thanks in advance

Mike

"Mike" <dreamtheaterfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to sort a problem out for a friend of mine.
>
> He's running a 700Mhz Celeron computer Windows ME with 64MB PC133
> SDRAM, Gigabyte GA-6WMM7 mainboard, plenty of spare disk space on a
> 10Gb disk.
>
> The device will scan intermittently on 75dpi but hangs when pushed up
> to 150dpi never mind 300dpi.
>
> I presumed it was lack of RAM and tried my stick of 256MB PC100 SDRAM
> but there was no change in the scanning operation, it kept hanging.
> Was this because it was PC100 and not PC133 RAM?
>
> I've installed the MP370 onto my machine, AMD 500Mhz, 256 PC100 SDRAM,
> Windows XP, 120Gb hard disk and while it says that the USB device is
> High Speed and my ports are not and it may run at a slower speed it
> scans OK at all ranges of DPI without hanging.
>
> Has anyone any advice,
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Mike

Since you have no trouble on your computer, you know that there is nothing
wrong with the scanner or the scanner's software.

Check the Virtual memory setting on his computer. Make sure there is enough,
allow at least 50 MB.

I would guess his real bottle neck is the 10 GB hard drive, I would bet that
it is nearly full or the Partition where the Temp folder is located is
nearly full or the Virtual memory is too low.

Your HD is 12 times the size that his is and probably not even close to
full.
To scan a 8.5 X 11 inch at 300 dpi takes, for gray scale, 8,415,000 bytes of
temp storage on the HD. Color, Multiply by 3= 25.245 MB of temp storage.

You have USB 1.1 ports, which is what the warning is about. That just means
that the data transfer is slower.

To get more space do a Drive clean up.

--
CSM1