XP Home PC hardwired to router and XP Pro Laptop wireless ..

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I am having some problems networking my pc and laptop wirelessly.

The PC has Windows XP Home (SP2) hardwired to the router and the Laptop
has Win XP Pro with a Belkin wireless card. I am using a BT (2Wire
1800hg) router with a built in internet firewall.

The PC and the laptop have no firewalls active on them.

The PC can see the laptop in the workgroup, but cannot open it
(\\LaptopName is unaccessible > > The network path was not found).

The laptop cannot access the workgroup (\\NetworkName is not accessible
> > The list of servers on this workgroup is not currently available).

Both can access the internet through the router and both are showing as
connected in the 2Wire configuration utility (not much use IMO).

The laptop can ping the PC but cannot access any of the shares.

The PC cannot ping the laptop or access any of the shares.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Paul
18 answers Last reply
More about home hardwired router laptop wireless
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "phelyer" <phelyer@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1126892774.786860.263540
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > I am having some problems networking my pc and laptop wirelessly.
    >
    > The PC has Windows XP Home (SP2) hardwired to the router and the Laptop
    > has Win XP Pro with a Belkin wireless card. I am using a BT (2Wire
    > 1800hg) router with a built in internet firewall.
    >
    > The PC and the laptop have no firewalls active on them.
    >
    > The PC can see the laptop in the workgroup, but cannot open it
    > (\\LaptopName is unaccessible > > The network path was not found).
    >
    > The laptop cannot access the workgroup (\\NetworkName is not accessible
    >> > The list of servers on this workgroup is not currently available).
    >
    > Both can access the internet through the router and both are showing as
    > connected in the 2Wire configuration utility (not much use IMO).
    >
    > The laptop can ping the PC but cannot access any of the shares.
    >
    > The PC cannot ping the laptop or access any of the shares.
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA.
    > Paul

    It usually comes down to the protocols being used on the NIC's.

    I run with the following:

    1) MS File and Print sharing
    2) Networking for MS networks
    3) Internet protocol TCP/IP
    4) Everything else is removed from all NIC's

    That worked for me on Win 2K Pro machine and now they are XP Pro machines
    wired and wireless NIC(s).

    You can also use MS NWLINK which I used before the above solution was
    used to allow wire and wireless machines to share resounces.

    Long version

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en
    -us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-
    us/prch_cnn_lafg.asp

    Short version

    http://tinyurl.com/cufk7

    When I was using MS NWlink, I was using IPsec to protect the NetBios
    NWLink is using behind the router on the Windows Networking ports. It's
    on the XP O/S too.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    The implentation of the AnalogX SecPol rules will give you the protection
    on the LAN machines and the Windows networking ports automatically when
    implemeted. However, the AnalogX rules will block file dowanload using
    the High ports > 1024 so you either diable IPsec or you set the ruuls to
    open the prticular High port that is needed, which you can use Active
    Ports (free) to determine what ports are being used. You learn how to set
    the rules by looking at other AnalogX rules.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813878

    I worked with a guy who has two XP pro machines using a wired Linksys
    router and the machines would not network even using the above setup on
    the NIC's. He implemented MS NWlink and never looked back.

    Duane :)
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Try to install NetBEUI protocol on both machines.
    Seems XP home needs that so fa unsupoported protocol to work.
    Tardus
    ===========================
    "phelyer" <phelyer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am having some problems networking my pc and laptop wirelessly.
    >
    > The PC has Windows XP Home (SP2) hardwired to the router and the Laptop
    > has Win XP Pro with a Belkin wireless card. I am using a BT (2Wire
    > 1800hg) router with a built in internet firewall.
    >
    > The PC and the laptop have no firewalls active on them.
    >
    > The PC can see the laptop in the workgroup, but cannot open it
    > (\\LaptopName is unaccessible > > The network path was not found).
    >
    > The laptop cannot access the workgroup (\\NetworkName is not accessible
    >> > The list of servers on this workgroup is not currently available).
    >
    > Both can access the internet through the router and both are showing as
    > connected in the 2Wire configuration utility (not much use IMO).
    >
    > The laptop can ping the PC but cannot access any of the shares.
    >
    > The PC cannot ping the laptop or access any of the shares.
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA.
    > Paul

  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > When I was using MS NWlink, I was using IPsec to protect the NetBios
    > NWLink is using behind the router on the Windows Networking ports. It's
    > on the XP O/S too.

    Explain how you would use IPSec which is for IP hence "IP Security"
    policies to work with NWLink which is Microsofts implementation of the
    Xerox (and then later Novell) Internetwork Packet Exchange protocol
    (IPX).

    FWIW, NWlink doesn't use NetBIOS rather NetBIOS sits on top of NWlink to
    provide a programming interface rather than use the sockets programming
    interface offered by NWlink.

    Or is that not what you're saying above?
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    I really am tired of you David you are worst than a two year old running
    around in a Pamper. And I don't want to hear your BS about keep it
    technical, because technically, you can stick it right up your ass.
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > Explain how you would use IPSec which is for IP hence "IP Security"
    > policies to work with NWLink which is Microsofts implementation of the
    > Xerox (and then later Novell) Internetwork Packet Exchange protocol
    > (IPX).

    And one other thing you ass wipe, I was working on the Novell server
    platform back in 1996 through 1999 using LWLink on Win 3.x or/and DOS 6.22,
    Win 9'x and Win NT 4 workstations and know what NWlink is about before the
    facility went to all MS Win 2K servers and workstations in 1999. I didn't
    need a damn history lesson from you on it.
  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Thanks all for your responses, but can't we all just get along? ;)

    >>Try it by IP address instead:
    >> Start -> Run ->
    >> \\192.168.1.xxx

    I tried this, but it did nothing at all (or at least nothing I could
    see)

    >> Ummmm, try it like this:
    >> NET VIEW /WORKGROUP:workgroup_name

    Again, nothing visible happened

    >>Can I assume that both machines have IP addresses assigned by the
    >>DHCP server inside the 2wire router? If either is statically assigned,
    >>switch it to DCHP (server assigned IP, gateway, netmask, DNS).

    Yes, that is correct. Everything shows "Obtain IP addresses
    automatically

    Finally, only one is cabled to the router and it is using the cable
    that came with the router (but I have also tried replacing the cable).

    I have also had another laptop hardwired to the router and it worked
    perfectly so I am assuming that this is something to do with the
    wireless only (although it is entirely possible that I don't know what
    I am talking about).

    Any other sugestions gang?

    I will try to read through the other posts and work out what is a
    suggestion and what is an arguement later today.

    Many thanks.
    Paul
  7. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On 16 Sep 2005 10:46:14 -0700, "phelyer" <phelyer@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The PC and the laptop have no firewalls active on them.

    OK, that eliminates the obvious problem.

    >The PC can see the laptop in the workgroup, but cannot open it
    >(\\LaptopName is unaccessible > > The network path was not found).

    Try it by IP address instead:
    Start -> Run ->
    \\192.168.1.xxx
    It should show the same directory listing as using the NETBIOS name.
    This is a common problem when the Windoze Browser Election kludge
    screws up. Doing it by IP address directly bypasses the NETBIOS to IP
    name resolution pretzel.

    >The laptop cannot access the workgroup (\\NetworkName is not accessible
    >> > The list of servers on this workgroup is not currently available).

    Ummmm, try it like this:
    NET VIEW /WORKGROUP:workgroup_name

    >Both can access the internet through the router and both are showing as
    >connected in the 2Wire configuration utility (not much use IMO).

    Can I assume that both machines have IP addresses assigned by the DHCP
    server inside the 2wire router? If either is statically assigned,
    switch it to DCHP (server assigned IP, gateway, netmask, DNS).

    >The laptop can ping the PC but cannot access any of the shares.
    >The PC cannot ping the laptop or access any of the shares.

    OK, this is bad. I had exactly the same problem this week. New
    laptop was acting strange. Sometimes would not get a DHCP assigned IP
    on reboot. Other machine was also doing weird things like hanging in
    the middle of downloads. One machine could ping the other, but not
    the reverse. Both had no difficulty connecting to the internet.
    Both went to a common 8 port ethernet switch.

    After tinkering with the network settings, I started to suspect the
    hardware. I eventually found that BOTH ethernet cables were wired
    wrong with split pairs. Of course, I replaced the cables one at a
    time so finding this took a bit longer than usual. After replacing
    the cables, they could ping each other.

    So, start with replacing the cables. Use ping to do the testing as
    it's the fastest and is a fundamental requirement for connectivity.
    Use:
    IPCONFIG
    to verify that the IP addresses are what you think they are and have
    not changed during the testing.

    It'a also good form to have duplicated accounts on both machines. If
    you get an error message where Windoze demands a password to open a
    share, it's probably due to the lack of a common user account.

    Also, make sure that the workgroup name is the same on both machines.
    Right click on My Computah. Select System Name.

    # 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
    # http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
    # http://802.11junk.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # jeffl@cruzio.com
  8. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Duane,

    Fair play - if you don't get along, you don't get along :)

    I am still at a bit of a loss though - this is my first wireless
    network and I am well and truly stumped.

    Can you give me any links that explain what I would need to do in words
    of one syllable?

    Many thanks (and enjoy Reno - got to be better than London)
    Paul
  9. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On 17 Sep 2005 02:49:50 -0700, "phelyer" <phelyer@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks all for your responses, but can't we all just get along? ;)

    I'm not part of the ongoing pissing match.

    >>>Try it by IP address instead:
    >>> Start -> Run ->
    >>> \\192.168.1.xxx
    >
    >I tried this, but it did nothing at all (or at least nothing I could
    >see)

    I'll assume that DHCP delivered valid IP addresses and that you're not
    trying to use 169.254.xxx.xxx. If you're getting 169.254.xxx.xxx,
    then DHCP didn't work.

    Also try to ping yourself to see if that works. It should.

    Try it using the various computers pointing to themselves:
    \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_MACHINE
    \\NETBIOS_NAME
    or perhaps:
    \\127.0.0.1
    If it shows available shares, you have file sharing and most of
    Windoze networking enabled and functioning. If it still shows
    nothing, then you probably have file sharing turned off and will see
    nothing.

    If you wanna dive deeper, try:
    Start -> Run -> cmd <enter>
    NET CONFIG WORKSTATION
    NET CONFIG SERVER
    NET STATISTICS WORKSTATION
    NET STATISTICS SERVER
    NBTSTAT -n
    NETSTAT -n
    If it really is a wireless problem, these won't show much. However,
    if you have something wrong with networking on the XP Pro Laptop (a
    model number would be nice), then these will usually offer some clues.
    (Please don't post the output).

    >Finally, only one is cabled to the router and it is using the cable
    >that came with the router (but I have also tried replacing the cable).

    Temporarily disable the wireless on the XP Pro Laptop and plug in a
    wired ethernet cable. Duz that work? If so, then Windoze networking
    and sharing is setup correctly.

    You mentioned that you can browse the internet via the wireless XP Pro
    laptop. Can you verify this again. If the two computers can both see
    the internet, and you're absolutely sure there's no personal firewall
    software running on either machine, they should see each other just
    fine.

    >I have also had another laptop hardwired to the router and it worked
    >perfectly so I am assuming that this is something to do with the
    >wireless only...

    It possible that it's the wireless, but methinks you should first
    verify that it's not the operating system or set by bypassing the
    wireless with an ethernet cable.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  10. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > Duane, once again slowly, IPSec is an IP only security option, it has
    > NOTHING to do with NWLink.

    Well David listen to me *slowly*. I can use IPsec to do whatever I want to
    do, because it has a limited FW like ability to protect a machine as the OP
    indicates he was not using a packet filter/personal FW solution on the
    machines. It's just another solution. IPseccan stop inbound or outbound
    traffic by port, protocol, IP, Subnet mask and by DNS and it's being talked
    about in the links I have provided concerning IPsec being used in a FW like
    manner.

    You bring up NetBIOS and I showed you where IPsec can be used to protect a
    machine in a NetBIOS situation. And now you're on some BS about NWlink,
    which I absolutely don't give a *rat's ass* as to what you're talking
    about.

    I am tired of you David (you absolute Pamper pissing *clown*) and I want
    you to listen slowly. From now on, you can kiss my ass with your *Tongue*
    hanging out.

    I am about to <PLONK> your university college boy tired/trifling ass so I
    don't see you.

    I am on my way to Reno.

    Duane
  11. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > Thanks all for your responses, but can't we all just get along? ;)

    Hey you're welcome and I hope something's I have suggested will help you
    out. No, I cannot get along with that *clown* David that continues to act
    like a little *bitch* with his he is a *bitch* postings. ;-)

    Duane :)
  12. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > Duane,
    >
    > Fair play - if you don't get along, you don't get along :)
    >
    > I am still at a bit of a loss though - this is my first wireless
    > network and I am well and truly stumped.
    >
    > Can you give me any links that explain what I would need to do in words
    > of one syllable?

    I got another hour on so before I hit the road but I got to leave to take
    care of a couple things before I hit the road to Chicago to catch the flight
    to Reno.

    Make sure you take care of the basics first.

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    As far as getting the sharing going between two machines using a router, I
    would to do with all wire first to make sure there are no issue in sharing
    resources between machine before trying it all wirelessly or a wire/wireless
    connections between machines. And by the way, the AnalogX implementation of
    IPsec rules will allow the machine to network when implemented and still
    protect them on the LAN.

    What kind of basic information are you looking for which you can most
    likely find by using Google?

    I got to make a run I'll be back.

    Duane :)
  13. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > machines. It's just another solution. IPseccan stop inbound or outbound
    > traffic by port, protocol, IP, Subnet mask and by DNS and it's being talked
    > about in the links I have provided concerning IPsec being used in a FW like
    > manner.

    Yep fine, for IP but then you said...

    "When I was using MS NWlink, I was using IPsec to protect the NetBios
    NWLink is using behind the router on the Windows Networking ports. It's
    on the XP O/S too."

    > And now you're on some BS about NWlink,
    > which I absolutely don't give a *rat's ass* as to what you're talking
    > about.

    You brought it up and it was all bollocks.
  14. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    I don't care anymore David stop posting to me acting like a *bitch*.

    <PLANK> -- soft logical <plonk>

    Signing off until Reno
  15. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Jeff,

    Thanks for sticking with me here.

    The IP addresses are all 192.168.1.XX.

    The PC and laptop can ping themselves both by name and by IP address.

    Net view \\machine_name and net view \\IP_addr both show the shares
    when I do it for the system I am using, but not when I do it for the
    networked system (it then says XXXXXXXX).

    The set of commands you suggested (Net Config Workstation onwards) I
    have tried, but do not really understand, although both show
    Workstation Domain DNS Name as Null - although I do not know if this
    should be anything. What should I look out for in these results?

    The laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-F403 and it has XP Pro with no service
    pack.

    I have connected the laptop directly to the router with a cable and it
    all worked as expected, file shares and internet.

    Using wireless the laptop is able to use the internet connection
    without a problem. The laptop has no third party firewall installed,
    and as far as I know the original (non service pack) XP has no
    firewall, at least I can't see it to switch it off in the same way as I
    have on the XP Home machine.

    Many thanks,
    Paul
  16. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Also, the router has a built in software firewall which it says is an
    internet only firewall. It will allow me to add applications to the
    allowed list, but these seem to be various games only.

    Even so, if it were blocking the laptop, would this not still happen if
    the laptop were hardwired? When physically connected the network is
    fine and dandy.

    It has got to be a wireless issue hasn't it?

    Makes me wish I hadn't started.
    :)
  17. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On 18 Sep 2005 02:12:31 -0700, "phelyer" <phelyer@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The IP addresses are all 192.168.1.XX.

    OK. DHCP is working.

    >The PC and laptop can ping themselves both by name and by IP address.

    The IP stack is working.

    >Net view \\machine_name and net view \\IP_addr both show the shares
    >when I do it for the system I am using, but not when I do it for the
    >networked system (it then says XXXXXXXX).

    Network sharing is enabled.

    >The laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-F403 and it has XP Pro with no service
    >pack.

    You really should install all the XP updates. If you've been using it
    like this for a while, it's possible that you've picked up a worm or
    spyware. The symptoms don't make sense but it is possible. Do you
    have a virus scanner and spyware scanner? Have you run scans? If the
    machine has been checked and is clean, I would try to run Windows
    Update, especially XP SP2.

    >I have connected the laptop directly to the router with a cable and it
    >all worked as expected, file shares and internet.

    OK, that largely eliminates Windoze networking as the problem and
    leaves only the wireless part. Please double check that the computer
    can both ping each other with a wired connection.

    >Using wireless the laptop is able to use the internet connection
    >without a problem.

    OK. You have wireless connectivity. Are you getting reliable and
    fast internet preformance with the Sony using wireless? I'm trying to
    determine if the wireless is just limping along or properly
    functioning. A high error rate on the wireless connection might cause
    a similar problem.

    >The laptop has no third party firewall installed,
    >and as far as I know the original (non service pack) XP has no
    >firewall, at least I can't see it to switch it off in the same way as I
    >have on the XP Home machine.

    XP SP1 *DOES* have a firewall of sorts. I don't have virgin XP SP1
    installation handy to find the exact location of the configuration
    page. It moved in XP SP2. I vaguely recall that it was located under
    the advanced properties for the ethernet or wireless device and listed
    as a checkbox with something like "Protect my machine...". However,
    that's probably not the problem as it would have messed up the wired
    LAN connection in addition to wireless.

    I hate to give up, but I'm out of ideas. It's not the router because
    there's no "client isolation" feature on the 2wire 1800HG router.
    That would't be it because it works in one direction. Look around the
    1800HG wireless config pages and see if there's some setting that
    resembles "client isolation" or "AP isolation". It's probably not
    there but worth a try.

    The inability to ping in one direction only is the only remaining
    clue. That exactly resembles the symptoms I saw with a wired LAN
    connection that had miswired cables. I suspect the wireless
    equivalent would be a broken wireless driver on the Sony client
    computer. Unfortunately, I don't have any positive proof that this is
    the problem. Everything else seems to be working so that leaves the
    wireless hardware and wireless software (drivers). Methinks checking
    for wireless driver updates might be a good idea.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  18. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > The laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-F403 and it has XP Pro with no service
    > pack.
    >
    > I have connected the laptop directly to the router with a cable and it
    > all worked as expected, file shares and internet.

    So, is the wireless router using WEP or WPA? If so for the time being,
    disable the wireless encryption on the router and card and see if the
    machines can share resources with each other.

    You should apply the SP 2 along with some other possible security like using
    Authenticated User Group on Shares and disabling the Everyone Group.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane from Reno :)

Laptops Routers Windows XP Wireless Networking