Sign in with
Your question

Wireless keyboard and mouse

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 12, 2002 8:36:55 PM

I am looking at getting a wireless mouse and keyboard for my desktop. I was wondering if anyone else has either or both and can tell me how the performance is in common use and games. I am looking mostly at the logitech sets. Are they any good and are they worth getting? My computer has SO many peripherals plugged into it, I am trying to cut down on the wires. Thank you.
April 12, 2002 8:56:41 PM

The best is the Intel wireless gear. $30-50 will get you the complete set (base station, keyboard, mouse and gampead) on eBay. These 4 items were around $200-250 when they first came out. However, this stuff has extremely high battery useage (rechargeable batteries would be the way to go), and the mouse is ball, not optical. There aren't any other downsides I can think of.

I have a Logitech iTouch wireless keyboard. It has a very short range (a friend of mine has the Intel keyboard and said it works up to 50 feet away), but otherwise is fine. Battery usage is great, and it's not too pricey.

I wouldn't go for any wireless mice except for the Intel one, the lag seemed satisfactory at first, but drove me crazy eventually.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 13, 2002 5:33:30 PM

My dad use the logitech wireless optical and it's awful, not enough that it chews up battery like it's free, but the damn thing lag when you play games. you move the mouse and a second later it follow, thank god I played with his before going out and getting one.

Also it's too bad they don't make wireless optical mouse that would use a small 12V battery like the one in car remotes. It would last a while since it only need 3V, would a lot lighter because of the small battery and able to make the mouse small. I find the ones out now way too big and compared to my optical with cord, they are too heavy.

My fav is still the dual optical with cord. No clue about the keyboards, but make sure you will not have problems using more than one key at the time while playing, I exchanged a few logitech keyboards because of that and ended up with a MS Internet one. This one doesn't mind 4 keys at once while playing. :)  My next keyboard going to be the MS with even more extra buttons on it, got so used to hitting buttons to do/start something instead of using the mouse. Not sure about getting it cordless, but might try it and see.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>
Related resources
April 14, 2002 12:00:20 AM

I use the logitech wireless optical freedom, or whats it called, the one with keyboard and mouse wireless and the mouse is optical. and the whole set is black, anyway it looks good and feels good, but the mouse is not used for high speed games. but the mouse works real good for office use. the battery use is a joke, what you do is when you local store have a big sale on batteries, you stack up with a couple of packs, and then its not that expesive. i went to sam's club and got 24 energizer max batteries for only 11.99. which makes it not that expsive ove rthe long run. i change batteries each 6-8 weeks
April 14, 2002 1:38:59 PM

Lucky you, my dad change them weekly because he get the low battery message. Now he got 2 sets of rechargables and that makes it a lot cheaper.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>
April 15, 2002 12:58:32 PM

I have a logitech optical cordless and its AWESOME, best mouse I even had and wouldnt change it (cant remember the exact model number- its the blue and silver one). Batteries last about 2 months or so.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
April 18, 2002 12:20:13 AM

i think wireless is terrible!!....your always changing batteries and stuff.....skrew that...

This Community is like a Second Family!!
April 18, 2002 11:55:45 AM

yeah but its one less wire, and a major annoyance I had in the past with corded mice was the cable getting in the way, new batteries ever month or two is a more than fair exchange (in my opinion)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
April 18, 2002 4:00:20 PM

Chaning the batteries every 4 months isn't that much of a hassle for me.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 19, 2002 4:27:07 AM

You don't break out in a sweat doing it.
It's pretty easy. Really!

:smile: <b><font color=green> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=green></b> :lol: 
!