Windows 7 install hangs on "starting windows" screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi all.

When I run the Windows 7 Home Premium OEM disc I get past "loading files" and then freeze on "starting windows". I see 4 little colored balls in the center of the screen (guessing the start of the MSFT logo) and then everything freezes.

Here's what I've got:

Monitor: Samsung T260HD 25.5in Rose/Black LCD w/ATSC

HDD: 2 x Seagate 1.5TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

Memory: Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz (3x2)

DVD: LG 22X DVDRW SATA

Motherboard: ASUS P6TD Deluxe Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB

Power Supply: Corsair 950w 80 Plus Power Supply

GPU: 5850 is backordered, so am using an old Nvidia 6600 GT to attempt to install Windows - connected to monitor with DVI cable

I've done lots of research and tried:

1. Using a PS2 keyboard/mouse
2. Disabling USB in bios
3. Disabling just about everything else in bios
4. Tried w/ 2MB, 4MB and 6MB ram

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
Hi Stentorian,

I actually have been in the same situation as you for about the last week or so... every night trying various bios changes / swapping out hardware but with no results. I have the same motherboard and powersupply as you and after coming across your thread and noticing the similarity i finally ripped out my PSU from my old PC and threw it into the new one.

Anyway to make a long story short Windows 7 booted up to the installation screen without a hitch. I am now currently installing it. I'm going to try to put the Corsair 950 PSU back in the unit after installation and i'll let you know how that goes. But anyway incase the repair people you gave it over to havent swapped out the PSU -- call them up and ask them to give...
Freezing during the Windows logo start up screen is most likely a driver issue.

Do you install the latest chipset drivers, dowloaded from Intel and not from the Asus disk? Did you apply all the Win7 updates, if any? Did you install the latest audio and gpu drivers from the manufacturer, and not from the Asus install disk?

/agree with Chunky

Disconnect everything that's not essential - especially USB devices. Use safe mode to manually install current drivers for anything you can't run without (GPU, etc).

You can also try to repair the installation, check system files, etc.

I had a similar problem, though the freeze at the "starting windows" screen would go on to load windows after 1-2 minutes.

The problem for me was I had a memory card reader plugged into a USB header. In the BIOS, there was an option for "Legacy USB Storage Detection" that was enabled by default. After that option was disabled I was able to have my card reader installed without hanging the system.

As others have suggested, unplug anything not required to boot up and if you have anything plugged into your onboard USB then check for a similar option in your BIOS and disable it.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hey all. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I wasn't clear - this is a brand new home built computer. The freeze happens during attempted installation of Windows 7 from disc. I have disabled everything I possibly can disable through bios and I am using a PS2 mouse/keyboard. All new components, including brand new HDDs.

Since last night I tried a Radeon 4850 GPU with both VGA and DVI cables on the theory that maybe there was a problem with the old Nvidia GPU. Win7 install hangs at exactly the same spot at "starting windows" screen right after completing the "loading files" screen with the progress bar on the bottom.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I've tried AHCI, SATA and IDE. Last night I tried with one HDD only in both IDE and AHCI.

Hardware build took ~3 hours and booted to bios without a hitch. OS install is approaching 1 week. Lol.

I've posted here, to Microsoft forums, Asus forums - no solution yet. :-(

I googled a bit and this seems to be a very common problem...

Some things to try that you haven't listed above that I saw others having success with:

Update the BIOS
Disable USB keyboard and USB mouse in BIOS
Disable LAN in BIOS
Disable FDD in BIOS
Eject the Win7 DVD after it freezes, and reinsert
Wait 30+ minutes for the system to finally continue

You may have tried some of these. Post back what you find out.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
rwpritchett,

Thanks for all the googling on my behalf. I think we probably found some of the same information. I've even tried the eject DVD and reinsert method, but to no avail. Tonight I will systematically go through everything on the list again with one HDD in IDE and see if it works.

I will definitely report back when I find a solution. If I can save just one person the agony I am going through I will have made the world a better place. :)

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Okay, new piece of information that at least confirms all my hardware is working properly. Found my old XP pro install discs and am able to install XP.

Windows 7 just doesn't like my setup, which is really strange because what I have is not out of the ordinary for an i7 920 build.

The saga continues...

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I conceded defeat and took the puter to a professional. The preliminary diagnosis is a bad Windows 7 OEM DVD. The tech said he's seen it happen before. If that turns out to be what wasted all my free time for a week then it will only further endear Microsoft to me.

aav_

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I had alike problem with installing windows 7 before it released. I gave up and returned to windows xp pro. After release, friend had downloaded and gave me windows 7 corporate ISO image. It installed without problems and I'm running it for 2 weeks.
But, there is a little problem: when I'd changed bios settings to over clocking profile 15% on start-up windows hangs before logo creates. When I'd changed settings to previous, it boots OK.
I'll try to do over clock and then do repairing. Think, that win7 understands over clocking like new hardware installation. We'll see.

truendor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hi Stentorian,

I actually have been in the same situation as you for about the last week or so... every night trying various bios changes / swapping out hardware but with no results. I have the same motherboard and powersupply as you and after coming across your thread and noticing the similarity i finally ripped out my PSU from my old PC and threw it into the new one.

Anyway to make a long story short Windows 7 booted up to the installation screen without a hitch. I am now currently installing it. I'm going to try to put the Corsair 950 PSU back in the unit after installation and i'll let you know how that goes. But anyway incase the repair people you gave it over to havent swapped out the PSU -- call them up and ask them to give that a whirl... hopefully it'll fix your problem!

Solution

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Truendor,

Thanks for the info. If it's not the Windows 7 DVD I'll tell the repair folks to try a different PSU. I'll be surprised if it's the PSU; I've heard nothing but good things about Corsair PSUs and 950 watts is more than enough for what I'm running!

Let me know if your Corsair PSU works after you install Win7 with your old PSU.

truendor

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Still couldn't get it to boot past Starting Windows after putting the corsair psu back in after windows 7 was fully installed and operational. I tried changing every setting in the bios related to power but with no results. I guess i'll just return this and get something else but honestly i'm still at a loss as to why it is causing this problem.

Well -- let me know if its the psu thats causing your issue i'm kind of curious at this point as i've never heard of a problem like this.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Strange. Did you try connecting power to the motherboard with the 24-pin only and without the 8-pin EAX connection?

My computer is still in the shop so I can't try it myself.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
The tech tried a different Win7 DVD, Vista and Ubuntu and same problem - crash during install. I incorrectly reported that XP installed - that was not the case, it got further than Win7, but never fully installed.

Harware looks fine. Memory passed memtest.

I mentioned truendor's suggestion about the power supply and the tech will try a different power supply today. I'll report back.

Bad luck for a first build...

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Stentorian

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Truendor wins the prize!

The problem was the Corsair 950TX power supply.

The computer was able to install Windows 7 without a hitch after swapping in a different PSU. I might be a dope for giving Corsair another try, but I went with (the more expensive) 1000HX.

Anyone with a 950TX and problems installing an OS, try a new PSU!

jrgoco

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I would like to add that I encountered the same problem with an Asus Rampage 2 Extreme + I7 920 using 950tx. Got a 1000hx and win7 installed fine. It doesn't seem that the 950tx is defective.. probably it is incompatible with Asus x58 boards? I had high hopes for the single railed 950tx.. sigh!

Knoke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'm so happy I found this thread after hours of searching Google. I went through the exact same problem with this particular setup. Replaced it with a 1000HX from Corsair and everything is fine. Weirdest hardware issue I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.