Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 (new build) won't recognize SSD

Last response: in Windows 8
December 8, 2012 4:25:45 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to install windows 8 in a new build. The BIOS recognizes the SSD but when I use the windows 8 OEM disk to install it doesn't recognize the drive.

I've searched and tried several ideas but can't get this fixed.

What I've tried
* REmoved HDD so only the SSD shows
* Tried to format the SSD drive but the installation disk says it can't format it.
* Tried looking for device drivers to use for the SSD but can't seem to find these.

Any ideas? Frustrating to get this close but not be able to cross the finish line.
a b * Windows 8
December 8, 2012 4:32:41 PM

A little more info about you system would be helpful. Do you see the hdd, when installing win8? Is the ssd connected to a different sata controller, that needs drivers to be recognized? Did you try a different sata port?
m
l
December 8, 2012 4:32:56 PM

Do you have another computer to hook the drive up to and do a quick format on it?
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
December 8, 2012 4:34:10 PM

Is your SSD connected to a raid controller or a cache controller?
if so, the boot disk will not see the drive unless it has the device driver for the controller (you may have to provide the driver during setup). See if you can move the SSD to another port on your primary controller.

the device driver you will be looking for is the one for your SATA controller(s) on your motherboard.

m
l
December 8, 2012 4:41:42 PM

OK, to answer the questions below

* I don't have another computer to format the SSD Drive

New build uses the following

I7- 3770
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4-TH Intel Z77 Motherboard
Gigabyte 660 TI graphics card
Intell 330 Series SSD 240 GM
WD 1TB Caviar HDD
Coolermaster GX 650 GPU

* The SSD is connected to the Sata port #1 using ACHI (Not RAID)

* I did see the HDD when I ran through the first time but saw other posts that said I had to only have the SSD attached to a Sata port to install to SSD and then to reattach the HDD later.

Thanks for any help you can provide here!

Steve

Breadmanben said:
Hello,

I'm trying to install windows 8 in a new build. The BIOS recognizes the SSD but when I use the windows 8 OEM disk to install it doesn't recognize the drive.

I've searched and tried several ideas but can't get this fixed.

What I've tried
* REmoved HDD so only the SSD shows
* Tried to format the SSD drive but the installation disk says it can't format it.
* Tried looking for device drivers to use for the SSD but can't seem to find these.

Any ideas? Frustrating to get this close but not be able to cross the finish line.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 8, 2012 5:01:59 PM

1) You only have an Intel controller for HDD, so no problem with 3rd party controller.
2) SSD should be attacted to the SATA III (6) port, You have 2.
3) Before I ever install a OS on a New Build two things I ALWAYS Do.
.. A) Run memtest From a Bootable drive for 4 -> 6 Hours. memory errors can play havoc with a Installation.
.. B) Verify that you have the Latest Mother Board Bios Revision. Go to Gigabyte Support and verify. This some times corrects problems with SSD installation. If Update to BIOS is indicated, DO A first!!!

4) Since You have already tried installation, Select Custom Install. On page showing the drive select advanced and Delete any and all partitions if present. Then select the Unpartitioned drive to install OS to.
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:07:38 PM

ok, I figured this out by installing windows 8 to my HDD and then formatting the SSD and then I installed it to my SSD.

How do I now go back and uninstall my original installation to the HDD?
m
l
!