How long have hard disks larger than 137 gb existed?

a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a large
disk

Were they common a year ago?

Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)

Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
BIOS Date: 07/18/03
BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:06 PM

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
| Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
large
| disk
|
| Were they common a year ago?
|
| Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
|
| Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
| BIOS Date: 07/18/03
| BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
| BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post, which
indicated that he had no trouble finsing the information you're groping for,
and that your BIOS will support 48-bit LBA? Maybe you should crosspost to
about 50 more groups.
December 9, 2004 11:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Kenny,

I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running SP2,
your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no problem.
I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive, the
system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this helps.

"Kenny S" wrote:

> Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a large
> disk
>
> Were they common a year ago?
>
> Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
>
> Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hard drives larger then 137GB were out a year ago.
They also shipped with a PCI ATA controller, as a lot
of their customer's motherboard bios did not support 48-bit addressing.
(people with motherboards from 2000,2001,2002)
It was about mid 2003 that ECS came out with a bios update
that allowed my K7S5A PRO motherboard controllers to work with larger then
137GBs.
My K7S5A PRO's bios is dated 8/2003, only one month newer then yours.

This website offers help with your situation
http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm

> Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
> large disk
>
> Were they common a year ago?
>
> Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
>
> Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:07 PM

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message

| "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
| | Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
| large
| | disk
| |
| | Were they common a year ago?
| |
| | Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
| |
| | Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
| | BIOS Date: 07/18/03
| | BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
| | BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C
| |

| What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post,
which
| indicated that he had no trouble finsing the information you're groping
for,
| and that your BIOS will support 48-bit LBA? Maybe you should crosspost to
| about 50 more groups.

"Finsing"? Should have been "finding."
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

since the early 80s

"Darrell" wrote:

> Hi Kenny,
>
> I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
> motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running SP2,
> your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no problem.
> I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive, the
> system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this helps.
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
> > Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a large
> > disk
> >
> > Were they common a year ago?
> >
> > Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
> >
> > Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> > BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> > BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> > BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

True but they were not generally available from the stores. Only really
been available as a consumer product sine late 90s.

"carlywarly" <c_me_7@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> since the early 80s
>

> "Darrell" wrote:
>
>> Hi Kenny,
>>
>> I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
>> motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running
>> SP2,
>> your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no
>> problem.
>> I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive,
>> the
>> system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this
>> helps.
>>
>> "Kenny S" wrote:
>>
>> > Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
>> > large
>> > disk
>> >
>> > Were they common a year ago?
>> >
>> > Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
>> >
>> > Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
>> > BIOS Date: 07/18/03
>> > BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
>> > BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:07:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

True and I bet you couldn't have afforded one either then or now.

"carlywarly" <c_me_7@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> since the early 80s
>

> "Darrell" wrote:
>
> > Hi Kenny,
> >
> > I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
> > motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running
SP2,
> > your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no
problem.
> > I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive,
the
> > system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this
helps.

> > "Kenny S" wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
large
> > > disk
> > >
> > > Were they common a year ago?
> > >
> > > Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
> > >
> > > Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> > > BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> > > BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> > > BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2004 11:22:56 PM

Kenny S wrote:
> Were they common a year ago?

I bought a 160 GB around one year and a half ago, at not too bad a price. I
don't remember the exact price of this and the alternative drives, but I
have a habit of preferring value-for-money over top-of-the-line, so my bet
is that even larger (and much more expensive) drives were available at that
time.

> Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)

It should. If it does not it should have a BIOS update that will.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 12:18:54 AM

Kenny S wrote:
> Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
> large disk
>
> Were they common a year ago?
>
> Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
>
> Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

A motherboard with the specs this one has will support hard drives over 137
gig.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

there is a bios issue here that is about 48 bit LBA

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

I dont know IF my bios is indeed 48 Bit LBA

"Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Kenny,
>
> I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
> motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running
> SP2,
> your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no
> problem.
> I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive, the
> system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this
> helps.
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
>> Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
>> large
>> disk
>>
>> Were they common a year ago?
>>
>> Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
>>
>> Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
>> BIOS Date: 07/18/03
>> BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
>> BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

December 10, 2004 12:22:47 AM

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:22:46 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>there is a bios issue here that is about 48 bit LBA
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>
>I dont know IF my bios is indeed 48 Bit LBA

How many times do you need to be told that your BIOS supports 48 Bit
LBA? You're either an idiot, or a troll.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 12:25:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

> What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post

The answer was incomplete

Read here to understand.. you must have a 48 bit LBA bios to "see" more than
137 gb
and I dont know if my bios has 48 bit LBA

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

thats all I am asking is my stupid bios 48 bit LBA?

Noone in the world seems to know!

> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> | Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
> large
> | disk
> |
> | Were they common a year ago?
> |
> | Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
> |
> | Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> | BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> | BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> | BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C
> |

> What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post,
> which
> indicated that he had no trouble finsing the information you're groping
> for,
> and that your BIOS will support 48-bit LBA? Maybe you should crosspost to
> about 50 more groups.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 12:25:22 AM

| > What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post
|
| The answer was incomplete
|
| Read here to understand.. you must have a 48 bit LBA bios to "see" more
than
| 137 gb
| and I dont know if my bios has 48 bit LBA
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
|
| thats all I am asking is my stupid bios 48 bit LBA?
|
| Noone in the world seems to know!

Here is Mr. Macklin's answer: "This is recent technology and revisions. It
does support LBA48. I did a search on Google for the BIOS and quickly
found lots of data"

The "it" he's referring to is YOUR BIOS. What part of this do you not
understand?

| "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
| >
| > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
| > | Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
| > large
| > | disk
| > |
| > | Were they common a year ago?
| > |
| > | Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
| > |
| > | Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
| > | BIOS Date: 07/18/03
| > | BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
| > | BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C
| > |

| > What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post,
| > which
| > indicated that he had no trouble finsing the information you're groping
| > for,
| > and that your BIOS will support 48-bit LBA? Maybe you should crosspost
| > about 50 more groups.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 12:25:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Not even the company that sold you the computer?

I'll bet the manufacturer of your BIOS knows.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post
>
> The answer was incomplete
>
> Read here to understand.. you must have a 48 bit LBA bios to "see" more
than
> 137 gb
> and I dont know if my bios has 48 bit LBA
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>
> thats all I am asking is my stupid bios 48 bit LBA?
>
> Noone in the world seems to know!
>

> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > | Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
> > large
> > | disk
> > |
> > | Were they common a year ago?
> > |
> > | Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
> > |
> > | Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> > | BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> > | BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> > | BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C
> > |

> > What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post,
> > which
> > indicated that he had no trouble finsing the information you're groping
> > for,
> > and that your BIOS will support 48-bit LBA? Maybe you should crosspost
> > about 50 more groups.

December 10, 2004 12:25:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:31:09 -0600, "Raymond J. Johnson Jr."
<RayJay@nospam.org> wrote:

>"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>| > What was wrong with the answer from Jim Macklin in your previous post
>|
>| The answer was incomplete
>|
>| Read here to understand.. you must have a 48 bit LBA bios to "see" more
>than
>| 137 gb
>| and I dont know if my bios has 48 bit LBA
>|
>| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>|
>| thats all I am asking is my stupid bios 48 bit LBA?
>|
>| Noone in the world seems to know!
>|

>Here is Mr. Macklin's answer: "This is recent technology and revisions. It
>does support LBA48. I did a search on Google for the BIOS and quickly
>found lots of data"
>
>The "it" he's referring to is YOUR BIOS. What part of this do you not
>understand?

Obviously, he either doesn't understand anything at all or he's a
troll. He's been going about this for the past two days and been
given some good answers including the one from Macklin.

Ignore him.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 1:38:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Kenny,
You might go to Maxtor Corp and download and run their "Big Drive
Enabler" to see if will recognize the 48 Bit LBA. The definitive answer
as to your BIOS would have to come from the Manufacturer of your
Computer and/or someone with the same make-model Computer and BIOS.
Gene K

Kenny S wrote:
> there is a bios issue here that is about 48 bit LBA
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>
> I dont know IF my bios is indeed 48 Bit LBA
>
> "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Kenny,
>>
>>I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
>>motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running
>>SP2,
>>your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no
>>problem.
>>I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive, the
>>system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this
>>helps.
>>
>>"Kenny S" wrote:
>>

>>>Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
>>>large
>>>disk
>>>
>>>Were they common a year ago?
>>>
>>>Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
>>>
>>>Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
>>>BIOS Date: 07/18/03
>>>BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
>>>BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

December 10, 2004 2:11:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You would do well to find a 137mb disk drive in the early 80's, you have no
idea what your talking about.

"Darrell" wrote:

> Hi Kenny,
>
> I'm not exactly sure how long they've existed, but I'm certain that your
> motherboard would support a HDD greater than 137 GB. If you're running
> SP2,
> your system should recognize disk drives in excess of 137GB with no
> problem.
> I say this because prior to SP2, If you installed a 200 GB hard drive, the
> system would only recognize 140GB give or take a few GB's. I hope this
> helps.
>
> "Kenny S" wrote:
>
> > Perhaps that will help me find out if my motherboard could use such a
> > large
> > disk
> >
> > Were they common a year ago?
> >
> > Would a one year bios support such a disk (larger than 137 gb)
> >
> > Motherboard matsonic 9127C ( no info on the matsonic site)
> > BIOS Date: 07/18/03
> > BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> > BIOS ID: 07/18/2003-P4X400-8235-6A6LXE19C

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 6:13:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Listen buster, do a search on google groups for me and you will find that I
have posted hundreds of replies to other peoples problems.

I think I am entitled to asking some questions myself

"CS" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:31:09 -0600, "Raymond J. Johnson Jr."
> <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote:
>

>>"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>|
>>| The answer was incomplete
>>|
>>| Read here to understand.. you must have a 48 bit LBA bios to "see" more
>>than
>>| 137 gb
>>| and I dont know if my bios has 48 bit LBA
>>|
>>| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>>|
>>| thats all I am asking is my stupid bios 48 bit LBA?
>>|
>>| Noone in the world seems to know!
>>|

>>Here is Mr. Macklin's answer: "This is recent technology and revisions.
>>It
>>does support LBA48. I did a search on Google for the BIOS and quickly
>>found lots of data"
>>
>>The "it" he's referring to is YOUR BIOS. What part of this do you not
>>understand?
>
> Obviously, he either doesn't understand anything at all or he's a
> troll. He's been going about this for the past two days and been
> given some good answers including the one from Macklin.
>
> Ignore him.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2004 10:28:13 AM

| On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:22:46 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
| wrote:
|
| >there is a bios issue here that is about 48 bit LBA
| >
| >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
| >
| >I dont know IF my bios is indeed 48 Bit LBA
| >

| How many times do you need to be told that your BIOS supports 48 Bit
| LBA? You're either an idiot, or a troll.

Or both.
!