The Gaming Case Showdown

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I like the Antec nine hundred just for all the cooling it offers. The Adamas is nice, but I heart its damn expensive while the Antec is only a bit above 100 right now.

Don't like the Fatal1ty, cooling doesn't meet up to my requirements and there is way too much branding. The silverstone is also nice, but out of my price range also.

What I like most about the Antec is its ability to change things around like the TT armor, where you can move drive cages wherever and stick 5.25" to your whim.

hwk2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I recently purchased and returned and Antec Nine Hundred.

The unit looks great, very cool (in all sense's of the word) and industrial, however i was disappointed by the overall quality. The side panels are very thin, so much so that when removing the windowed panel for the first time the the metal tab on the back of the case bent!

The optical drives have to be hard mounted to the case, with no dampening at all. I dont like thhe fact that there is no rail system. The hard drive are also mounted metal on metal to the cages...again just a cheap impression compared to my older Sonata.

The psu mounts on the bottom of the chassis, but there are few places to hide wires and such. I was saddened to see the apparent lack of QC from Antec, but upon reading other boards this seems to be an issue not only with this case but PSU's too.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
yeah, Antec's quality isin't as top top notch as it used to. I'll keep your advice in mind and double check some other review sites, but I'm still pretty much set on the case. Rails isin't a big thing for me because how often do you change optical and disk drives. Although not having any rubber grommets to reduce vibration and noise might be a negative... shrug

Guess we'll see.

Natecannon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I'm a big fan of the Silverstone TJ09, but that damned Fatal1ty case is nice looking... if it didn't have all the branding it would be better. I mean hell, I own a Fatal1ty mouse... just because I got used to it and oddly enough have the same "claw-grip" game style as the punk. But you don't need to splatter your name on all sides of the case.

hwk2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Any idea who OEM's that case for Zalman...that would be sweet without the branding

I like the Adamas too but it is very cramped inside

BnZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Is it just me, or the quality of the reviews are deteriorating?
This article just tells you about the features if each case, without testing the performance with a live rig, or even depicting the installation process.
You can almost write it by just visiting the manufacturer's website.

Don't get me wrong, I'm huge fan of the site and a loyal reader for many years, but I think this review is not the in same standard as most articles.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, I don't really consider that a review as much as just giving us some knowledge of the case and some personal opinions... I don't come to Tom's for reviews, I go to [H]ardOCP for reviews since they link all the major review sites and those reviews are usually all top-notch. Tom's always good on the big news and general picture of the programming world. Also I like Tom's community.

The Adamas is nice... but overpriced for a tank... If I ever need to go into combat and need to bring my computer, than the Adamas it is... otherwise why do I need such a monster?

Meh, Zalman is overpriced for what it does, Antec over Zalman anyday.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi

I just wanted to know. Some power supplies have a fan on top. While all cases don't have a hole on top matching the fan. Seems strange.
I want to buy a new case and PSU. So I am wonder what the fan on top of the PSU is for.
Thanks!!

Boogahdah

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I had recently bought a case from SunBeamtech called the Transformer (http://www.sunbeamtech.com/index-2.html). This case has two 80mm fans on the side, 1 80mm fan on the top, and a 120mm on the back. There is a spot for a 120mm on the front. I had read a few articles about adding a front fan, and how it can potentionally just re-circulate air. I was wondering if anyone has a case with side fans AND a front fan, and if so, hows the CPU temp. Right now I have a 2.2 amd that I overclock to 2.4 and it runs @ 106F.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Just turn the front fan backwards so it blows in while the rear fans blow out. Am I missing something?
I also want the front fan to help cool the HDDs.
By the way, the sunbeam cases do look REALLY COOL. I want to get a clear LED case, turn my room to a disco. (I'm 38, I can afford to do these things now).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would choose the Silverstone case, but it is just too expensive (and yes a little too big). So my choice would then be the Antec, however I would still choose the p180 over the 900.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The transformer is a damn heavy case, but it's decent.. I looked quite a bit into it a while ago. Yeah, front fan should be intake to cool your hdd bays which is pretty standard fare for most cases these days. But if your like me with so many hdd's your front fan is only cooling hdd's and doing squat for your cpu.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for getting back.
Ya, I need a side fan as well to get fresh air on the CPU. As well as a front fan to get air on the HHDs.
I don't care if the case is heavy, I don't move it much.
I still don't know what the top PSU fan is for. Cases don't have a top hole where the PSU is located.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
To tell you the truth, its mostly just for looks. I don't really like the look of the 900 that much and the p180 is beautiful. I wish it had the cooling of the 900.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks for getting back.
Ya, I need a side fan as well to get fresh air on the CPU. As well as a front fan to get air on the HHDs.
I don't care if the case is heavy, I don't move it much.
I still don't know what the top PSU fan is for. Cases don't have a top hole where the PSU is located.
Fan on top of PSU is for cases (like Antec 900) that mount PSU in the bottom of the case instead of the top. The Antect 900 also has that 200mm fan at the top to pull the hot air from the PSU out after PSU blows the air upwards. Look at pics from this article. Make sense?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
To tell you the truth, its mostly just for looks. I don't really like the look of the 900 that much and the p180 is beautiful. I wish it had the cooling of the 900.
Yeah, the cooling of the 900 is what attracts me to it. Only thing I don't like about it is that it comes with LED fans, which I find a bit annoying... am I the only one? I just don't see the point of them. If I wanted my case to look like some sort of "death ray", I'd mod it myself.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
honestly non of those

the zalman i'd consider if if wasn't for all the stupid logo's on the outside of the case.

the next case i get will be the coolermaster PAC-T01-EK Black ... yes i know it is a very old design now and yes i know it only has 80mm fans

I just don't care it is the best looking computer case ever made.

i just helped my friend build a pc w/ one of the coolermaster cases and it was just awesome.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, cases are all about design, but the real good cases are the ones with a nice design that all fits functionality. I think the 900 has a decent design and great functionality (especially with the removal of external 3.5" bays, those should have been gone a long time ago.