Sign in with
Your question

Too much Memory or No????

Last response: in Memory
October 27, 2006 11:09:12 AM

I currently have a 3800+ 2.4gb AMD Athlon 64 processor with 2gb of ram on a 939 asus. I just ran in to another 2gb of the exact same memory (PC3200/400mhz dual channel corsair) for a good deal from a friend that upgraded, so I will have 4gb of memory. Is this too much? Will I notice a difference? Will it make my gaming any faster?

Just curious cause I don't know too many who have this much RAM, I will eventually do one last upgrade to the 4800+ 2.4 X2 dual core also, until AMD comes out with a new considerably faster processor line.

Thanks to anyone who gives me their opinions and knowledge.

AMD 3800+ 2.4gb
500w PSU
Radeon X1900XTX
Arctic accelero X2 cooling
2gb dual channel corsair

More about : memory

October 27, 2006 11:34:16 AM

I don't think there is such a thing as having "too much" memory. But, at the same time, you won't notice a difference in your gaming since you already had enough for today's games to begin with. You might be able to run more applications at the same time without slowing down, but I don't think you'll see a difference otherwise.
October 27, 2006 11:39:18 AM

i had tried it with a dfi lan party a while ago and found it actually slowed things down. on further investigation it turned out the nf4 chipset did not like having all ram slots populated. a newer revision of the bios may have now fixed that but ask your friend if you can try before you buy.
Related resources
October 27, 2006 12:45:24 PM

Unless you do a lot of work in Photoshop with BIIIIG images, or video editing, other other such media work, It's unlikely that you'll notice any difference, besides switching apps quicker... But even then... is 1 less second switching apps worth the extra $$$?
October 27, 2006 3:00:58 PM

But if you plan on moving to Vista on that rig, you might as well have 4GB.
October 27, 2006 3:26:10 PM

I don't think it would hurt much.

But the more slots you fill the more "processing" it takes to run electricity through the various modules, the computer also has to manage the various chips and that might take a little extra time.

Plus, I *think* your ram is only as fast as your slowest chip....so with more chips you run a greater risk of one being a little more of a dud than the others.

Or I could be completely clueless. In either case, I'm very sure the difference would be unhumanly impossible to tell.
October 27, 2006 8:15:44 PM

It won't hurt anything in a major way. As mentioned, depending on your MB, you may go up to 2T from 1T on the command rate, but it won't be a big deal. Due to limitations of 32-bit Win XP, you will likely only see 3GB or less physical RAM in Win. You'll have to wait until Vista for all 4GB to be used by the OS.
!