Things to check before RMA'ing Mobo

Popjack

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
So this is my second build, set everything up and when I plug it in, fans spin for a moment, and then cut off. No POST, nothing. I think it may be time to RMA the motherboard -- an ASRock Dual VSTA, Socket 939. Here are my other specs:

AMD FX-55
EVGA 7600GS (AGP)
2 X 512 MB Corsair Valueselect (DDR400)
WD Caviar 80GB HDD
WD Caviar 160GB HDD
NEC DVD-RW
350W Fortron PSU

Here's what I've done so far:
Cleared the CMOS
Tried 1 stick of RAM that I know works in all slots
Checked jumpers
Checked all connections
Reseated CPU
Reseated HSF

Is there anything else to try before I RMA? Also, the board and the chip are both new. Could it be the chip, or is it, as I suspect, more likely the board?

Thanks in advance.

crashed97tsi

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I don't know about that powersupply man, 350W is not that much. I don't think it should just turn off, but you might want to go to circuit city or something and by a tester to make sure its in good working order. I just rma'ed my motherboard, but I had tons of random errors culminating in a USB overvolting error. Also, I currently have a 400W power supply in my secondary rig and the nvidia software tells me every reboot that the graphics settings have been turned down due to low power. My secondary rig is a Socket 754 AMD 3000+ 64 bit, 2 Sata 150 hard drives, an X-FI, a 6600Gt and a gig of ram. If I'm at the power threshold with my system, you should be over the threshold with yours. I'm not saying that that is your problem, but it might be worth checking out. Good Luck

Popjack

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I don't know man. Thanks for the opinion, but this is a Fortron PSU, not a no name. It's easily producing the output of a generic 400W or more. Also, according to the Extreme PSU calculator, I need a base wattage of 232 for my equipment, so I have a 66% overhead.

I've been running this rig for some time with an overclocked 130nm chip (3000+ Newcastle), and the new chip actually has a lower wattage.

I don't think the PSU is the problem.

crashed97tsi

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I was just throwing out options man, RMAing is a pain in the ass. If you're confident in the PSU though, then try and RMA it. The fact that you completely lose power though makes me think its not a motherboard error. I am no computer guru though. Good Luck

irqthecat

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Was having the same issue with a new Gigabyte DQ6. Turned out to be the video card, with I was having difficulties with and was suspect on another MB. Changed card, everything works. One thing I tried during troubleshooting was to not have the card installed, then the system would boot and beep, but at least didn't shut down.