Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

X800 256MB Crossfire Edition $99

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2006 1:36:43 PM

Hey all, ATI is clearing out X800 Crossfire Edition (Master Card) for $99. It will only work together with 256MB X800 series PCI-e cards, and by itself it's equal in spec to a X800XL. So even though SM2.0 Crossfire may not be in big demand, it's not a bad $99 PCI-e card on it's own, fitting in between the X800GTO and 7600GT. Anyway, I just figured someone here may want to toy with Crossfire on the cheap; here's the link.

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3130802
October 27, 2006 3:01:07 PM

I saw that too. :o  I have an x800xl 512MB card at the moment, so I was thinking about buying that card to setup a cheap Crossfire system...

You wouldn't happen to know if there are any issues running a Crossfire setup with one card having 256MB of ram and the other with 512MB of ram would you? ...I'm in the process of searching the forum...
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2006 3:15:53 PM

pairing a 256 + 512 will result in 256 on the 512 not being used, it will act like only 2 x 256mb since the information has to be copied to both buffers.

Remember that due to the TMDS bandwidth limitation your max resolution under Xfire for this specific line is 1600x1200 @ 60-65hz.

IMO, sell your old card and buy an X1950Pro with the proceeds +$100 of the CF X800.
Related resources
October 27, 2006 3:39:19 PM

I'm curious to know just how good a crossfire set-up using these x800 cards would be though. I would imagine that framerates would still be outstanding on game titles that were a year or two old.
October 27, 2006 3:44:34 PM

Thanks for the info.

I've actually been trying to sell my x800xl! But these days you can't get much for an old card, and people aren't too interested since there is better technology available...It'd kill me to sell the card for $100 when I paid $500. 8O

SO, since I'm stuck with it, I thought I'd buy this cheap Crossfire card and make due until I can afford a couple x1950xtx's or the new DX10 cards. I usually only play my games at 1280 X 1024, so the only thing I think I'm missing out on is HDR.
October 27, 2006 3:46:12 PM

Quote:
pairing a 256 + 512 will result in 256 on the 512 not being used, it will act like only 2 x 256mb since the information has to be copied to both buffers.

Remember that due to the TMDS bandwidth limitation your max resolution under Xfire for this specific line is 1600x1200 @ 60-65hz.

IMO, sell your old card and buy an X1950Pro with the proceeds +$100 of the CF X800.


What that guy said!

Seriously, sell that x800XL and ge an x1950Pro.
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2006 5:58:37 PM

Quote:
It'd kill me to sell the card for $100 when I paid $500. 8O


I know it hurts man, but if you can sell it for $100, and then take your other $100 and buy an X1950Pro, it should outperform the X800XLs in Xfire by a good margin in most application, and then you don't have the headache of Xfire driver issues, and titles that see no benifit from Xfire at all (which is still the majority of titles).

It's you call but IMO te X1950 would be the best choice for you.
October 27, 2006 7:19:01 PM

Well, I can't argue with that logic.. I just checked a CDN e-tailer and an ASUS X1950 Pro is listed for $219... the ATI brand is $349... not sure why aTI always charges more??

Quote:
X1950 would be the best choice for you.

The X1950XTX would be the best for me.. the X1950 Pro is what I can afford! lol.

Thanks for the kick in a$$ dude. I've seen the light..
October 27, 2006 7:44:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kick in a$$ dude. I've seen the light..


You just gotta love it when a fellow enthusiast sees "the light" don't ya?
October 27, 2006 9:39:19 PM

I'm still not a big fan of the X1950Pro. No voltage adjustments limit the cards potential big time.

If you're not going to overclock, then it's a good buy, but if you are...
October 27, 2006 10:21:56 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to know just how good a crossfire set-up using these x800 cards would be though. I would imagine that framerates would still be outstanding on game titles that were a year or two old.


You should get performance similar to a single 7800 GTX or 7900GT. I'd take a cheap X1950Pro over two X800s, though.
October 27, 2006 10:33:10 PM

can this card be crossfired with a x800gto2 ? or does it have to be a xl/xt. This would be sweet setup for my conroe system if i can figure it out.

edit: if they can would clock speeds have to be the same?
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2006 12:28:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I can't argue with that logic.. I just checked a CDN e-tailer and an ASUS X1950 Pro is listed for $219... the ATI brand is $349... not sure why aTI always charges more??


Yeah I don't know. The e-tailers usually jack up the price for BBA cards just because people who don't know anything about computers look for ATi brand or nVidia Brand, and if they see that they'll pay more. The rest of us know that the card features by many OEM partners are better. Where did you find that price BTW, be sure to check around, there's some great Canadian e-tailers out there. NCIX is a good place to start in general though.

Quote:
Thanks for the kick in a$$ dude. I've seen the light..


You're welcome always happy to do some A$$ kickin' :twisted:
But really I know how hard it is to look at your hardware and go "oh man, WTF I can't sel this for 1/2 of what I boght it for!?!" That's why I like to give away alot of my old hardware. Now that I've moved to laptops only I don't have that option so much, but they do retain their value better, and if I sell it to friends I don't feel so bad about getting 1/2 back a year later.

Enjoy the new card once you've got it.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2006 12:32:31 AM

Quote:
I'm still not a big fan of the X1950Pro. No voltage adjustments limit the cards potential big time.

If you're not going to overclock, then it's a good buy, but if you are...


Yeah I agree, it's a question of price, especially as he's up here north of the border he's a little limited, we don't get the cheapo NewEgg deals.

I think the X1950Pro will do him well, and if he can find a better card for the same price as that ASUS up here, then more power to him, but that's the price of like many X1600XT and GF7600GTs up here.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2006 12:46:38 AM

Quote:
can this card be crossfired with a x800gto2 ? or does it have to be a xl/xt. This would be sweet setup for my conroe system if i can figure it out.


No a GTO will work;



http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html

Quote:
edit: if they can would clock speeds have to be the same?


No Clockspeed don't have to be the same but if the GTO is a plain GTO (ie 12 pipes not a GTO16's 16 pipes) then the Xfire card ill disable 4 pipes IIRC, and according to the FAQ;


6. What happens when you pair a 12-pipe CrossFire Edition card with a 16-pipe card?(I think they got that backwards, I don't know of a 12pipe Crossfire Edition card, anyone else? I think they meant 12 pipe Crossfire 'ready' with a 16pipe Crossfire Edition card)


A. In this scenario both cards will operate as 12-pipe cards while in CrossFire mode.

7. What happens when your CrossFire Edition card and and a compatible standard Radeon (CrossFire Ready) graphics card have different clock speeds?

A. Both cards will continue to operate at their individual clock speeds.



Clock rates won't change but that effective 25% reduction in rendering power is gonna hurt you too, may I also suggest a different upgrade path for yourself as well. 8)


-Edited to put my little comment on their 12v16 in the right Q&A.
October 28, 2006 1:07:51 AM

Quote:
Where did you find that price


I do a lot of shopping at http://www.pccanada.com/ or anitec.ca. I just did a little research on the ASUS x1950 pro and it's a dual slot design because of their cooler... not good. I'll wait until Sapphire cards are available because they stick to the reference design.[/quote]
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2006 2:04:42 AM

Yeah those two sites are pretty good, anitec is pretty common around here and I've seen pccanada a few times before (like when I mis-type Canada Computers located in Toronto).

Yeah the dual slot cooler is a bit of a drawback but the price is nice, and so as long as it isn't stonkin' loud, I'd probably get it.

But if you can wait, sure why not, they'llonly come down in price, and your X800XL is likely (unfortunately) near the lowest it'll get for a few months.

And who knows what'll happen with the launch of the GF8800s, could be some sweet deals in a few short weeks.

Oh PS, about the Sapphire reference design quote, sometimes I like that they don't stick with the reference design and come out with interesting things like this one;

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=452
October 28, 2006 2:38:49 AM

Thanks alot i actually forgot that i unlocked the pipes, plus its volt modded , but the thought of 2 videocards was kind of nice.
October 28, 2006 2:55:19 AM

Sounds like a good deal, i currently have an old X800XL 256mb PCI-E laying around, i replaced it with my 7900GT, so if i buy this 100$ X800 crossfire would i see better Framerates from 2 cards then the singluar 7900GT( obviously they wont support HDR or 3.0 but hey for 100 thats cheap!)
so would 32 pipelines, 512mb of ram combined X800 cards beat the
24 pipeline, 256mb 7900GT?
October 28, 2006 12:43:45 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good deal, i currently have an old X800XL 256mb PCI-E laying around, i replaced it with my 7900GT, so if i buy this 100$ X800 crossfire would i see better Framerates from 2 cards then the singluar 7900GT( obviously they wont support HDR or 3.0 but hey for 100 thats cheap!)
so would 32 pipelines, 512mb of ram combined X800 cards beat the
24 pipeline, 256mb 7900GT?


Short answer, No.
!