Sign in with
Your question

DVD drive wont recognise dvds

Last response: in Windows 7
June 8, 2011 3:19:07 PM

I have an ASUS laptop fairly new and I tryed playing a dvd and it won't work, says it doesnt recognise the format (normal region 2 dvd) it plays cds just fine but not dvds, ive tried updating the drivers and checking its set to the right region but they say they are up to date, any ideas anyone?
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2011 5:27:31 PM

Exchange it for IBM? Is it too late?
IMHO, according to my own actual experience...
Asus hardware is pretty well known for bugs, especially the VIA audio drivers. Also pretty well know for failure to address customer complaints.
As fast as possible, I would take it back to the vendor, and exchange it for another brand.
Remember what I told you, it's defective.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2011 10:27:02 PM

Does it play any DVDs?

Is it a DVD drive or a CD drive?

You can download and run 'Belarc Advisor' which will tell you all the hardware and software that is on your computer.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 10:27:24 PM

Ubrales, any laptop from the last 7 years probably has a DVD Burner, if not a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive. CDs and DVDs use different optics, so it's very possible that the DVD optic is defective. Try uninstalling the dvd drive in device manager, rebooting, and looking for the dvd drive in 'computer'. If that fails, you need to have it replaced.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2011 10:31:58 PM

If the drive is defective, it may be more cost effective to use an external DVD drive. I am aware that this is a laptop and an ext. drive is additional stuff to haul around.
m
l
June 9, 2011 10:34:31 PM

I think slimline SATA drives cost around $40 or so on newegg, so that's not much and it's around the price of an external one, except you don't get the extra bulk.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2011 11:49:54 PM

livebriand said:
I think slimline SATA drives cost around $40 or so on newegg, so that's not much and it's around the price of an external one, except you don't get the extra bulk.

Agree! At that price, yes.
m
l
!