internet Speed, Broadcom 802.11g and Intel PRO/2200BG?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!

I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built in!
I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel pro
2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which is
a year old I get internet speed of 2200-2500 kbps when next to the router
and in
the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400 kbps
when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!

I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease the
same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has a
B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
and hope to hear from you!

Lisa.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

are you using XP also when configuring the your wifi connection on the
Acer are you using Windows Zero Wireless Configuration or Acer
spropeity wireless configuration software - I would swap and see if
this makes a difference

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:16:14 -0400, "M. Saddy"
<khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>
>I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built in!
>I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel pro
>2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
>DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which is
>a year old I get internet speed of 2200-2500 kbps when next to the router
>and in
>the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400 kbps
>when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!
>
>I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease the
>same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has a
>B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
>is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
>and hope to hear from you!
>
>Lisa.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Used both, same results! Thanks.

On 19-Sep-2005, "M. Saddy" <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>
> I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built
> in!
> I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel
> pro
> 2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
> DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which
> is
> a year old I get internet speed of 2200-2500 kbps when next to the router
> and in
> the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400
> kbps
> when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!
>
> I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease
> the
> same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has
> B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
> is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
> and hope to hear from you!
>
> Lisa.

Go to the Intel website, download then install the Intel PROSet/Wireless
Software v.9.0.2.1 for the BG2200 card. I had similar problems with my
latest notebook pc and the Intel PROSet/Wireless software v9.0.2.1 took care
of the problem. In my opinion, the Intel Software is a great deal better
than the Windows XP WZC Utility. Give it a try. You can always uninstall if
it does not solve your problem. Take care.

--
Just Me, D

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Doug, I think you missed read me! We have no problem with the Intel BG 2200
on the Toshiba, that is the one that is doing good! The problem is with the
Broadcom card on the Acer! I don't think I can use Intel drivers on a
Broadcom card plus my Acer has an AMD CPU, I don't think Intel would play
well with AMD :)-... Thanks anyway!

"Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message

> On 19-Sep-2005, "M. Saddy" <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>>
>> I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built
>> in!
>> I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel
>> pro
>> 2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
>> DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which
>> is
>> a year old I get internet speed of 2200-2500 kbps when next to the router
>> and in
>> the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400
>> kbps
>> when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!
>>
>> I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease
>> the
>> same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has
>> B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings?
>> It
>> is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your
>> time
>> and hope to hear from you!
>>
>> Lisa.
>
> Go to the Intel website, download then install the Intel PROSet/Wireless
> Software v.9.0.2.1 for the BG2200 card. I had similar problems with my
> latest notebook pc and the Intel PROSet/Wireless software v9.0.2.1 took
> care
> of the problem. In my opinion, the Intel Software is a great deal better
> than the Windows XP WZC Utility. Give it a try. You can always uninstall
> if
> it does not solve your problem. Take care.
>
> --
> Just Me, D

Archived from groups: (More info?)

does the Acer use the new Broadcom 54g or Xpress Technology to get a
far superior connection than the standard 802.11g - I would disable
the Xpress Technology on the Acer Broadcom wireless and see if this
improves performance as I suspect the DLink does not support this
method therefore you are getting a poor connection/speed.

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:03:47 -0400, "M. Saddy"
<khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

>Used both, same results! Thanks.
>

><ngcomp@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> are you using XP also when configuring the your wifi connection on the
>> Acer are you using Windows Zero Wireless Configuration or Acer
>> spropeity wireless configuration software - I would swap and see if
>> this makes a difference
>>

>> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:16:14 -0400, "M. Saddy"
>> <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built
>>>in!
>>>I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel
>>>pro
>>>2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
>>>DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which
>>>is
>>>a year old I get internet speed of 2200-2500 kbps when next to the router
>>>and in
>>>the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400
>>>kbps
>>>when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!
>>>
>>>I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease
>>>the
>>>same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has
>>>B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
>>>is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
>>>and hope to hear from you!
>>>
>>>Lisa.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi, Thanks again!

No Xpress! As far as I can tell, it is standard G! I heard somewhere long
time ago that some manufacturers limit the bandwidth speed of their cards
for some reasons! I am trying to think where I read or heard that but I am
drawing blanks!! When you need it....

<ngcomp@ntlworld.com> rote in message
> does the Acer use the new Broadcom 54g or Xpress Technology to get a
> far superior connection than the standard 802.11g - I would disable
> the Xpress Technology on the Acer Broadcom wireless and see if this
> improves performance as I suspect the DLink does not support this
> method therefore you are getting a poor connection/speed.
>

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:03:47 -0400, "M. Saddy"
> <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>
>>Used both, same results! Thanks.
>>

>><ngcomp@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> are you using XP also when configuring the your wifi connection on the
>>> Acer are you using Windows Zero Wireless Configuration or Acer
>>> spropeity wireless configuration software - I would swap and see if
>>> this makes a difference

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 19-Sep-2005, "M. Saddy" <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

> Doug, I think you missed read me! We have no problem with the Intel BG
> 2200
> on the Toshiba, that is the one that is doing good! The problem is with
> the
> Broadcom card on the Acer! I don't think I can use Intel drivers on a
> Broadcom card plus my Acer has an AMD CPU, I don't think Intel would play
> well with AMD :)-... Thanks anyway!

You're right. My apologies. You mentioned that your Acer had a dedicated G
card in it. Are you saying that it only performs in "G" mode? or is it set
to only perform in "G" mode? If you mean the latter, you might try changing
the mode in the DI-624 from the default (B and G) to just G or change the
card's setting to both B and G. I think the BG2200 is defaulted to B and G
mode.

--
Just Me, D

> On 19-Sep-2005, "M. Saddy" <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>
>> Doug, I think you missed read me! We have no problem with the Intel BG
>> 2200
>> on the Toshiba, that is the one that is doing good! The problem is with
>> the
>> Broadcom card on the Acer! I don't think I can use Intel drivers on a
>> Broadcom card plus my Acer has an AMD CPU, I don't think Intel would play
>> well with AMD :)-... Thanks anyway!
>
> You're right. My apologies. You mentioned that your Acer had a dedicated G
> card in it. Are you saying that it only performs in "G" mode? or is it set
> to only perform in "G" mode? If you mean the latter, you might try
> changing
> the mode in the DI-624 from the default (B and G) to just G or change the
> card's setting to both B and G. I think the BG2200 is defaulted to B and G
> mode.

You are correct, the BG2200 is defaulted to B and G mode! As for the Acer
card, it only performs in the G mode! I set the DI-624 to G mode only but
again, no improvement! Thanks again Doug.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

have you checked to see you have the transmit signal or 100% or full -
have you changed the channel number etc.

also check for any settings on the DLink AP

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:51:06 -0400, "M. Saddy"
<khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

>Hi, Thanks again!
>
>No Xpress! As far as I can tell, it is standard G! I heard somewhere long
>time ago that some manufacturers limit the bandwidth speed of their cards
>for some reasons! I am trying to think where I read or heard that but I am
>drawing blanks!! When you need it....
>

><ngcomp@ntlworld.com> rote in message
>> does the Acer use the new Broadcom 54g or Xpress Technology to get a
>> far superior connection than the standard 802.11g - I would disable
>> the Xpress Technology on the Acer Broadcom wireless and see if this
>> improves performance as I suspect the DLink does not support this
>> method therefore you are getting a poor connection/speed.
>>

>> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:03:47 -0400, "M. Saddy"
>> <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Used both, same results! Thanks.
>>>

>>><ngcomp@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Yes, The transmission is set to 100% on the card! I checked that last night
under the advanced settings for the card.

It is just annoying because I am paying, I think, too much money to get
3.5MbPs from my ISP to end up with 350-500 Kbps on my laptop! Thanks again
and I'll keep trying! I'll try to get something out of Acer tonight but as
we all know, Customer Support is not what it used to be!

> have you checked to see you have the transmit signal or 100% or full -
> have you changed the channel number etc.
>
> also check for any settings on the DLink AP
>

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:51:06 -0400, "M. Saddy"
> <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, Thanks again!
>>
>>No Xpress! As far as I can tell, it is standard G! I heard somewhere long
>>time ago that some manufacturers limit the bandwidth speed of their cards
>>for some reasons! I am trying to think where I read or heard that but I am
>>drawing blanks!! When you need it....
>>

>><ngcomp@ntlworld.com> rote in message
>>> does the Acer use the new Broadcom 54g or Xpress Technology to get a
>>> far superior connection than the standard 802.11g - I would disable
>>> the Xpress Technology on the Acer Broadcom wireless and see if this
>>> improves performance as I suspect the DLink does not support this
>>> method therefore you are getting a poor connection/speed.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On 19-Sep-2005, "M. Saddy" <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

> You are correct, the BG2200 is defaulted to B and G mode! As for the Acer
> card, it only performs in the G mode! I set the DI-624 to G mode only but
> again, no improvement! Thanks again Doug.

Please provide the exact make and model of your Acer PC and we'll go from
there. Also, are you currently using encryption? If so, does your speed
increase without encryption being enabled. Is the DI-624 near any items of
interference, i.e., microwave, cordless phone, etc. If your Acer card isn't
a super G card, disable super g in the DI-624 and set it to channel 11.
Enable SSID. Reboot the Acer and report back. Oh, and download the latest
drivers for the Acer card f you haven't done so already.

--
Just Me, D

> On 19-Sep-2005, "M. Saddy" <khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:
>
>> You are correct, the BG2200 is defaulted to B and G mode! As for the Acer
>> card, it only performs in the G mode! I set the DI-624 to G mode only but
>> again, no improvement! Thanks again Doug.
>
> Please provide the exact make and model of your Acer PC and we'll go from
> there. Also, are you currently using encryption? If so, does your speed
> increase without encryption being enabled. Is the DI-624 near any items of
> interference, i.e., microwave, cordless phone, etc. If your Acer card
> isn't
> a super G card, disable super g in the DI-624 and set it to channel 11.
> Enable SSID. Reboot the Acer and report back. Oh, and download the latest
> drivers for the Acer card f you haven't done so already.

Hi,

My laptop is the Acer Ferrari 4005
http://us.acer.com/acerpanam/page4.do?dau22.oid=10478&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=25&CountryISOCtxParam=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=923069118

Unfortunately for me, I tried everything you suggested above! Tried with
encryption and without, played with different channels, and disabled supper
G! NO interference that I know of! Please remember that I used and still use
the Toshiba in the same environment and getting 2000+ Kpbs!

Card has the latest drivers from Broadcom!

Thanks again!

> --
> Just Me, D

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:16:14 -0400, "M. Saddy"
<khgskd@kjhgaklghdNOGOOD.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Hope some of you folks can help me out and thanks in advance!
>
>I just got this Acer laptop with a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card built in!
>I also had a Toshiba ,which my husband is using now, which has an Intel pro
>2200BG built in! We are running a wireless home network using a D-link
>DI-624 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6. Now, with the Toshiba which is
>a year old I get internet speed of 2200-2500 kbps when next to the router
>and in
>the 1700kbps when in my office upstairs! The new Acer hardly gets 1400 kbps
>when next to the router and 400-600 kbps when upstairs!!
>
>I assumed before buying that the Acer should perform better, or at lease the
>same, knowing that it had a dedicated G card unlike the Toshiba which has a
>B/G card! Do I have a faulty card or is this just a matter of settings? It
>is new so I can always take it back or replace it! Thank you for your time
>and hope to hear from you!
>
>Lisa.

Google is your friend!
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=problem+dlink+broadcom&btnG=Google+Search

According to this article (link below), there is or was an
incompatibility between the Atheros chip for 108 super G, used in the
Dlink Dl-624 (and some Netgear), and the Broadcom products.

If you could find a different AP, you might be able to tell if it is
the Dlink.

HTH
Gollum