overclocking simplified? laymans terms?

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
ok ive read wusys overclocking guide for the conroe, and still it seems like hes talking about outerspace lol, perhaps i could just get a general guidline on how to overclock so in my mind i know what im doing.

heres my guess, which im sure is off, adjust your memory to a lowre speed ill be using ddr2 8000 aka 1000 speed,

so i think if i turn my memory down to 667, and then crank up my fsb, it auto cranks up my memory and ill eventually be at maybe 1066 speed with a nice fast fsb maybe 533, and a e6600 maybe running at 3ghz, sure turning up some voltages but is that how it works, or do you set your memory indepentanly and cranking up the fsb only speeds up the processor.

sorry for my shallow veiw on the proceedure just trying to figure out what to do, wusys guide is indeed detailed but if i went by that i still wouldnt have an idea on whats actually occuring

thanks for those of you who relpy this forum is nothing without you guys who help us newbs out, and thanks for wusys guide im sure its the best just a bit over my head.

oh and on side note can anyone tell me about the mysterious 1-1 ratio i hear alot what that means and how to achieve it, btw im not going to be looking for the cutting edge over clock, i could be happy with a 2.6-2.8 proc.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I think Wusy's guide is one of the simplest, most straightforward presentations I've ever read. I suppose if you posted exactly which motherboard, processor and memory you were using, someone could suggest some exact settings, but, failing that - Wusy's guide is as simple as it gets.

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
so if im using e6600, 680i nforce motherboard, and crucial 1000mhz ddrpc28000.

what im not geting is this, it looks like as you adjust your fsb up, you memory goes up as well, so if i start ouit adjusting my fsb while the memory is alreayd at 1000 speed, then wont it try to push my memory up to hi, so my question is how do you know how low to set your memory so that as you push up the fsb you end up with a good fsb/memory top

btw cooling is artic circle freezer pro 7 but theres a total of four incoming fans and four out going fans in the st101 stacker im using, 3 of each 120mm and one intake 80mm and one upper exhaust 80mm, thats the best i can do im not chancing water cooling

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Ok, I'm not familiar with your memory, so let's use mine as an example. Its ddr2-800.

If I run my FSB at 400MHz with a memory multiplier of 2, that's ddr2-800.

But I don't want to run my FSB at 400 because my processor multiplier is 9 and 9x400 is way faster than I want to push my E6600. I haven't tried it, but I might be able to change my processor multiplier to 8 if I wanted a a higher FSB, but I don't. I'm not even sure I can lower the processor multiplier.

So, I'm using 334 - which works out to 3GHz. That is about as hard as I'm willing to push my processor.

But, with a memory multiplier of 2, the memory would be running at 668. Kind of a waste, so my memory multiplier is 2.5, which lets me run my DDR2-800 at DDR2-835, which is about as hard as I can push my particular brand of memory, even after raising the memory voltage.

So - these settings give me a sane, stable overclock without having to run my fans like a leaf blower.

Your results will likely be completely different.

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
oh, so what your saying is you can set your fsb, and memory seperatly, i thought when you adjusted your fsb your memory auto goes up, so i can set my memory and fsb seperatly, so question assuming the 680i lets you run the fsb at 500, which i hear it can, and i have ddr2 memory so id be a a 1-1 ratio, but surely that would fry my e6600 or can i adjust that seperately?

if that would fry my proc perhaps i could just use 400, and use ddr800 speeds with tigher timings but will that be safe for the processer you said your self you dont want to go 9 x 400?

ahh i get it, lol i think, the key is the memory multiplyer, so, i could use 334 fsb which would give me about 3ghz, use my memory multiplyer of say 3 , which would have my memory running at 1002. which is what its rated for no problem. now i see the ratio, that infamous 1-1 ratio people say is reccomended.

So my question then is with the 680i board, would i be better off running 334x9 aka 3ghz and a 1-3 ratio so memorys running at 1003, or a lower ratio and tighter timings.

Btw i really thanks for explaining this to me i think! i hope im kinda geting the idea behind the numbers and why. also thanks to wussy for his great overcloaking post, its making more sense now that im being informed.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
As it turns out, I can lower my CPU Clock multiplier. So, after setting it to 8, I set the FSB to 400 and teh memory multiplier to 2.

After some tweaking of the FCB and Memory voltage, and setting the ram timings to 5-4-5-12, my PCMark05 score went up 100 points from the previous settings (334x9MHx, Memory Multiplier 2.5, 5-5-5-12). And my temperatures are still OK.