AMD Reports 2012 Loss of $1.18 Billion, While IBM Profits

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]computertech82[/nom]ouch. With such huge losses over and over, how are they staying in business?[/citation]

Cannibalization of its own assets, more lay-off, taking out more higher-interest loans, and praying for the best.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I think their profits should SKYROCKET, since the new Xbox and PS4 are coming out. Not to mention the Wii U has an AMD GPU and should help out them.

AMD should focus on a good value ratio.

tom in fairfax

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I don't think you meant to call them a former chip maker. Anyway, the results were better than investors were expecting and the stock price rallied today. AMD still makes a product with great value for the money and they have many new things in the pipeline.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Don't you die on me son, DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!
Seriously AMD, Don't you die on us. QUICK EVERYONE BUY THINGS FROM THEM!

AMD, Buddy ol' pal we need you. Please oh please let the rumors around the new consoles be correct.
AMD GPU's in the 360 and AMD CPU's in the PS4.

If we lose the only competitor to Intel I'll cry lol.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Come on AMD, you might have lost the desktop battle, but there's still war to be fought. Their APU models (processor+IGP) are far better than Intel efforts. AMD simply needs to know where to pick their battles.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]they both make cpu's.[/citation]
Not in the same markets they don't, so they are not competitors
It's like saying sales of bicycles are competitors to cars because they both go on the road
If anything they are collaboraters for consoles, as AMD do the graphics and IBM do the CPU

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Novuake[/nom]How is IBM a competitor to AMD?[/citation]
This is what is called "bad journalism", the writer of the article has taken 2 companies that live it the IT world, one of which made money, the other lost it, leading the reader to think there is some competative lean to the information. There isn't enough information to write 2 articles and is relatively dull by themselves, writing like this adds an element of sensationalism you typically see with gutter press and supermarket tabloids
Must do better

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I imagine AMD will do quite well when the next generation of consoles come out as it looks like they're going to supply the gpu and cpu for microsoft and sony

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]lespy[/nom]I'll keep buying AMD as long as their around, Dont die AMD we love you![/citation]

Buying new products without any legitimate reason. Seems retarded to me.

robles

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
[citation][nom]tom in fairfax[/nom]I don't think you meant to call them a former chip maker. [/citation]
Actually, since they sold off their fabs, they no longer make chips, they only design them. Global Foundries manufactures them.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]Buying new products without any legitimate reason. Seems retarded to me.[/citation]

Tell that to some customers of Toyota or Ford, or Apple. My god you do not want to piss them off.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
soon... AMD will be up for grabs, just like what happened in THQ.

IMO, it ise better for AMD to being sell of to financial strong guy than getting more lay off shrinking to Cyrix size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS