(2) more likely to buy a hummer
(3) ask how much horse power a car has
(4) have fans like action man

AMD people:
(1) are dog people
(2) more likely to buy a hybrid
(3) ask how much torque a car has
(4) don't have fans like action man

After thinking about it awhile - I think they are right....

More about : recent intel amd study

October 27, 2006 5:43:59 PM

Quote:
A recent university double blind intel/AMD study shows(i lost the link):

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

Pretty good...but a better representation of AMD #4 might be "Have fans like MMM, Shooukibooboo and Baronmatrix".

Just a thought. :lol: 
October 27, 2006 5:47:03 PM

Uh oh.. i see torches and campfires at the horizon...
October 27, 2006 5:59:31 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

yep thats me an intel fan but i also care about torque.
October 27, 2006 6:01:39 PM

I'm a cat person, but I don't like Hummers. The more efficent car, the better. However, thats totally reversed computer wise...

Maybe I just have a twisted way of thinking.
October 27, 2006 6:12:51 PM

1. I'm a cat person
2. i am an AMD person (i hate intel)

SO guess i am from a little from column A a little from Column B
October 27, 2006 6:13:52 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

Pretty good...but a better representation of AMD #4 might be "Have fans like MMM, Shooukibooboo and Baronmatrix".

The problem with that is that I'm my biggest fan and no one else's.
October 27, 2006 6:15:58 PM

Im an AMD proponent but action man loves me
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2006 6:25:23 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

Ummm neither is correct. Why do I say this?

Because to claim that AMD people care more about performance (hence asking what the Torque in the car is at) is ludicrous. It's the same for Intel fans.

Intel/AMD fans are more likely to ignore the performance, ignore the facts and buy their preferred companies product out of sheer blind loyalty.

Those who care about Horse Power and Torque are currently buying C2D's, and if K8L is faster they'll be buying those at that time. Those people are like me.
October 27, 2006 6:43:49 PM

Quote:

Because to claim that AMD people care more about performance (hence asking what the Torque in the car is at) is ludicrous. It's the same for Intel fans.

I thought they were intimating that AMD people know torque is what really matters when it comes to speed - not horsepower? I do think intel people seem to care more about how many Ghz a processor is(horsepower), instead of how fast it really is(torque).... I see people on this forum criticizing AMD becasue they never got close to 4Ghz like intel has.... Ofcourse they all jumped ship on that idea, when conroe emerged which was more technology driven, then Ghz driven(like AMD)....

That is just my guess on what the study means....
October 27, 2006 6:45:38 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

They should of made it triple blind:
I am more of a IBM PPC fan
(1) ferret and skunk person
(2) likely to buy what ever looks good regardless of performance
(3) ask if it comes with 20's
(4) I am my own fan

But i got to say i am more likely to buy intel cause 1. i dont know better 2. I am a firm supporter of "the man" 3. Am against the anit-monopoly laws
October 27, 2006 6:46:45 PM

Quote:
shame on you :evil:  starting a flame war like this,hope you enjoy all the bs that this post will attract :twisted:

It seems to be a friendly enjoyable discussion so far.... Maybe you should complain to the university? :) 
October 27, 2006 6:52:25 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

The problem with that is that I'm my biggest fan and no one else's.

That was actually quite funny. Thanks for the levity.
October 27, 2006 6:52:47 PM

You are wrong there. Both Torque and HP matter when it comes to speed.. not just torque:

http://largiader.com/articles/torque.html

By your thinking, than that 18-wheeler parked outside my office can beat the pants off of any car out there.

http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/trucks/featured-compo...

So since torque = speed, these 18-wheeler engines has around 1500ft-lb of torque. GG Porche, Ferrari, and Bugatti. Can't even come close to an 18-wheeler...

Bugatti Veyron maxes out at 1k ft-lb:
http://www.bugattipage.com/ride.htm

Just trying to clear up some misconceptions here.
October 27, 2006 6:55:23 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

Intel/AMD fans are more likely to ignore the performance, ignore the facts and buy their preferred companies product out of sheer blind loyalty.

Those who care about Horse Power and Torque are currently buying C2D's, and if K8L is faster they'll be buying those at that time. Those people are like me.
I dont think with "Intel people" or "AMD people", he meant fans or fanboys.
Otherwise, what would mean the 4th point, "they have/dont have fans like Actionman"?
So he's probably talkin about the guys which work at AMD and Intel.
Concerning the Hummer, i'd more of say:
Fat ass american people -> more likely to buy a Hummer.
:lol:  :lol: 
October 27, 2006 6:58:18 PM

Yeah, diesel engines always have way more torque than comparable gasoline engines.
But i dont think here we should relate torque with speed, which is of course wrong, but with power efficiency.
High torque, especially on a wide range of RPM, with a flat torque curve, is highly desirable if you wanna have low fuel consumption.
October 27, 2006 7:01:29 PM

What about those console platform people? :lol:  :lol: 

Sorry for starting this war!!
October 27, 2006 7:03:40 PM

Quote:

here you go again trying to tell people what they should buy. I tell you what if you can get an X2 or Core 2 to run at 100% CPU for an extended period then speed will matter but if most people spend most of their time at 30% CPU usage, then there is no difference between X2 and Core 2 since the eye can't tell the difference between 70fps and 80fps and I doubt if anyone buys a PC to run SuperPi or encode DVDs to the HDD (I mean, if you have a 45" TV and a 19" monitor....).

Anyway, why i buy AMD is my business just as why you buy Intel. That is the beauty of democracy. You are free to choose. I would even recommend NetBust if it wasn't so hot. It will run Windows.

Also what you buy is one thing but I have recommended Core 2 to people who were interested in it.

There was recent thread where Intel buyers told a person interested in AMD he was a fool. Right, I guess HP, Sun, Dell, Rackable Sysytems, etc have a majority of fools for customers.

I mean MS is STILL USING HP 585 to build Windows and it's still many times faster than Xeon systems.

Let peole buy what they want if it suits their needs. Not everyone cares how fast SuperPi runs or whether they break 150fps. They do care about platform price and overall value which is where AMD is still leading. Even Dell has less expensive AMD systems than Intel ones.
October 27, 2006 7:07:41 PM

If you have 2 identical cars but:

car A has 200HP with 200Torque
car B has 150HP with 225Torque

Isn't car B faster, but car A is better for towing?
October 27, 2006 7:13:37 PM

Baron - I guess you are a dog person, and more likely to buy a hybrid than a hummer - like me....
October 27, 2006 7:15:30 PM

No, it's the opposite.
Or rather: the car with the maximum highest power (car A) will be the fastest; the car with the highest torque would have it easier to tow at low RPM, but with the right gear, the car with the highest power would be again better for towing.
October 27, 2006 7:20:16 PM

Quote:
What about those console platform people? :lol:  :lol: 

Sorry for starting this war!!

They are like extras in a movie.... They are there, but don't really matter....
October 27, 2006 7:20:29 PM

Hmm...let's see:
1 I have 2 AMD computers and an Intel
2 I belong to the Eagle clan (I'm native)
3 I don't need a hummer...my 1980 olds is waaay more reliable, indestructable and easier to maintain...lol (too many hummers crap out in water) Not sure where my International Harvester Scout fits in.
4 I used to have fans, but found them to be rather obsessive so I told 'em to get a brain - well I used more colorful language...but you get the idea.

Perhaps aliens replaced me with an exact replica? Either that or I'm just having too much fun being "difficult to categorize". Glad I'm a minority in yet another study!
* Proudly messing up statistics since 1964!*
October 27, 2006 7:27:59 PM

What. The. Hell.
October 27, 2006 7:40:10 PM

Eh, thats what I thought when I first saw the post, but I decided to go along with the flow. If you let little things like this shock you, you won't have long to live in the world...
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2006 7:40:38 PM

Quote:

here you go again trying to tell people what they should buy. I tell you what if you can get an X2 or Core 2 to run at 100% CPU for an extended period then speed will matter but if most people spend most of their time at 30% CPU usage, then there is no difference between X2 and Core 2 since the eye can't tell the difference between 70fps and 80fps and I doubt if anyone buys a PC to run SuperPi or encode DVDs to the HDD (I mean, if you have a 45" TV and a 19" monitor....).

Anyway, why i buy AMD is my business just as why you buy Intel. That is the beauty of democracy. You are free to choose. I would even recommend NetBust if it wasn't so hot. It will run Windows.

Also what you buy is one thing but I have recommended Core 2 to people who were interested in it.

There was recent thread where Intel buyers told a person interested in AMD he was a fool. Right, I guess HP, Sun, Dell, Rackable Sysytems, etc have a majority of fools for customers.

I mean MS is STILL USING HP 585 to build Windows and it's still many times faster than Xeon systems.

Let peole buy what they want if it suits their needs. Not everyone cares how fast SuperPi runs or whether they break 150fps. They do care about platform price and overall value which is where AMD is still leading. Even Dell has less expensive AMD systems than Intel ones.

What the $%^$^ are you smoking?

I care about what gives me more for my hard earned money. Whether it's low end, midrange or highend. I give fellow THGer's my opinion as to what constitutes the most performance for the dollar.

Sure people could all be running Semprons and Celerons, but are you really one to talk Mr I INVENTED AMD 4X4???

If you were so concerned about what you call too much performance for the dollar then why would you advocate the need for an AMD 4x4 platform.

During the Netburst era I would have agreed with this post. But that era has ended and Intel are offering the most performance per MHz/Watt/Dollar and Overall. This leaves little room for recommending AMD systems on THG.

Most THGers asking for advice always tell us what they'll be using the PC for. If they don't we ask them. Most will say (gaming, encoding, trans-coding, Multimedia HTPC etc). Under most of these conditions, looking at the current crop of games, games on the horizon and the need for more computer security (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam, Anti-Ad-ware) to be running in the background it leaves little room for single core recommendations save for the absolute budget systems. Those, I would currently hand over to AMD (Single Core Athlon64 lineup). Anything Dual Core or soon to be more, it's all C2D/Quad.

Hell, early next year Intel will also have the Single Core crown. In other words there is NO reason why someone should purchase an AMD system save for budget rigs. Those rigs are rare on THG, please understand the audience to whom you're speaking too. Most THGers are knowledgeable individuals. Some have learnt through mistake (some here have owned... *shudders at the thought* a CELERON).

You're in no position to attack me Mr fanboi. Honestly.
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2006 7:44:11 PM

Quote:
Baron - I guess you are a dog person, and more likely to buy a hybrid than a hummer - like me....

Doesn't make sense...lol.

C2D offers the most performance per watt (by a LONG SHOT). So in that case under your own definition you'd be an Intel Person.
October 27, 2006 7:46:59 PM

Quote:

Yes,... those looking for horsepower/GHz are just Intel (P4) VICTIMS :lol: 
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2006 7:48:46 PM

Quote:

Yes,... those are just Intel (P4) VICTIMS :lol: 

Yeah.. or AMD K6, K6/2 VICTIMS :wink:
October 27, 2006 7:50:53 PM

Actually, now that I look at it, how is buying an Intel like buying a hummer...

People who buy hummer's are usually the same people who need to compensate for the lack of something down there or women.

Obivously people with the lack of something down there also have a high and might attitude saying "look at me, I'm driving a hummer" or in some cases "I have an AMD thats far superior than everything else out there"

Therefore by Modus Tollens, people who buy hummer's are AMD fanboys.
October 27, 2006 7:51:20 PM

Quote:

:D  I had forgotten, their souls rest in peace from much longer
October 27, 2006 7:55:08 PM

Most of the CPU Forumz is pointless fun for that matter, or flame bait.
October 27, 2006 7:56:35 PM

Quote:

:D  I had forgotten, their souls rest in peace from much longer
However, at the time, AMD had price on their own but a P4 nowdays is simply disgusting. You can't find ONE REASON ON THIS WORLD to buy one.
October 27, 2006 7:56:56 PM

Quote:
So in that case under your own definition you'd be an Intel Person.

Are you sure? Because I am a careing person(which is ascribed to dog people).... And being a careing person(and careing about the enviro.) - I would buy a hybrid before a hummer.... And intel fan people don't seem to be good careing people, which is why they prefer cats, and hummers.... They yell at me like action man....
October 27, 2006 8:08:27 PM

So what if the person looks at both torque, horsepower and cornering ability, hates hummers and hybrids and would rather have a Skyline or an AE86, likes dogs and cats but prefers the company of ferrets, and is neither a heartless bastard or a caring person?
Where do I fall?
October 27, 2006 8:08:59 PM

Well I like both Intel and AMD
I like dogs
I would prefer a VW PASSAT.
how much HP sounds more like me
and I am a superman/smallville fan :) 
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2006 8:18:13 PM

I'm tired of your lies... so... this is the thread where I completely destroy you. You have been annoying me for far too long.

Dell.ca Home/Home Office Similar performance rated systems:

AMD System: $1,574CDN

Components
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+
Genuine Windows® XP Professional
No Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Selected
FREE Upgrade to 1GB 533MHz Memory- $50 Value
320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
20 inch Ultrasharp™ 2007WFP Digital Flat Panel
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Intel System: $1,559CDN

Components
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)
FREE Upgrade to 1GB 533MHz Memory- $100 Value
20 inch E207WFP Digital Flat Panel
16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Consider yourself terminated. This is a home computer at a mainstream avg price (In Canadian dollars no less). Fact is, it costs $18 more for an equivalent AMD system (nevermind the power requirments of the X2 over the C2D) when compared to an equivalent Intel C2D system.

Of course if a user is buying some Single Core machine (which is becoming increasingly rare these days) then AMD have the upper hand. But don't forget Intel's 805D is the cheapest Dual Core processor available. Care for me to quote you one of those rigs by Dell?

And please don't start talking about Sciencemark on a Dell Home Computer or the 4x4 rig. Stick with a single argument will ya.

I'm tired of your baseless non-sense. You'll say anything, change your whole argument and flip flop like John Kerry just to claim righteousness. In the end, you end up looking pretty stupid.
October 27, 2006 8:22:18 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

Are you talking about an H2/H3, or a REAL Hummer?
October 27, 2006 8:22:21 PM

Why does the AMD system have this:
Quote:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4600+
FREE Upgrade to 1GB 533MHz Memory- $50 Value
20 inch Ultrasharp™ 2007WFP Digital Flat Panel
16x DVD+/-RW Drive

but the Intel system have this:
Quote:
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)
FREE Upgrade to 1GB 533MHz Memory- $100 Value
20 inch E207WFP Digital Flat Panel
16x DVD+/-RW Drive

Something seems amiss with Dells pricing. Or I could just be crazy.
October 27, 2006 8:25:52 PM

Quote:
So what if the person looks at both torque, horsepower and cornering ability, hates hummers and hybrids and would rather have a Skyline or an AE86, likes dogs and cats but prefers the company of ferrets, and is neither a heartless bastard or a caring person?
Where do I fall?
I guess that makes you a VIA fanboy. :p 
October 27, 2006 8:26:53 PM

Passat = VW =Audi = HP and Torque = cool = fast = drool worthy =

My six degrees of separation.
October 27, 2006 8:30:29 PM

Quote:
Where do I fall?
I guess that makes you a VIA fanboy. :p 
..... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........
October 27, 2006 8:34:42 PM

Quote:
Where do I fall?

I believe you are probably going to be a big 'cell cpu' fan once it hits the desktop/notebook market....
October 27, 2006 8:35:54 PM

You guy need to understand that HP is more less a measurement of torque of time (RPM). There is no way to calculate HP with out measuring torque and rpm.

Having said that my little 1.3L produced around 350 @6800 rpm RWHP which about 400HP in magazine terms, torque is around 320lbs at 4800rpm. While the torque is at very high rpm I've yet to run into 400 hp V8 that is as quick. They need 450hp or more.

Besides isn't Intel the one with all the torque now? I go for Intel because it's the better performer.
October 27, 2006 8:38:07 PM

Quote:

intel people:
(1) are cat people

AMD people:
(1) are dog people

Are you talking about an H2/H3, or a REAL Hummer?

I would guess they are talking about the original 'hummer' since there is no number behind it....
October 27, 2006 8:38:48 PM

Psh, Skyline and AE86... lets not get all Initial D here...

The Skyline is a great car, at its time. I would think the only thing that came close would be the Supra, but the Skyline's AWD gave it the extra edge.

However now, I would have to say honors go to the Lan Evo and the WRX STI... rally cars FTW!

Power wise, Bugatti Veyron for me.
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2006 8:41:59 PM

Quote:
So in that case under your own definition you'd be an Intel Person.

Are you sure? Because I am a careing person(which is ascribed to dog people).... And being a careing person(and careing about the enviro.) - I would buy a hybrid before a hummer.... And intel fan people don't seem to be good careing people, which is why they prefer cats, and hummers.... They yell at me like action man....

A Caring person is a Pragmatic Liberal/Progressive Conservative (Center-Right/Center/Center-Left). It has nothing to do with a dog.

I own a dog and cat so I guess you'd claim me to be balanced? I'm also an Aboriginal French-Canadian. I'm progressive (moderate) having views on both the right and left of the spectrum.

I disagree with Bleeding Heart Liberal Tree Huggers just as much as I do Neo-Conservative Authoritarian Neanderthals. Both are extreme views and not practical in the real world. Both often lead to either violence or the negligence and ignorance of on-coming violence.

But then again... Dog people usually mistreat their pets the most, adding electrical collars on their dogs or dragging them with a car.

Hmmmmm
October 27, 2006 8:45:29 PM

Alright, now I'm totally confused. Are we talking about Cars/HP/Torque, or dogs/cats, politcal views/enviormental views, people in general, or goddamn CPU's which is what this forum is for...

I notice no one talks about point number 4 which is having fans... guess no one has any. Go figure.
October 27, 2006 8:50:27 PM

Quote:
Well I like both Intel and AMD
I like dogs
I would prefer a VW PASSAT.
how much HP sounds more like me
and I am a superman/smallville fan :) 

passat???? you cant tow 16k with a passat. :p  i am a smallville fan but thats because of the brunette ,,,bam gina! clark kent lost out when he flaked on her.stoopid superboy :p 
haha I know... when I first saw the show.. " was like "I WANNA BANG LANNA LANG". Haha but anyways I like the VW passat. more then a Hybrid and a hummer is cool but its
6miles to Gallon and I am not made of money
October 27, 2006 8:53:17 PM

Just thought I should add something to my previous post - Hummers are great if they are followed by a swallow and a smile. Hope this doesn't get me banned.

P.S....horsepower and torque = 455 oldsmobile rocket.
!