Prime 95 not using very much cpu at all

DLiu

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have a conroe 6600. I have tried many different ways and i cannot get prime 95 to use even close to 100 percent. If i dont set a cpu affinity and let prime 95 choose it usuall runs one cpu at 100 and the other one at zero or at most 25 percent of one cpu and 75 percent of another using only a total of 50 percent of total cpu power. If i set cpu affinity to 0 and run it, it will use 100 percent of cpu 0 and none of cpu 1. if i set cpu affinity to 1 it will do the opposite which is expected. If i run dual instances of the torture test simultaneously(click ok on both as close together as posible) it uses about 10 percent of each cpu and the tests take 10 times longer to complete. If i run one instance first and get the cpu at 100 percent and then start the second instance they very like anywhere frmo 100/0 to 30/70 but only at a total of 50 percent of the total cpu power. Is prime supposed to be able to test both cpus at 100, or only percentages that add up to 100?

Did you read the full installation notes?

From readme.txt: "To fully utilize a dual processor machine, you must run two copies of prime95.exe. Run one copy of prime95 as described above. Run the second copy of prime95.exe with the -A1 command line argument. Make sure the second copy also has the "Start at Bootup" option set.

Dual processor machines can also improve performance by setting
processor affinity. Use the Advanced/Affinity dialog box to do this.
"

DLiu

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Did you read the full installation notes?

From readme.txt: "To fully utilize a dual processor machine, you must run two copies of prime95.exe. Run one copy of prime95 as described above. Run the second copy of prime95.exe with the -A1 command line argument. Make sure the second copy also has the "Start at Bootup" option set.

Dual processor machines can also improve performance by setting
processor affinity. Use the Advanced/Affinity dialog box to do this.
"
i did read the readme and i did address that in my post if you read the whole thing. i tried running one copy and 2 copies ive tried every single possile combination

DLiu

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The only program i have that is able to max out both cores is StressTest by PassMark. its the stress test that came with my intel motherboard 975xbx

sbinh

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If you don't set affinity, each will run at time (using both core) ... and another will wait for available resource .. which cause the issue. Need to run only ONE prime.

If you set affinity, then need to run DUAL primes (one set to 0, anther set to 1). Beside that, need to customize torture tests ....

Here is the link that show how to run dual primes:
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20493

Aivas47a

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
The Orthos program is a really convenient way to run the Prime 95 torture test on both cores of a Core 2. It keeps my E6400 at or close to 100% utilization throughout the test and also has a handy time counter and big green or red banner so you can tell at a glance from across the room whether the test is still running or has crashed.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
how much system ram do you have?
I got 1gb only, I also having problem running dual prime95 100% with both cores. When I look at "window task manager", I saw the pf usage is like super high. My best guess would be that when you do 2 blend test(lots test with system ram), window keeps doing memory swapping making your system hogs in order to fed both prime95 with enough rams.
My way is, running 1 instances of prime95 with blend test(lots ram test), the other instance using another torture test, e.g. max heat test.
I hope this helps, correct me if I'm wrong please.

i did read the readme and i did address that in my post if you read the whole thing. i tried running one copy and 2 copies ive tried every single possile combination

Oh, I DID read the whole thing, but I guess I missed where you said you used the -A1 switch on the second instance just like the readme says to........