USB Port Driver problem!!

Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a USB
scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP SP1.
I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson that I
need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the moment, I
have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the device
manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the motherboard but
I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no luck. I
can't shift the "standard" drivers.

Can anyone tell me
a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
b) How I correctly install these.

A BIG thanks in advance!

"Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a
> USB
> scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP
> SP1.
> I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson
> that I
> need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the
> moment, I
> have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the
> device
> manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the
> motherboard but
> I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no
> luck. I
> can't shift the "standard" drivers.
>
> Can anyone tell me
> a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
> b) How I correctly install these.
>
> A BIG thanks in advance!

http://www.usbman.com may very well have what you are seeking. When
you see NEC Enhanced it usually means you are using the correct USB
2.0 drivers. When you download the drivers place them is a folder you
make on the desktop (Call them USB 2.0) then download to that
location. Then go into device manager under USB and select after
double clicking to open the file screen, update drivers. Then follow
the prompts to then select the place where the newer USB drivers
reside. However many of the motherboards made in the last two years
have this USB 2.0 versus the 1.1 version. If you already have them it
may be a simple thing as making sure that the USB 2.0 device is
actually attached to a USB 2.0 port. A bios update from the
motherboard maker many times can fix this problem. But again an easier
way is to go out and buy a Belkin USB 2.0 add in card and install it
to your computer in any available PCI (white) slot. After you load the
drivers (Not needed in Windows XP) it will install USB 2.0 for your
use. Read the package since only ports 1&2 and 5 on the card are high
speed 2.0 then others are not.

You then attach that scanner to the USB 2.0 card and away you should
run. You may need something as simple as updated drivers for the
scanner, in this case search out that situation first.

I hope I helped?

Elector

"Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a USB
> scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP SP1.
> I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson that I
> need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the moment,
> have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the device
> manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the motherboard
> but
> I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no luck. I
> can't shift the "standard" drivers.
>
> Can anyone tell me
> a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
> b) How I correctly install these.
>
> A BIG thanks in advance!

Microsoft Update.

Unplug everything from USB ports then:
Go into Device Manager and remove the USB Controller, do not let XP restore
the drivers, then go to Microsoft Update.
There is currently Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

It is a huge download, I think around 19 Megabytes.
There is an offer for a free SP 2 Update CD from Microsoft, if you will wait
to receive in the mail. Takes 4 to 6 weeks to get in the mail.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx

Direct link to ordering CD.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Added info:
"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> "Monica Pasqualotto" <italic74stamps@tele2.it> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone, I do bulk scanning of about 100 images a day using a USB
>> scanner. My PC has an Asus A7N8X motherboard and I am running XP SP1.
>> I sometimes get errors when scanning and I have been told by Epson that I
>> need to install the correct USB drivers for the USB ports. At the moment,
>> have the USB port descriptions showing Standard Enhanced on the device
>> manager. I'm not sure what brand of ports are mounted on the motherboard
>> but
>> I've been trying for days now to install the right drivers but no luck. I
>> can't shift the "standard" drivers.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me
>> a) where I can find the right drivers for my motherboard USB ports
>> b) How I correctly install these.
>>
>> A BIG thanks in advance!
>>

> Microsoft Update.
>
> Unplug everything from USB ports then:
> Go into Device Manager and remove the USB Controller, do not let XP
> restore the drivers, then go to Microsoft Update.
> There is currently Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.
>
> It is a huge download, I think around 19 Megabytes.
> There is an offer for a free SP 2 Update CD from Microsoft, if you will
> wait to receive in the mail. Takes 4 to 6 weeks to get in the mail.
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.aspx
>
> Direct link to ordering CD.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

The USB drivers are included in Service Pack 2. They are also available for
SP1, if you do not want to update to SP2.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com