Upgrade WinXP Home Sp2 to WinXp Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Can someone direct me to the KB or other help on
upgrading XP Home to XP Pro when Home has XP2
installed.

I don't have a FULL Pro XP 2, just the Full SP1 and
the upgrade SP2 so when I try to "upgrade" with SP1
it complains of a lesser version (since Home is already
at SP2.)

I suppose my options include:

1) Uninstalling SP2 before the upgrade

2) Slipstreaming an installation point of XP Pro to SP2

Are there simple options for doing this?

--
Herb Martin
4 answers Last reply

    Herb;
    Those are the correct and simple options.
    Unless you want to perform a Clean Installation of Windows XP Pro then
    install SP-2.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > Can someone direct me to the KB or other help on
    > upgrading XP Home to XP Pro when Home has XP2
    > installed.
    >
    > I don't have a FULL Pro XP 2, just the Full SP1 and
    > the upgrade SP2 so when I try to "upgrade" with SP1
    > it complains of a lesser version (since Home is already
    > at SP2.)
    >
    > I suppose my options include:
    >
    > 1) Uninstalling SP2 before the upgrade
    >
    > 2) Slipstreaming an installation point of XP Pro to SP2
    >
    > Are there simple options for doing this?
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Herb Martin wrote:

    > Can someone direct me to the KB or other help on
    > upgrading XP Home to XP Pro when Home has XP2
    > installed.
    >
    > I don't have a FULL Pro XP 2, just the Full SP1 and
    > the upgrade SP2 so when I try to "upgrade" with SP1
    > it complains of a lesser version (since Home is already
    > at SP2.)
    >
    > I suppose my options include:
    >
    > 1) Uninstalling SP2 before the upgrade
    >
    > 2) Slipstreaming an installation point of XP Pro to SP2
    >
    > Are there simple options for doing this?

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > > I suppose my options include:
    > > 1) Uninstalling SP2 before the upgrade
    > > 2) Slipstreaming an installation point of XP Pro to SP2

    > Herb;
    > Those are the correct and simple options.
    > Unless you want to perform a Clean Installation of Windows XP Pro then
    > install SP-2.

    Thanks to all respondents.

    I found the required upgrade disk (I believe) so that skips
    some steps.

    So I now have a (real) WinXP w/ SP2 CDROM and will
    try that later today.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > > Can someone direct me to the KB or other help on
    > > upgrading XP Home to XP Pro when Home has XP2
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > I don't have a FULL Pro XP 2, just the Full SP1 and
    > > the upgrade SP2 so when I try to "upgrade" with SP1
    > > it complains of a lesser version (since Home is already
    > > at SP2.)
    > >
    > > I suppose my options include:
    > >
    > > 1) Uninstalling SP2 before the upgrade
    > >
    > > 2) Slipstreaming an installation point of XP Pro to SP2
    > >
    > > Are there simple options for doing this?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/scroll down towards the
    bottom and find "Windows XP Service Pack 2"/click it to highlight
    it/click "Remove'. After removal completes, install your upgrade to XP
    Pro/then re-install Service Pack 2/then go to the Windows Update site.
    Fool around with slipstreaming AFTER you get Prof up and running. Then
    use it the next time you have to re-install XP [that time always comes].
    Gene K

    Herb Martin wrote:
    > Can someone direct me to the KB or other help on
    > upgrading XP Home to XP Pro when Home has XP2
    > installed.
    >
    > I don't have a FULL Pro XP 2, just the Full SP1 and
    > the upgrade SP2 so when I try to "upgrade" with SP1
    > it complains of a lesser version (since Home is already
    > at SP2.)
    >
    > I suppose my options include:
    >
    > 1) Uninstalling SP2 before the upgrade
    >
    > 2) Slipstreaming an installation point of XP Pro to SP2
    >
    > Are there simple options for doing this?

Microsoft Windows XP