Whether to upgrade soundcard!!

schumi_thelegend

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Hi, i recently joined joined this forum after reading all the helpful replies to most of the user's problems.
i just upgraded to a 5.1 system, creative inspire 5200. the sound quality is stunning after upgrading from a cheap 2.1 system!!! i was wondering whether or not to upgrade my sound card. i am using an OB sound, with intel high def. audio a.k.a Azalia chip on a G965 chipset. i generally my comp for movies and games.
i am also a little tight on budget (about $20 left!!!) after buying an expensive GC and LCD monitor.
Any help will be highly appreciated
My config:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Intel DG965RYCK
1 Gb DDR2 533
GF 7900GT
Acer 22" widescreen LCD

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Most people think that OB sound is sufficient. Those people obviously never experienced HD sound from a decent card. I've only used creative cards on my PC setups and they are terrific. I'd recommend spending more than 20 dollars though.

I picked up my Augigy 4 for about 80 bucks with shipping and it is an excellent card. My last card was an Audigy 2 Value which was also excellent for gaming and music which is all I care about on my PC. That card was 70 bucks 2 years ago.

My guess is that you would be satisfied with one of these cheaper solutions because they have all of the quality that you need without the extra features you won't use. You can also bet that the speaker system you bought was optimized for creative audio processors.

Save some money and get something with EAX and 24 bit sampling. You won't regret it.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Well i say it is a no brainer if you can get your creative xtreme music for only 50$ Cdn like i did. :)

(i just put the 40$ US creative rebate in the bank the other day)

!! so upgrade if you find it at that price !!