Power Supply Popping Noise and Blue Smoke

Kingslayer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Hi all, I need some Help/advice. Long story short my power supply made a loud popping noise followed by blue smoke. I was gaming at the time, computer didnt completely shut down. Lost video, Hard drives and CD-ROM. I unplugged comp and started back up. Power to Mobo is ok but the other rail running HDD's, Video Card, and CD-ROM apparently Fried. My worries are the components on the rail that blew. Will they be ok? Best way to test? Any advice on a good or descent PSU? Any help I would greatly appreciate :) Thanks all.

My Specs are:
P4 3.0GHZ prescott
Gigabyte 8KNXP Mobo
1 Gig Corsair value ram
Sapphire Radeon X800GTO AGP
2 HDD's Small Raptor and WD 40 gig
Aspire Xdreamer Case (Case came with 350watt PSU)
CD-ROM and floppy

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Wow. Just in time for Halloween. You can use your psu as a smoke machine. LOL.

I'm not sure what could be wrong, but you should buy a psu tester to test each connector. I think it's time to get a new psu. I would recommend Enermax, Corsair, and Thermaltake.

I've done some research for you and created a list of excellent psu's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153033

These psu's are good enough for upgrading your pc to high end components. :D

wonderle

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I got the same thing on other system with 450W power supply. I did not dare to turn on - good chance it can burn other components. Lucky, after replaced with 550w the system run ...

I like PC&Cooling with very high efficiency and quiet. But it did not fit in my P180 good. I replaced with TruePower Trio 650W and it's very quite and is running good !

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Any brand name PSU with over 400W should be fine as a replacement. However, for something that will last and deliver rock-steady performance, money will be needed... You have a price range?

Antec NeoHE is a nice performaing unit, same with the Trio and TruePower.

OCZ GameXStream, Corsair HX520 or HX620, TT Toughpower, PC P&C, Fortran, Seasonic, all of these are some of the best in the buisness, can't go wrong with any of them.

Look at what your future holds for you, if you see upgrading to Dual Core and DX10 cards, then get something at least 600W with 3 12V rails at least.

Components wise right now, I would say, get a new psu and see what works and what don't HDD's should be fine, Optical's should be fine... Graphic's, hope and pray, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Milbo183

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Hello. Like everybody says; get a new psu and go from there.

Remember,all electronic devices run on the magic blue smoke inside.Once you let it out,they don´t work anymore.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Okay, I'm just getting into computer-repair, but I think I have a bit of useful info. Ha.

So, from what I've heard, PSUs that come with cases are usually pieces of crap, and 400w is the lowest amount of wattage you need to go for. Antec seems to be a great supplier of PSUs, so if you're going to be buying a new one, I'd recommend them.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
like everyone else. try another psu and good luck.

you might try the mobo,cpu,1 stick of ram and hddd.
no gpu or opticaldrive first.
with a new psu first.

and agian good luck.

Kingslayer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Thank to all for the great advise, although I would love any of the PSU's you guys told me about, I cant afford them. I ordered a ThermalTake from Newegg.

Newegg Link

This PSU is 430 watts and it was only 40$. I should not have restarted the Comp again, dont know what I was thinking. I really hope the rest of my computer is ok :lol:

I took out the Old PSU, and took it apart there was a an area on the circuit board that was a darker color but didnt appear "burnt".

Anyway thanks again, my new PSU should be here today!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Good luck, be sure to post results. Hope everythings in working older...

And the darker color, is it the connector or the plastic... it probably got burnt a bit but nothing to really worry about. Unlike the thread of the guy who fused his PSU to his mobo...