Canon FS4000US

Hi there,

I´m thinking about purchasing a Canon FS4000US. Does anybody here has
experiences with this model?!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Carsten
3 answers Last reply
More about canon fs4000us

    PS: Especially I need informations about scanning APS!

    Thanks,
    Carsten

    "Carsten Keun" <zarrrsten@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I´m thinking about purchasing a Canon FS4000US. Does anybody here has
    > experiences with this model?!
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Carsten

    Best scanning tips on the net.
    http://www.scantips.com

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "Carsten Keunecke" <ckeunecke@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > PS: Especially I need informations about scanning APS!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carsten
    >

    > "Carsten Keun" <zarrrsten@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I´m thinking about purchasing a Canon FS4000US. Does anybody here has
    >> experiences with this model?!
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Carsten

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I have owned this scanner since it first came out: early 2001. The design
    has not been significantly revised since. However the 4000 scans are of such
    high quality for my amateur purposes that there is no point for me to
    replace the scanner as I use less and less film and more digital.
    It is a hi quality machine, but slow even using SCSI. I never scan at less
    than 2400 dpi which may be why it seems so slow. You don't want to use this
    scanner through a USB1 connection so you have to buy a SCSI card and cable,
    which adds another $100 or so to the price. You have to manually set the
    SCSI device number, an unusual cludge even for 2001, but this is not
    difficult.
    Many users prefer Vuescan to the Canon software: in my experience the Canon
    software works better with negative materials but Vuescan yields better
    color fidelity with transparencies. Vuescan allows many esoteric adjustments
    that do not necessarily improve the quality of the scan.
    I have scanned thousands of images with this machine and it still works as
    well as the day I first got it. The build quality is excellent.
    The APS adapter works well, but is slow because unless you know which frame
    you want you have to prescan the entire roll. Also the entire roll has to
    unspool before any scanning takes place and you have to make sure you have
    rewound the film before removing the adapter or the film will still be drawn
    out of the cassette and exposed.
    If you are into color management the canned profile for the scanner is not
    that useful and mostly beside the point once you get the scan made anyway.
    If you are going to use a scanner of this calibre it behooves you to
    understand Photoshop style color management and image processing if you
    really want to see what the scanner is capable of producing: no film scanner
    produces an image that is ready for printing without further processing.

Scanners Canon Peripherals