best battery life on PocketPC?

February 10, 2005 11:10:44 PM

I have an Asus a730w that I really like except for it's dismal battery
life (2 hours at most)

Now I find I need smething for extensive note taking (full 8 hour days
of seminars etc +some entertainment in the down hours) Has anyone
experience of using a Pocket PC (not palm as I want to be able to use
all my already purchased programs) with excellent real life battery
life.

Bluetooth would be handy (for a keyboard or headset) wifi not
necessary.
wm2003 preferred (again program compatibility)

Is there anything out that that in real useage gets 12 hours or more
to a single charge?

More about : battery life pocketpc

February 10, 2005 11:10:45 PM

The best way to extend battery life is get a Dell.

My HP548 got about a half of battery life.

I dumped it and got a Dell Axim X5 which gets
about 8 hours per charge.

Another reason why HP is going down the tubes.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:49:29 PM

Jane,

The display is the main power grabber. I have found that I can use my
Bluetooth enabled Ipaq for about 6 hours by turning the display down to
minimum brightness. Larger battery packs can be purchase for most brands of
PDAs. There are also some packs that can be plugged into the power input or
USB connectors to lengthen the operating time on battery. Another choice is
to bring your charger along and stay plugged in whenever possible.

Good luck!

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Asus a730w that I really like except for it's dismal battery
> life (2 hours at most)
>
> Now I find I need smething for extensive note taking (full 8 hour days
> of seminars etc +some entertainment in the down hours) Has anyone
> experience of using a Pocket PC (not palm as I want to be able to use
> all my already purchased programs) with excellent real life battery
> life.
>
> Bluetooth would be handy (for a keyboard or headset) wifi not
> necessary.
> wm2003 preferred (again program compatibility)
>
> Is there anything out that that in real useage gets 12 hours or more
> to a single charge?

February 11, 2005 3:02:13 AM

Reply to message from "DW" <DrWoodardOnDS@hotmail.com> (Thu, 10 Feb 2005
19:10:50) about ""Re: best battery life on PocketPC?"":

> I dumped it and got a Dell Axim X5 which gets about 8 hours per charge.

> Another reason why HP is going down the tubes.

My hp rx3115 with extended battery more than doubles that... Even with wifi
(set to auto save though). Right now, as I type this, the meter at
settings/system/power/standby shows 27.5 hours remaining (but the battery
is at 99% at the moment, with wifi on, bt off).

I would have to change my use of the device if it only had 8 hours... But
the extended battry does make it a bit more lumpy, true enough.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:07:50 AM

I'v heard that there is an ASUS (716??) that gets around 12 hours.
Anyone have any experience with that one? I had wondered if it might
be compatible accessory wise with the ASUS I have - which can't be
returned :-(
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:08:20 PM

ZD Net just did an article "PDAs That Last and Last"
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-3127_16-5649760.html?...

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Asus a730w that I really like except for it's dismal battery
> life (2 hours at most)
>
> Now I find I need smething for extensive note taking (full 8 hour days
> of seminars etc +some entertainment in the down hours) Has anyone
> experience of using a Pocket PC (not palm as I want to be able to use
> all my already purchased programs) with excellent real life battery
> life.
>
> Bluetooth would be handy (for a keyboard or headset) wifi not
> necessary.
> wm2003 preferred (again program compatibility)
>
> Is there anything out that that in real useage gets 12 hours or more
> to a single charge?

February 11, 2005 5:50:07 PM

Just buy another battery, I have 2 spares and I can use my pocket PC ALL
day. They are very small (fit in your pocket) so carrying a spare around
with you is not a problem (I keep my spare in my wallet!)
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:28:32 PM

I have a716, i can listen mp3 music with display always off over 16 hours,
depends of volume and music bitrate.

> I'v heard that there is an ASUS (716??) that gets around 12 hours.
> Anyone have any experience with that one? I had wondered if it might
> be compatible accessory wise with the ASUS I have - which can't be
> returned :-(
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:34:52 PM

I cant beleave in that 2 hours.
I am sure, you are doing something wrong or your device is defective.

Fist main thing. 730w has WiFi, isnt? Is it turned on? If it's so all is
right, you will never find device that can work longer with WiFi turned on.
Bluetooth can be the reason too, but not so much.
The second thing. What is your backlight level? I can read clearly on
minimum level and badly with off at all. If i will turn it to max my asus716
will work 2-3 times less.

Check your WiFi, Bluetooth and backlight level. Set backlight to minimum but
on and other two turn off. Then check time.

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an Asus a730w that I really like except for it's dismal battery
> life (2 hours at most)
>
> Now I find I need smething for extensive note taking (full 8 hour days
> of seminars etc +some entertainment in the down hours) Has anyone
> experience of using a Pocket PC (not palm as I want to be able to use
> all my already purchased programs) with excellent real life battery
> life.
>
> Bluetooth would be handy (for a keyboard or headset) wifi not
> necessary.
> wm2003 preferred (again program compatibility)
>
> Is there anything out that that in real useage gets 12 hours or more
> to a single charge?

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:34:53 PM

Backlight is set to medium and wifi and bluetooth are both off. I
found this in a review on the web which is true in my case.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ASUS_A730W.htm

Battery Life

The A730W has a user replaceable 1,100 mAh battery, and two batteries
are included in the box. An optional 1,800 mAh battery is also
available for separate purchase. 1100 mA is a small capacity battery
for a unit with a fast processor speed, WiFi and a 3.7" display. In
our tests the unit lasted about 2 hours on a full charge in a mix of
use with brightness set to 60%: access PIM info, working with Pocket
Word and Excel, playing MP3s for 30 minutes, watching a five minute
video, shooting 10 photos and playing games for an hour. If you have
Bluetooth turned on, battery life will be reduced by about 30 minutes.
Standby time wasn't terribly impressive either, with the unit losing
10% charge per day (standby means the unit is not used at all).

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:34:52 +0600, "Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru>
wrote:

>I cant beleave in that 2 hours.
>I am sure, you are doing something wrong or your device is defective.
>
>Fist main thing. 730w has WiFi, isnt? Is it turned on? If it's so all is
>right, you will never find device that can work longer with WiFi turned on.
>Bluetooth can be the reason too, but not so much.
>The second thing. What is your backlight level? I can read clearly on
>minimum level and badly with off at all. If i will turn it to max my asus716
>will work 2-3 times less.
>
>Check your WiFi, Bluetooth and backlight level. Set backlight to minimum but
>on and other two turn off. Then check time.
>
>"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have an Asus a730w that I really like except for it's dismal battery
>> life (2 hours at most)
>>
>> Now I find I need smething for extensive note taking (full 8 hour days
>> of seminars etc +some entertainment in the down hours) Has anyone
>> experience of using a Pocket PC (not palm as I want to be able to use
>> all my already purchased programs) with excellent real life battery
>> life.
>>
>> Bluetooth would be handy (for a keyboard or headset) wifi not
>> necessary.
>> wm2003 preferred (again program compatibility)
>>
>> Is there anything out that that in real useage gets 12 hours or more
>> to a single charge?

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:42:06 AM

I'm sure I can read books more then 8 hours continuously on my Asus 716.
I dont know about 9 hours and more just haven't tried.
WiFi and BT is off, backlight is minimum. It's about 10% per 1 hour.
By the way, power saving mode is on. In such mode reading books it works at
200Mhz (400Mhz max)
..
> Backlight is set to medium and wifi and bluetooth are both off. I
> found this in a review on the web which is true in my case.
>
> http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ASUS_A730W.htm
>
> Battery Life
>
> The A730W has a user replaceable 1,100 mAh battery, and two batteries
> are included in the box. An optional 1,800 mAh battery is also
> available for separate purchase. 1100 mA is a small capacity battery
> for a unit with a fast processor speed, WiFi and a 3.7" display. In
> our tests the unit lasted about 2 hours on a full charge in a mix of
> use with brightness set to 60%: access PIM info, working with Pocket
> Word and Excel, playing MP3s for 30 minutes, watching a five minute
> video, shooting 10 photos and playing games for an hour. If you have
> Bluetooth turned on, battery life will be reduced by about 30 minutes.
> Standby time wasn't terribly impressive either, with the unit losing
> 10% charge per day (standby means the unit is not used at all).
>

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:34:52 +0600, "Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru>
> wrote:
>
> >I cant beleave in that 2 hours.
> >I am sure, you are doing something wrong or your device is defective.
> >
> >Fist main thing. 730w has WiFi, isnt? Is it turned on? If it's so all is
> >right, you will never find device that can work longer with WiFi turned
on.
> >Bluetooth can be the reason too, but not so much.
> >The second thing. What is your backlight level? I can read clearly on
> >minimum level and badly with off at all. If i will turn it to max my
asus716
> >will work 2-3 times less.
> >
> >Check your WiFi, Bluetooth and backlight level. Set backlight to minimum
but
> >on and other two turn off. Then check time.
> >
> >"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have an Asus a730w that I really like except for it's dismal battery
> >> life (2 hours at most)
> >>
> >> Now I find I need smething for extensive note taking (full 8 hour days
> >> of seminars etc +some entertainment in the down hours) Has anyone
> >> experience of using a Pocket PC (not palm as I want to be able to use
> >> all my already purchased programs) with excellent real life battery
> >> life.
> >>
> >> Bluetooth would be handy (for a keyboard or headset) wifi not
> >> necessary.
> >> wm2003 preferred (again program compatibility)
> >>
> >> Is there anything out that that in real useage gets 12 hours or more
> >> to a single charge?

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:29:15 AM

The Dell X5 had remarkable battery life. The X3/30 series less so and the
X50 depends a lot on the model. The X50v with 624Mhz and a VGA screen with
graphics coprocessor, could really stand a bigger battery.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"DW" <DrWoodardOnDS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The best way to extend battery life is get a Dell.
>
> My HP548 got about a half of battery life.
>
> I dumped it and got a Dell Axim X5 which gets
> about 8 hours per charge.
>
> Another reason why HP is going down the tubes.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:50:22 AM

What about X50 (without the v)? Review says that it's not good either.
However, for somebody who does not do BT, Wifi and video, MP3 daily,
how good is the 1100 mAh that comes with it ?

For BT, I intend to use it for SMS with my mobile phone when I'm on the
go (not at office or home). For Wifi, I intend to use it when I'm at
home, so if it runs out, it's OK. I'm not going to use Wifi at public
place extensively.

In my case, hour many hours (using PIM functions) would it last me ?

!