Slow Win7 64bit install!

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello!

I recently attempted to install windows seven on my new build and to my dismay the install is taking much longer than it normally would on my other builds.

Roughly ten or so minutes longer, I realise that this is not a truely large amount of time. But I would rather have my computer loading and installing software in a timely manner.

The computer takes roughly 20-30 minutes to load and install Win7 64bit on a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD and LG BR optical drive. However, using the two same hardware in a different build it takes only 10-15 minutes to load and install Win7 64bit.

Perhaps I missed options in the BIOS?
I have my SSD set to AHCI and still it takes much longer than usual.
I have also tried installing with my SSD set to IDE but no dice.

My specs are as follows:

Gigabyte p67a UD7 B3
Intel i7 2600K
EVGA 480 GTX SuperClock
Kingston HyperX Grey Edition 12GB
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
Seasonic X850 Gold

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Go into your bios and check to see if it has a floppy disk indicated. For some reason this slows down the install, even if you don't have a floppy disk drive installed. Tell it there is no floppy disk drive and the install will go better.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Indeed, I had thought of that and upon checking around my BIOS (BIOS version F4) I was unable to locate any such option.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I've seen some boards list the option as like Floppy Detect or something like that. On another note though, you don't think the slower install might be fault of the optical drive you're using in the that new build do you? I mean, all that install data is coming from a DVD. Unless you're using the same optical drive in each machine, it's a possibility.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

I see, I installed the optical drive in a different build and it seems to install normally. Im not quite sure that the problem is, the SSD seems to perform fine after Windows is installed though.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
On my Gigabyte P55A-UD3 board, I think it's in Integrated Devices or something like that, I think there's something about a floppy controller (FDD) - disable that. I don't think it shows it as a floppy drive. While you're at it, since I think the COM and LPT (serial and parallel respectively) are in the same section, go ahead and disable them - on my board at least, you need a separate adapter to get those ports (on a PCI slot like thingy) from mobo pins, which I don't use and I doubt anyone else does either.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
There's several accounts on the web about people solving this problem by disabling the floppy drive. Some said they couldn't disable the floppy drive, but in their BIOS was a place where you set the drive letter of the floppy drive and it's default value is A:, but you can change that to None and accomplish the same thing and that's fixed it for many other people.