safely remove hardware notice

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I have the icon in my tray (Win XP Pro) for "safely remove hardware". It lists the "realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54mbps usb 2.0 network adapter".

How can I stop this? I do not want to remove this adapter.

Thanks!

Eddie

Evil-Weazel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Do You have SATA drive? If you do they are considered hot swappable and the "Safely Remove Hardware" will remain in the Taskbar. Also if you have a card reader whether it has media in it or not you will see the "Safely Remove Hardware" notification then also. Some USB hubs will also do that and in your case your USB WiFi, so basically there is nothing wrong, if windows detects a SATA or USB device it will show the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. :)

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
How can I stop this? I do not want to remove this adapter.

Do you ever actually use the wireless adapter? If not why not just remove it. It's not as if you can't just put it back in if you ever decide to start using it.
Unless you take it out, you're just going to have to live with the annoying windows notification.

Evil-Weazel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Actually the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon if you click on it and tell it which device you want to remove, actually turns off the device. If for instance you have a pen drive inserted most of them have an LED and when you select to remove device it turns it off. You don't really want to do this with a card reader because you will have to restart the device to use it again.

colbys_11

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I had the same problem, but now i need to use the wireless network adapter. Any ideas of how to take it off this list so that i can use it? (it is in an unreachable place to physically remove it)