Which video card is better?

fireplague

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Hello. I am a newbie when it comes to video cards hence i am asking the experts here. I have an AGP slot and right now I am using the Radeon 9550 video card. I plan on upgrading the video card so i can play games like Flight Simulator X, i was debating between 2 video cards. First is the X1600 PRO 512MB, and the other one is the BFG 6800 GS OC. I am getting the ATI card for 60 dollars cheaper than the NVidia card, but I have no ideas on video cards hence this post. Since I live in Canada I can't use Newegg or American sites. Could you guys please tell me which one to get?
Thanks

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
fireplague said:
Hello. I am a newbie when it comes to video cards hence i am asking the experts here. I have an AGP slot and right now I am using the Radeon 9550 video card. I plan on upgrading the video card so i can play games like Flight Simulator X, i was debating between 2 video cards. First is the X1600 PRO 512MB, and the other one is the BFG 6800 GS OC. I am getting the ATI card for 60 dollars cheaper than the NVidia card, but I have no ideas on video cards hence this post. Since I live in Canada I can't use Newegg or American sites. Could you guys please tell me which one to get?
Thanks[/quote

both those cards are terrible performers at that price point, you can either get a X1900 PRO or if you can find one in your price range, a
X1900XT, both the cards i mentioned will smoke the two cards you listed, along with the 7600GT EnforcerFX mentioned

the 1900 PRO should be about $200 and the X1900XT for about $230 depending on availability

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
First of all, there is no X1900 Pro, and the prices on cards you quoted him arent applicable because he is a Canadian consumer. They pay a bit more for their cards, and availability is much slimmer over there.

fireplague

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
First of all, there is no X1900 Pro, and the prices on cards you quoted him arent applicable because he is a Canadian consumer. They pay a bit more for their cards, and availability is much slimmer over there.

Like genetic Weapon said, the market in canada is not that good. plus i am looking for an AGP card for around 150-200 dollars. I will be doing a total system upgrade in the near future so don't need anything that fancy or high end for now.

Thanks

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003

pauldh

Illustrious
This is the card you want

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2201323&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

awsome card, 256MB of memory and 256mb interface along with 8 pipeline, its AGP, only 177+(no rebates) and will run current game very well.
That card is clocked like like a reference 6800GS but with 8 pipes vs. the 6800GS's 12-pipes. The 6800GS is obviously better.

OP, of your two the 6800GS is better for sure. I rarley feel that card represents the most for the money, but looking over the choices on that website, the BFG 6800GS seems to be the best priced $150 and up AGP card (compared to prices I am used to in the USA). I don't see the 7600GT in AGP, the X850 pro is priced way to high, and the 7600GS cost more than the BFG 6800GS. So rules those out. It looks like it's the $180 BFG 6800GS for the win unless you want to dump out $300 for the 7800GS.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2201323&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

awsome card, 256MB of memory and 256mb interface along with 8 pipeline, its AGP, only 177+(no rebates) and will run current game very well.
GO AWAY!!!!

THAT'S THE WORST FREAKING CARD IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND!!!!!

EITHER GIVE GOOD ADVICE, OR DON'T POST, THE 6800XT IS A PIECE OF CRAP, AND DESERVES TO DIE. AND ANYONE WHO RECOMMENDS THAT CARD SHOULD BE PUT IN PRISON, OR ON DEATH ROW!!!!

NO ONE WANTS A CRAPPY 6800XT!!!!!!!!

CAN'T PEOPLE LEARN FFS!!!!!?!??!????

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Wait until the end of November. The X1950Pro should have an AGP flavor by then. This will be out of your price range but it might lower current AGP prices for you.

Do you know anyone in the states to buy you a video card and mail it to you? If so, the X850Pro is at Newegg for $140.

fireplague

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks guys for the input. Unfortunately i don't know anyone in the states, so I am stuck as I have to buy from here in Canada. The range i was looking for was 150-200 dollars. There in no point in spending more since, I will be getting a new computer with PCI Express around this time next year. So between the 2 cards I should go for the 6800 GS OC right?

Thanks

cleeve

Illustrious
6800 with 8 pipelines or an X1600 PRO?

God... that's the devil's choice. I advocate neither... find a used card on ebay, alot of people in the US will ship to Canada.

You should be able to pick up an X800 XL or 6800 GT for cheap, and either would absolutely crush any of the two choices you're considering. You should be able to get them for pretty cheap now, maybe even around $125 US. Our dollar is almost at par now, too, which is very good.

Just make sure you get it shipped trackable and insured USPS (United States postal Service) to avoid brokerage fees from couriers.
There's a chance you'll have to pay duty too, but it won't be much - and when it's all done it's still be cheaper, and provide twice the performance as that 6800 'extreme'.

For argument's sake, i think an X1600 PRO would beat an 8-pipe 6800. Maybe not by all that much though, I doubt either would dominate.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I know I'll take flack for this but as it stands right now my crap 6800xt is doing me just fine.

I am not a big gamer but still play HL2 when I can... and my 6800xt stands me in good stead for that. Media center and all my Win Apps are great with it. I will upgrade in the next few months but I didn't want to spend a great deal on this current build. If he's only investing a small amount of cash now... then this card is okay. I actaully paid less that $100us for my card after rebate.

Oh and isn't the 6800xt AGP version unlockable to 12 pipelines ? ( with a little luck of course ).

8O

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I have an XFX 6800GS AGP card in an older rig of mine. I managed to unlock the pipes on it using RivaTuner and was able to overclock it to run in the performance range between a 6800GT and ULTRA.

It's not a bad card at all with the tweaks.

Jinlim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
In my personal opinion, do not buy products from tigerdirect.ca.

They charge too much for their products. They may be good value in the United States but when it comes to Canada, everything is overpriced.

I recommend buying from www.canadacomputers.com or www.ncix.ca.

Both have a wide selection. Instead of recommending you a graphics card, I recommend upgrading your entire system to something that will accomodate pci-e. Don't stick with agp because pci-e cards perform better at the same price. Once you upgrade your computer, i recommend getting a 7600Gt. They have incredible overclocking potential and should NOT cost you over $200 CDN.

Again, I'd like to emphasize that www.tigerdirect.ca is NOT the place to shop.

Also, check for items over www.ebay.ca. They have awesome deals if you know where to look and if you look often. They have some incredible deals on new cards. Built myself an entire core 2 duo e6400 system capable of overclocking 3.2Ghz+ on a budget of around $500 CDN.

cleeve

Illustrious
I know I'll take flack for this but as it stands right now my crap 6800xt is doing me just fine.

Why would you take flak for it?
It's great that it works just fine for you, noone begrudges you for that.

But just because it works well for your needs, does that mean it's a good buy for the money?

Not by a long shot. An X800 XL or 6800 GT would eat it alive.

Sure, there's a possibility it'll unlock. But at best it'll perform like a 6800 GS or, if he's extremely lucky, like a 6800 GT/X800 XL. At worst, there's a good chance it won't unlock at all...

So why not buy a used X800 XL/6800 GT for less cash in the first place...?

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Personally if he's going to buy an AGP card then the 6800GS is a good, relatively cheap card for AGP. I own AGP versions of both the 6800GT and 6800GS. After unlocking the GS it will get over 10000 on 3D mark and matches the performance of the 6800GT.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Oh... I forgot to mention I agree that buying a used card is a good idea. Under the circumstances there are a lot of upgraders trading out their old cards all the time. Why not try to pick up something good on Ebay. Of course be sure to check their feedback rating first, you don't want someone's old toasted graphics card with a noisy fan. :cry:

fireplague

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Thanks for the tips guys. I have the 6800GS OC, but i am now getting tempted with the 6800 ULTRA OC from BFG which is available from ebay. right now it is at 127CDN + shipping. Also since you gy=uys are experts i would like to know, if the pipelines are 4 less but the core and memory clock is faster with faster memory bandwidth, is the card better than the one with less core and memory clock with less bandwidth but more pipelines?
Thanks

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I think the pipes are more important.

The 6800GS (AGP) can potentially be unlocked to 16 pipes and 5 vertex shaders using RivaTuner (a free download)

Details are available all over the place including here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1500237

I recommend you play with that 6800GS before throwing money at that 6800 ULTRA. An unlocked 6800GS with a little frequency overclock will get close to the ULTRA performance. Mine is running at 450Mhz Core ( up from 350 ) and 1.15Ghz from 1Ghz. 3D Mark 2003 scores are in the 10,000's on a Sempron 3000+ with Barton Core.

fireplague

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
thanks guys for the tips and help. I will get the 6800 GS OC then and overclock it further myself. Now i need to go get a new fan.....

cleeve

Illustrious
The 6800GS (AGP) can potentially be unlocked to 16 pipes and 5 vertex shaders using RivaTuner (a free download)

Key word: potentially.

No guarantees. A really good chance it won't unlock without massive screen corruption.

The X800 XL/6800 GT from ebay is cheaper, and no gamble...

Unless you're OK with the very real possibility of spending more money, getting a card that doesn't unlock, and has barely more performance than a 6600 GT.

Doesn't make sense when the used cards are so reasonably priced. The X800 XL's will give the performance of an UNLOCKED 6800 GS - and it'll beat the snot out of a regular 6800 GS. I've seen X800 XLs for as low as $110 on ebay.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006

dude shut up, no no no. this card has long been regarded as horrible since it came out. and its 256 bit memory controller, and a agp 7600gt will kick its ass all over the place any day. and it will not play current games well at all lacking real pixel power (sry not meaning to start a flame, but it had to be said) altho i would recomend the 7600GT. it is a solid card and is around $175 on newegg, so i doubt it would break $200 in canada

TRENDING THREADS