Boxing day freakout, CANADA

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
So, we're thinking of buying a new computer, after 7 years or so on this PC that has: 800mhz intel processor, 256mb ram, 32mb ati radeon graphics, 15GB HD, I wanna know how it feels like playing games on highest settings. :lol:
I was looking at these systems primarily: this Q6600-based system and]http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10096855&catid=10607&logon=&langid=ENand[/url] this other Q6600-based system http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10093844&catid=10607&logon=&langid=EN
I'm gonna use my old 17" flat screen DELL monitor and upgrade to an LCD later when they're on sale. The computer is going to be used for gaming, web-surfing, watching videos and movies, and listening to music.(I'm gonna play a lot but the games I play don't have the hardcore graphics that FEAR or Crysis or something would have)
Questions: Do you think those computers are upgrade-friendly? I'm going to keep this system for at least the next 4 years and probably will upgrade the graphics card soon, actually I might even buy a graphics card along with the computer.
Do you think those computers have a good power supply? (since I'm going to be upgrading video cards.)
Do you think these computers have a motherboard that will be able to support future CPUs and video cards?
Will the ATI HD 2600 PRO included in the computer will suffice for now, or will I need a new one right away? I was thinking a 8600GThttp://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10088613&catid= for 100$ but it's out of stock. (If I order it online while it's out of stock, will it still ship to me later at the same discounted price?)
What's the difference between a normal and refurbished comp and does it matter?
What's the difference between a normal and "media center" comp and does it matter?
I've got no choice but to buy a pre-built system under 1000$. If this system isn't very good, please try and find me a better one either in bestbuy.ca or futureshop.ca since I live in Canada.
Which of the two systems I listed are better? I'm assuming the more expensive one but what if I get the cheaper one and a good video card such as the 8600GT I listed?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
First you should probably post this in the Homebuilt Section, likely get more responses, unless you won't consider building, that is you must buy off the self. Imagine everyone would advise you to build it yourself, you'll have a much better machine and you can ensure it's upgradeable. A lot of your questions regarding upgrading that machine really can't be answered because there is no way to know what mfg/model mobo they used. At that price they're definitely not using the best parts, e.g., PSU. A refurbished machine is one someone returned and was fixed. Stay away from these and opened boxed, someone sent them back for a reason. The higher priced one has more RAM, better video, and looks like a better mobo, has 2 PCI slots. Suggest you download the manual for this mobo and see if you think you can follow the directions. If you can, you can build it yourself.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2560&ProductName=GA-P35-DS3L

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Honestly, I'd love to build it myself but I'm 12 years old and even if I could, my parents wouldn't let me because I might f**k up something.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you don't know anyone that can help you with a build, I'd suggest checking out jncs.com. The last computer I bought before starting to build I got from there, they even send you the boxes the parts come in as well as the manual and they don't recommend a system above your budget. The other you could do would be order the parts and have a local computer shop assemble it for you. They might even let you assemble it and be available for help. This would be your best solution. If you give us your budget, can make some recommendations. I don't think 12 is too young if you have someone that knows what there doing to help