Wireless Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 21, 2005 12:14:39 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hiya

Well my problem is with my notebook from Dell. Ive just moved to the UK from
the US and my wireless card seems to be useless. I changed the advanced
settings but I cannot change the location period. It said that if the
notebook was made in the US or Japan then that is the setting the wireless
card will stick too. So now I cannot get wireless in the UK but whenever I
configured for both or maybe just a few suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

More about : wireless problem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2005 12:14:40 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> It said that if the
> notebook was made in the US or Japan then that is the setting the wireless
> card will stick too.

It said?? who said?
I doubt that a notebook that was made in the US or Japan will not work
with a wireless network in the UK...after all, most of the components
are made in china anyway!

it must be some kind of setting that you are missing.... maybe the
channel or something, but that should be detected automaticall....
if you provide more info about what happens when you try to connect, you
might get better suggestions

good luck
hilz
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2005 2:06:06 PM

Az wrote:

> Well my problem is with my notebook from Dell.

Hey, I've got a notebook from Dell, I wonder why it works?

Maybe you could tell us what OS and, most importantly, what wireless adaptor
it's using. Off the top of my head, I know of at _least_ 3 (Intel ipw2100
and ipw2200 and some kind of Broadcom chip) that they're using. Most of
the laptops seem to have a choice of two, right now.
--
derek
Related resources

"Az" wrote in message
> Hiya
>
> Well my problem is with my notebook from Dell. Ive just moved to the UK
from
> the US and my wireless card seems to be useless. I changed the advanced
> settings but I cannot change the location period. It said that if the
> notebook was made in the US or Japan then that is the setting the wireless
> card will stick too. So now I cannot get wireless in the UK but whenever I
> configured for both or maybe just a few suggestions would help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What card do ya have?

My understanding is that channels 1 through 11 are the same (frequencies,
center freqs, ect) for US and England. If the AP there is on one of those
channels, it should work with a US card. (?)

The US goes to 11, but England goes to 13. (2 wider? Spinal Tap joke.)
The French only have channels 10 to 13, as they surrendered channels 1 to 9.

Cheers
Eric
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 22, 2005 11:34:02 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> The US goes to 11, but England goes to 13. (2 wider? Spinal Tap joke.)

Not just England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all go to 13
too.

> The French only have channels 10 to 13, as they surrendered channels 1 to 9.

Apart from the humour there, I think you'll find it's because they have
the other frequencies in use for military radar.

David.
September 22, 2005 7:51:17 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

1470 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) is the original wireless card
which I cannot change the location setting.
"Eric" <nospam@nospam.nospam.not> wrote in message

> "Az" wrote in message
>> Hiya
>>
>> Well my problem is with my notebook from Dell. Ive just moved to the UK
> from
>> the US and my wireless card seems to be useless. I changed the advanced
>> settings but I cannot change the location period. It said that if the
>> notebook was made in the US or Japan then that is the setting the
>> wireless
>> card will stick too. So now I cannot get wireless in the UK but whenever
>> configured for both or maybe just a few suggestions would help.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> What card do ya have?
>
> My understanding is that channels 1 through 11 are the same (frequencies,
> center freqs, ect) for US and England. If the AP there is on one of those
> channels, it should work with a US card. (?)
>
> The US goes to 11, but England goes to 13. (2 wider? Spinal Tap joke.)
> The French only have channels 10 to 13, as they surrendered channels 1 to
> 9.
>
> Cheers
> Eric

September 22, 2005 7:59:40 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I wish it did automatically but nothing seems to work when it comes to
wireless signals here in the UK. The notebook that I have as it was ordered
in the US on a support website it told me to change my location settings but
if the card was specific or the notebook was oredered from the US or Japan
that you cnnot change this location setting, hence my problem.

1470 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) is the wireless card installed
on my notbook

"hilz" <now@y.com> wrote in message news:jV_Xe.25233$8q.1876@lakeread01...
> > It said that if the
>> notebook was made in the US or Japan then that is the setting the
>> wireless
>> card will stick too.
>
> It said?? who said?
> I doubt that a notebook that was made in the US or Japan will not work
> with a wireless network in the UK...after all, most of the components are
> made in china anyway!
>
> it must be some kind of setting that you are missing.... maybe the channel
> or something, but that should be detected automaticall....
> if you provide more info about what happens when you try to connect, you
> might get better suggestions
>
> good luck
> hilz
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 22, 2005 8:17:55 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I wish it did automatically but nothing seems to work when it comes to
> wireless signals here in the UK. The notebook that I have as it was ordered
> in the US on a support website it told me to change my location settings but
> if the card was specific or the notebook was oredered from the US or Japan

I don't get it, if you bought it in the US, it will allow channels 1 to
11. The UK allows channels 1 to 13 but rarely are 12 and 13 chosen
because it excludes equipment.

If your laptop lets you use 1 to 11, chances are you'll have no problem
and I wouldn't bother fiddling trying to change to the UK location. I
have plenty of US sources stuff and just don't have a problem.

David.
September 22, 2005 9:29:00 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

So I wonder why it cannot locate a ireless signal here then?

But when I maximized its limits to searching for a wireless network it came
up with a ad - hoc network located in the US

Strange it doesnt wor here though darn it too!

"David Taylor" <djtaylor@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> I wish it did automatically but nothing seems to work when it comes to
>> wireless signals here in the UK. The notebook that I have as it was
>> ordered
>> in the US on a support website it told me to change my location settings
>> but
>> if the card was specific or the notebook was oredered from the US or
>> Japan
>
> I don't get it, if you bought it in the US, it will allow channels 1 to
> 11. The UK allows channels 1 to 13 but rarely are 12 and 13 chosen
> because it excludes equipment.
>
> If your laptop lets you use 1 to 11, chances are you'll have no problem
> and I wouldn't bother fiddling trying to change to the UK location. I
> have plenty of US sources stuff and just don't have a problem.
>
> David.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 22, 2005 10:26:40 PM

Az wrote:

> So I wonder why it cannot locate a ireless signal here then?
>
> But when I maximized its limits to searching for a wireless network it
> came up with a ad - hoc network located in the US

Noooo... It couldn't possibly have found an ad-hoc network in the US if
you're in the UK. WiFi just ain't that good!
--
derek
Anonymous

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> But when I maximized its limits to searching for a wireless network it came
> up with a ad - hoc network located in the US

I think you're confusing things. Sounds like all you're seeing is a
network that it had seen when in the US and is therefore in the list of
networks to probe for.

> Strange it doesnt wor here though darn it too!

May I ask a basic question? Have you got an access point at home or in
the office that you've tried to connect it to or are you just expecting
to find a wireless network wherever you are?

David.
!