Shared internet access via mobile phone

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I could use some advice on whether it is possible to have a laptop connected
to the internet via a mobile phone, presumably 3G, and then have another 6
laptops connect to this via wireless in order to share the internet
connection?

This is an unknown realm to me and was hoping someone could tell me if this
is a realistic achievement or if there is another path I should be taking.

Any advice or guidance will be most welcome!

Regards,

Scott
1 answer Last reply
More about shared internet access mobile phone
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Scott Grant <scott.grant@removetoreply@bigfoot.com> wrote:
    > I could use some advice on whether it is possible to have a laptop connected
    > to the internet via a mobile phone, presumably 3G, and then have another 6
    > laptops connect to this via wireless in order to share the internet
    > connection?

    That might be kind of slow.
    GPRS is likely around 30-60Kbps, or equivalent to a fast dialup.
    EGPRS via a phone is around 100Kbps, good enough for one user.
    EGPRS via a PC card is around 170Kbps.
    EV-DO is somewhat faster, up to 400-500Kbps.

    http://www.jiwire.com/junxion-box-product-overview.htm

    --
    ---

Internet Access Mobile Phones Wireless Networking