  • Phones
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 21, 2005 12:46:15 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I could use some advice on whether it is possible to have a laptop connected
to the internet via a mobile phone, presumably 3G, and then have another 6
laptops connect to this via wireless in order to share the internet
connection?

This is an unknown realm to me and was hoping someone could tell me if this
is a realistic achievement or if there is another path I should be taking.

Any advice or guidance will be most welcome!

Regards,

Scott

More about : shared internet access mobile phone

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:54:54 AM

Scott Grant <scott.grant@removetoreply@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I could use some advice on whether it is possible to have a laptop connected
> to the internet via a mobile phone, presumably 3G, and then have another 6
> laptops connect to this via wireless in order to share the internet
> connection?

That might be kind of slow.
GPRS is likely around 30-60Kbps, or equivalent to a fast dialup.
EGPRS via a phone is around 100Kbps, good enough for one user.
EGPRS via a PC card is around 170Kbps.
EV-DO is somewhat faster, up to 400-500Kbps.

http://www.jiwire.com/junxion-box-product-overview.htm

--
---