Recommendations for a newbie- mobo and video card

1sttimer

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
thanks for the info regarding the Intel mobo
As for "user-friendly" I mean easy to install and work with when setting up the system. I know nothing is easy, but maybe something good for first timers.

I'll probably use the pinnacles program for editing (which I have now), but Im willing to explore options.

Im looking at the c2d 6300 or 6400 and yes, I do plan to try overclocking the system.

I couldnt find much information on what video support is best for that Pinnacles Studio software. I'm pretty sure that the onboard video GMA X3000 would meet the minimum requirements though. Roughly speaking its somewhere between a FX 5200 and GF 6200 in terms of 3D graphics power. Im sure it would be safe to order one of the integrated video card motherboards - you can always slip in a more powerful video card later.

Since you want to overclock the Intel MB linked above isnt your best choice.
I wanted to recommend either the GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 with onboard video $145 or the GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 $116 and a GIGABYTE GeForce 7300GS $65 video card. But neither of those have onboard Firewire. You'd need to add a PCI Firewire card Zonet Firewire/USB2.0 PCI Combo Card $17

Another good option for an overclocking MB would be the ASUS P5B-E P965 $155 Has onboard Firewire support but not onboard video. BFG Tech GeForce 7300GT 256MB $80 or SAPPHIRE Radeon X1300PRO 256MB would be slightly more powerful video cards than the one listed above.

If you plan to use the new system for any gaming you'd likely want a more powerful graphics card.

As for being "user-friendly" to install and work with there is very little difference between one motherboard and another. As a first time builder you'll spend a LOT of time reading, staring at diagrams and re-reading before you start the actual building.
13-128-018-04.JPG

If you want to look over system ordering guides you can find some here:
Budget Buyer's Guide - October 2006
Midrange Buyer's Guide - September 2006
High-End Buyer's Guide - October 2006