DX10 hype

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
What's with all this talk about direct x 10. I read the article and all, but didn't see much of an improvement from the current cards. BTW, will the prices rise through the roof on these new cards? Are they only for gamers or what?

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
This is what the hype is about...take a look at these pictures. Current dx9 and the new dx10

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fabulous/
simply scroll over the pictures to see a differnce.

DX10 will also have a new "unified shader" so instead of 24 pipelines, 8 vertex... blah blah, all the new card will have 128-64 Shader units which can be used for anything.

you can read more on it here
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

DX10 will be the "new era" for graphical enhancements

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
The next person to start a DirectX 10 thread gets banned.

I'm freaking serious.

I SECOND THAT. :evil: At least untill vista comes out.
the G80 should be considered a NORMAL, BEASTLY gpu, but not dx10 untill the drivers come out.

i for one have had past my share of them. :evil:

Runescaper

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
This is what the hype is about...take a look at these pictures. Current dx9 and the new dx10

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fabulous/
simply scroll over the pictures to see a differnce.

DX10 will also have a new "unified shader" so instead of 24 pipelines, 8 vertex... blah blah, all the new card will have 128-64 Shader units which can be used for anything.

you can read more on it here
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

DX10 will be the "new era" for graphical enhancements

>.<

The above article depicts images and information which has been verified to be fake. This is not an accurate comparison between DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 as some of the images were not rendered, in fact, purely painted concept art.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005

I'm freaking serious.
I'm with you there.

There are shitloads threads, and people seem to piss themselves over it for no reason.

Well, what Stranger said is true, so I'm no going to repeat myself over and over. No one should. :roll:

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
First, things might not be as good as they look on paper. But if it perform as expected...

Much less work by the cpu to get VPU ready to work, so more cpu cycle for other thing like: AI, physics, or any other thing in the background.

Unified vertex and pixels shader, to which as been add a geometry shader, also unified. So instead of having unused shader unit because a scene is, say, "pixel" heavy but "vertex" light, now available unit will be split accordingly to the workload of any scene. Geometry unit will also permit some workload not possible before, but I can't explain (look like I still have some lesson to do :oops: ). Do a search and you should find. The end result is faster rendering if "unified" shader have the same efficiency as the old specialized ones. Otherwise, things might just be slower, but I don't think it'll be the case.

Lastly, more functions add to better rendering possibility for better looking scene than before.

The link Xazax310 put is just great to show the differences. You should know tough that the Dx10 images shown are not genuine but rendered through something like 3DMax. I'm saying only to say that real Dx10 image might not look this good, and certainly not in the first generation Dx10 titles. Think of this like comparing FarCry (first Dx9 title with Dx9 add on top of Dx8) and Oblivion (real Dx9 title). FarCry looks great, but not as much as Oblivion, whatwever other might say. It'll be the same with Dx10.

Edit= replace shader with vertex between "s. :wink:

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

I'm freaking serious.
I'm with you there.

There are shitloads threads, and people seem to piss themselves over it for no reason.

Well, what Stranger said is true, so I'm no going to repeat myself over and over. No one should. :roll:

so right you are
just wait and see
all this speculation is driving me nuts

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
What's with all this talk about direct x 10. I read the article and all, but didn't see much of an improvement from the current cards. BTW, will the prices rise through the roof on these new cards? Are they only for gamers or what?

martyrepost.jpg

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
StrangeStranger, I REALLY dont feel like getting into this again, whoever is right. Lets just BOTH never look at this thread again