Would 1x12v battery replace many 12v DC power adaptors?

drdoalot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I’m sure many of you out there are in a similar situation to myself with 100’s of power adaptors (many of which 12v DC) filling up all your power sockets. Not only that, if you are like me and are concerned about your electricity bill you will soon find out how much these can add up in terms of power consumption. Many power supplies have more power capability than what is required by the peripheral, and are also not as efficient as we would hope. Even when the adaptor is in the plug socket but not even feeding any current to the router/print server/modem/scanner etc. etc. it is still consuming.

A typical router power supply consumes approximately 12W of power, but if the router only requires 6W typical and up to 12W peak, then there is potential power wastage. NAS would also have a similar situation as the power supply would need to accommodate the hard drive(s) peak power consumption even though it would never be used at 100% on a constant basis.

How about if it were possible to have all 12v DC items connected to 1x12v battery which was fed by 1 charger and maybe a solar/wind charger. Would the peripherals have a problem sharing the same power source? At least there would be fewer power adaptors with smaller power wastage. Also a suitable battery would supply a much smoother power output and as long as it has a reasonable capacity it would be able to supply as high currents as needed with almost no voltage fluctuation at all. 10Ah should be suitable for up to 10 peripherals (if backed up by suitable charger). The battery charger would only need to feed enough to cover charging the battery while in use and also be enough to feed while majority of peripherals are in their highest power consuming state.

If anyone has done anything like this or has any expertise in this field please let me know what you think

Thanks

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
you would then need a power regulator to keep the suplied battery power at a steady 12 volts, as aposed to starting at 14 volts and recharging at 10