CD - DVD -RW

I just installed a dvd-rw before I was using the winxp explore to copy
files to a CD-R that I use to back up onfo on but now I have got the DVD
installed I can't copy files or looks like write with the CD-R side of
the cd-rom but I can use nero to copy files to DVD how and what do I
need to do to be able to just do what I was before
EG
I have a CD-r of pic's of my wife on it I wish to add more pics but
can't error indows is using the cd please wait

Hi,

By installing Nero, it takes over the function of writing to disks. Likely
it is that the native imapi burning service is now disabled to prevent
conflicts. This is by design. You should use Nero to write to the disks, you
should find a drive selection under the menu options.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Chris Taylor" <ctaylor@nosspam.au.net.netc> wrote in message
>I just installed a dvd-rw before I was using the winxp explore to copy
>files to a CD-R that I use to back up onfo on but now I have got the DVD
>installed I can't copy files or looks like write with the CD-R side of the
>cd-rom but I can use nero to copy files to DVD how and what do I need to do
>to be able to just do what I was before
> EG
> I have a CD-r of pic's of my wife on it I wish to add more pics but can't
> error indows is using the cd please wait

"Chris Taylor" <ctaylor@nosspam.au.net.netc> wrote in message
| I just installed a dvd-rw before I was using the winxp explore to copy
| files to a CD-R that I use to back up onfo on but now I have got the DVD
| installed I can't copy files or looks like write with the CD-R side of
| the cd-rom but I can use nero to copy files to DVD how and what do I
| need to do to be able to just do what I was before
| EG
| I have a CD-r of pic's of my wife on it I wish to add more pics but
| can't error indows is using the cd please wait

The native Windows CD burning facility is not capable of burning DVDs.
You'll have to use Nero for that. I think this answers one of your
questions but it's hard to tell; you should try posting in standard English
with punctuation, unless you don't care whether anyone can understand you or
not.

My answer is confined to the last sentence of your posting. Do it the
easy way: copy the pictures from the CD-R back to the computer [maybe to
a folder in My Documents] then add the new pictures you have to that
folder THEN burn to a new CD-R (new CD-R's are cheap).
Gene K

Chris Taylor wrote:
> I just installed a dvd-rw before I was using the winxp explore to copy
> files to a CD-R that I use to back up onfo on but now I have got the DVD
> installed I can't copy files or looks like write with the CD-R side of
> the cd-rom but I can use nero to copy files to DVD how and what do I
> need to do to be able to just do what I was before
> EG
> I have a CD-r of pic's of my wife on it I wish to add more pics but
> can't error indows is using the cd please wait

To write to discs "just like you used to" you can uninstall Nero first and
reboot. Right click the DVD Writer icon in the My Computer window. Select
Properties->Recording Tab. Check the box that enables recording on this
device. Now you can use the drag to disk feature of XP's built in CD writing
capabilities. However you won't be able to burn DVDs at all because XP
doesn't support DVD writers.

OK the above doesn't make much sense if you have a DVD writer but you wanted
to know how to do it just like you did before. I suggest that rather than
removing Nero you make a switch to using it rather than XP's built in
burning software. Nero is an excellent program and much more robust than
XP's software AND it supports writing to both CD and DVD. With Nero you need
to select the option to "Continue a multisession disc" when you want to do
more burning to the same disc.

You should spend time here
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/expertzone/columns/bridgman/august13.asp
and here http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm learning about CD writing in XP.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Chris Taylor" <ctaylor@nosspam.au.net.netc> wrote in message
| I just installed a dvd-rw before I was using the winxp explore to copy
| files to a CD-R that I use to back up onfo on but now I have got the DVD
| installed I can't copy files or looks like write with the CD-R side of
| the cd-rom but I can use nero to copy files to DVD how and what do I
| need to do to be able to just do what I was before
| EG
| I have a CD-r of pic's of my wife on it I wish to add more pics but
| can't error indows is using the cd please wait

I had early version of Nero and was still using the native imapi burning
service

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> By installing Nero, it takes over the function of writing to disks. Likely
> it is that the native imapi burning service is now disabled to prevent
> conflicts. This is by design. You should use Nero to write to the disks, you
> should find a drive selection under the menu options.

Perhaps your version of Nero isn't compatible with XP, you should check the
Nero website for compatible or for the latest version.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User