Boot device not found Hard disk (3F0)

wallycyr

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello,
I reinstalled my hp notebook after getting message boot disk not found (3F0). I am running System Type x64 hp pavilion Dv7 with a AMD Phenom P840 Triple Core Processor.
After restoring it from the recovery disk to.. from box condition and reloading all updates and drivers system still gives me the same message. The first time i reinstalled it to factory default and it didn't work. That is why the second time I did the from the box installation. I think I have created more than one operating system now and I don't know how to fix the problem. When it was originally loaded from Staples in January this year it wasn't really running great but I thought it was just my wireless connection was slow. Then it started to take a long time to do anything, on or offline. I went into the updates history from Microsoft and noticed that the first 14 updates they did failed. One of them was for display amd M880G with ati mobility. The computer began lagging worse and worse and starting to become unstable. That was when i decided to run the recovery disk not knowing that it was creating more hard disks. The message is back and now there is more than one hard disk and the last one i did was complete and all updates drivers were successful. I am still getting the boot devise not found message and sometimes it won't start at all.
Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk

To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

wallycyr

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Thanks for your reply...I didn't recieve a Windows 7 disk when I bought the computer and I don't know why? All they gave me were recovery disks and that is what I tried to do the reinstall from. My computer is lagging and running so slowly that it is impossible to use. I haven't turned it off unless absolutely necessary for updates. Should I have recieved a Win 7 disk when I bought the computer...I am new at this and thought the recovery disks they gave me were all I needed. They are not original Win 7 but hand made copies.

jtamad

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

andrewCRAW

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Hi, i am having the same problem. i went to the recovery option and asked it to bring up a cmd propmt and it went to the disk drive under x:/ for some reason. the problem with this is that when i did recovery, all the files were trasnfered across etc, then it gets to the window where it goes your vcomputer will restart and windows will be configured, when it reboots, it says there is not boot device. now back to cmd prompt: wjen i try and run startup.exe from the command prompt it say that autorun is missing or corrupted, which assume means that when the computer is looking for a boot device this is the file that usually kicks into action, the thing is, i have 2 sets of recovery disks and both of them say this, either my computer is f%^&, or hp are incompetent at coding recovery disks. which basically means my recovery disks are usless because of the same fault, and i have to get a new windows disk, because computer did not come with one

Ulymc

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I got my computer to work by taking out the hard drive and repositioning it. At first this didn't work because there was some pins that were bent wrong and I had to adjust it for it to recognize the hard drive again. After a couple of retries I finally got it to work. For this problem I suggest to look every where that is connected to the hard drive and make sure nothing is loose or broken on cables or the motherboard. Good luck !!!

Pradeepraj

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
hello wallycyr,

This problem is familiar with many HP notebook users, up to my knowledge you please don't afraid about your hard disk. The problem is not related to it. This error occurs approximately one year after you bought the notebook. When you press F10 button it displays BIOS window, then you press F10 again, a pop up appears displaying "Exit saving changes YES or NO". When you press YES then the system will restart automatically. If it again shows the error message no surprise at all, kindly repeat the above procedure for 4 to 5 times, accidentally and luckily your system will boot properly.

TRENDING THREADS