Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hello I have a MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum MB and the chipset cooler is being VERY loud and is starting to make grinding noises. I ordered a zalman cooler for it but the heatsink was way to tall to clear my video card. MSI is not being very helpful either. It's been almost a week and a half, and no response from them yet. I seen that some people are saying that the vantac iceberg will work as a replacement. Can anyone confirm this before I go buy one, or maybe reccomend a diffrent cooler. I just want to shut this thing up. Its actually loud enough to the point where its irritating, and gives me a headache to sit at pc. Thanks in advance for any help.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The Vantec Iceberg maybe a good replacement, but the problem is the fan. Them small fans spins so fast, it wears out really fast as well making that grinding noise.

I know that for sure, since I had the same problem with my GA-8N SLI Royal motherboard from Gigabyte. They sent me a new one but I figure it would not last just like the other one. So I remove the tiny fan leaving just the heatsink on top of the northbridge chipset. Instead I placed an 80mm fan on top of my graphics card and blowing towards the chipset heatsink. The temp went down big time as now I have 35c temp on it.

For your motherboard, if you don't overclock you might not need the fan as you can cool the northbridge with the heatsink alone. You should test it out and remove that tiny fan or turn it off. Most northbridge chipset don't need to be cooled by a fan, but overclocking wise then you need to cool that chipset as low as you can for stability. So test it out and run it with no fan and if you don't have any problem then it might be alright to run the chipset like that. But if you touch your chipset heatsink and can burn you finger then you really need to cool it with a fan.

My motherboard with no overclocking can run with chipset cooled only be the heatsink. It is hot but I don't encounter any problem. But when I overclocked I find my motherboard unstable in gaming with the northbridge cooled with the heatsink. That's is why I remove the noisy heatsink and replace it with an 80mm fan.

If you're looking for a good chipset cooler nonetheless then it is best you look at Thermalright.

Check this out.

Thermalright HR-05
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=530&p=0

or

Thermalright HR-05 SLI
http://www.pcmoddingmy.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.385.1

This chipset cooler is so big that it can passively cool a chipset really well. But you can buy a 70mm or 80mm fan and install it with zip ties. I would have bought this cooler but I manage to cool my stock chipset heatsink cooler with an 80mm fan.

Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Cool ty guys. I appreciate the help. I dont overclock at all, but was told that the chipset fan is important. I'm just worried if it goes out something will cook. The noise is very bothersome as well. The only issue is the placement of the fan/heatsink on it. it's so close to my video card slot it has to be tiny as can be.

Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I notice in the link you guys posted that the thermalrite ones are sort of offset and tall or am i looking at then wrong. The offset might help to clear my video card. The zalman one i dont think it would work. It looks big and wide. Are these designed for general use on northbridges, so i wouldnt have to worry about it not fitting my paticular chipset?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
it fits on most chipset mounts, the one for regular n/b and the other for the offset chipset that are obstracted with a graphics card. You'll have to find which one is good for your motherboard.

Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Do you think it would be wise to disconnect this fan? I do alot of gaming so im not sure if i should run it without the fan. I'm desperate for a fix MSI still hasent replied back to me nor has the pc shop. Its so loud that im wearing ear plugs to avoid the noise its that bad. I dont know which of these chipset coolers will work and id hate to spend money not knowing if any of them will fit. Anyone actually have this MB and a evga geforce 7600 GT that has upgraded there chipset cooler? The video card is quite large options are very limited here. I just want to end this noise its VERY irritating.

Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
You dont think clearence will be an issue with the video card slot being as close as it is? Thats my only worrie buying it then it not working out. I can get a picture off the msi site or a link to one of my board if that would help with easing m worries any. Yet again thanks very much for your info.

Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Nice. I sorta was thinking that cause in the pictures i seen of the jing ting it looked like it was able to be angled however you wanted. Great, very good news ty much.

Kilby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
How does this attach to your chipset actually. I see it says it comes with the universal clip design for all motherboards, but im not really seeing how it attaches from these pictures. I know the one on mine now is attached with the pegs that push thru the MB and clip in, so you have to pull the motherboard out to pop the pegs out.

dduummyy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
i have a thermaright hr-05 and it kicks. If you have the clearance i highly recommend it, it took mine from untouchable to barley warm.