You guessed it...another build thread.

Hi!

It’s time for a new build, but I really need some advice. I haven’t really followed the hardware scene for awhile so : / My budget is around 2900$.

I know that dx10 cards are coming out soon, 2 weeks or so? So, I really should wait if I want a high end graphic card? I don’t know how much better those cards are going to be, but I guess it’s worth waiting for.

Well, the only things I’ve pretty much decided on right now are:
Case: Antec P180B
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
Drive: BenQ DW1640
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700.
Hmm, and awhile ago I was looking into Western Digital Caviar RE2 500GB as general storage and Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB for os, still good?
As for the psu I have an OCZ PowerStream 600w, so that’s solved.

I have no idea what ddr2-memories I should buy and regarding motherboards I’m not sure there either.
What’s the best 775 motherboard without sli/crossfire? I’m pretty sure that I’m nothing going to use sli/crossfire, but cards without sli/crossfire seem to have much more problems than motherboards with sli/crossfire. So…maybe I should go for ABIT AW9D-MAX or Asus P5W DH Deluxe which I’ve been looking into to. And I guess that I could change my mind and buy 2 graphic cards instead of 1, and they are better on oc.
Ddr2? No idea really : / Really need some advice here.
I’ve been thinking of going for water cooling, any thoughts on that? Good kits out here?
Other thoughts? : )
8 answers Last reply
More about guessed another build thread
  1. I just recently bought the case you have in mind from Newegg.com. It a great case, but I'm having a bit of trouble with it. So I'd like to give you a bit of advice so you don't end up where I am. Make sure the motherboard you choose has the CPU 4pin power connector near the center of the board or your PSU have really long 4pin cables. I have a gigabyte S3 mother board and the PSU power connector is at the very top of the board. Since the case holds the PSU at the bottom I can't connect the cable to power the CPU and for the life of me an extender/adapter doesn't seem to exist. So make sure that the cables will reach.
  2. I've heard that the Asus board is a great one. It is very stable and can overclock great.

As far as RAM, if you plan to o/c get ddr2800 and if not get ddr2 533. I always get corsair and not the value select.
  3. Well, you've got a big budget at $2900 8O

There's a number of questions you've left unanswered:

1. What are you going to use the system for? Are you a big gamer, media (photoshop/3D Max), audiophile, overclocker, etc?

2. Do you want the system to be quad-core compatable?

3. What resolutions do you like to run apps or games at? This is a general guide as to whether you should consider SLI/Crossfire. You also might just get a board supporting it, but not a 2nd video card, for future upgrades.

4. Are you going to overclock it?

5. Are you willing to wait? For example, for quad core, or DX10, or even the Nvidia 680i chipset? Maybe for the Intel BadAxe 2?

6. Do you want to build it piece by piece, or just select all the pieces & have a shop do it?

Once all those are answered, and people start making suggestions, make sure you:

1. Get multiple opinions and read multiple reviews. Google the part and read reviews on it. Pull the part up on Newegg or another retailer and read the reviews of folks that bought it.
    You can find reviews on Tom's, and HardOCP, Anandtech, GuruOf3D, and True Review.

There's a bunch more out there (review sites), you'll see them when you google.

EDIT: Here's a great link: Anandtech - High-End Buyer's Guide
    (got it from WR2 8) )

2. "There's no such thing as a bad brand (except it's customer support), only bad products." - Wusy, Hardware Recommendation Guidelines

3. Before you ask about a specific product (like a mobo, RAM, etc) look in the relevent forum or use the search function. Very likely folks have already asked the same question for you.

4. There's always something new on the horizon, you'll have to decide if its worth waiting for.

5. Bleeding edge versus Maturity - its always best to buy a product that's "mature" - that's been out at least 3 months or longer. That way, any problems with the part will have shown up, they'll be lots of folks posting about it, along with fixes or workarounds. The manufacturer may have issued BIOS or driver updates, have fixed the problem themselves, etc.

Problem is, you won't be "bleeding edge", that is, the product you get is going to be even more dated (and all products are dated by the time you get them in your hands, heh). So it won't be the "latest and greatest". Keep focused on what you want the system for & get over the fact its not the biggest or fastest monster on the block.

Good luck! I'm going to envy the system you'll get (likely!) with that kind of budget.
  4. Yeah, it may be, but on the other hand I want a system that last quite awhile  I know I can’t really relay on that when talking about computer hardware, but a little bit with that budget : )

Anyway, I’ll answer your questions.

1. What’s the best for p0rn? Hehe, just kidding ; ) Well, I’m pretty overall. I play games, use photoshop and 3d max, overclock and so on. But, let’s say I’m more on the multimedia, games and overclock side.

2. Wouldn’t that be great for the future? I’m not so sure about all the advantages with quad – core so I can’t really say if I want/need it: / Are there any good quad – core ready motherboards?
    I would probably take a motherboard without quad-core if it’s good if there only is crappy quad – core motherboards that hasn’t really been tested or proven to be good.

3 1024 x 768, sometimes 800 x 600 ;p

4. Probably.

5. It depends; I’m willing to wait if it isn’t like 3 months or so and if it’s is worth waiting for.
    I’m looking to buy all my stuff in November, but I’m willing to wait to December if something good shows up under that period. I really should read up on what’s coming. I haven’t have time to do that, but now I have, the only thing I really know right now is that I need a new computer ;p If the advantages are worth waiting for I’ll wait as long as it is this year.

6. Piece by piece.

-----

1. Yeah, I always read multiple reviews, the things is that on some parts of hardware I’m not sure what to look for, for instance ddr2. If I’m put on the right direction there is no problem.

Google is everyone’s friend : )

2. Depends, but yeah, I guess that’s true ; P

3. Of course, but I’m looking for directions here. When I have them I will leave this part of the forums and ask for advice regarding specific products in the other forums : )

4. Yep.

5. Totally agree.

Well, I envy your system atm ; )
  5. There's some great points made in this thread that directly reflects the same budget you've got going:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/2800-3000-system-ftopict206256.html
  6. I think I'm going to settle for this:

Gfx: XFX GeForce 8800GTX
    Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme, nForce-680i SLI
    Hdd general: Western Digital Caviar RE2 500GB
    Hdd os: Western Digital Raptor 74 GB
    Ram: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X6400C4D 2048MB
    Sound: Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
    Drive: NEC 3550
    Cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Case: Aerocool 3T / maybe antec 180b
    Heatsink: Tuniq Tower 120

Thougts?

And one last thing. Any recommendations for a 19"or 21" tft?
  7. Just don't get the Pentium IV, i don't know what the heck i was on that day.
    They keep changing my meds, clouds my judgement...
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems