bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
There are many enjoyable non-objective based things to do in Crysis. We put together some of the best material from both the standard and hacked versions of the demo.

Watch The Video: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_crysis_jackassery.html

Have others taken the path less traveled in the Crysis demo? Favorite jackass pastimes? One can only imagine the nonsense one will be able to get themselves into when playing the full release.

-Ben

belgolas

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
All the stuff in the video I have already done. Also try to keep the turtle for the whole demo.

All the stuff you used can be put in using the editor or downloading a map with those weapons in.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I had alot of fun. Did this before I found out you can simply drop stuff by right clicking.

crysisfun1ak3.jpg

crysisfunmt5.jpg

You can also play night time in the demo by skipping ahead of Jester and Aztec (climb some rocks at the start).

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Jimbo, I think you're misunderstanding the situation. We pirated nothing. The content featured in this video is from the official Crysis single player demo, which was released as free content by Electronic Arts. However, some of the content in the video was a result of a rather well known hack that unlocks additional content in the demo. So the content was there all along, and some clever PC enthusiasts just discovered a way to unlock it. We stole nothing. We pirated nothing. And I most certainly did not violate my own personal stance against software and game piracy.

On a final semi-related note, I suspect that Crytek and EA, knowing fully well how jazzed PC gamers are for Crysis, put the extra content in the demo as a bonus will the full understanding that many gamers were going to hack and tinker with the demo as soon as it was released. I can't confirm that, of course. It's just a hunch. The again, the demo also had a hack that allows you to activate the DX10 graphics features for DX9 and XP, which is a real head-scratcher. So maybe they didn't mean to do it.

Read here fore more: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=522

turtlesoup

Distinguished
May 18, 2007

I agree 100% Rob. In fact I think your statement holds true for any software demo...

We pirated nothing. The content used is from the official [insert company here] [insert software product here] demo, which was released as free content by [insert company here]. However, some of the content was a result of a rather well known hack that unlocks additional content in the demo (you know, like finding a registration code on the web). So the content was there all along, and some clever PC enthusiasts just discovered a way to unlock it. We stole nothing. We pirated nothing. And I most certainly did not violate my own personal stance against software and game piracy.

On a final semi-related note, I suspect that [insert company here] , knowing fully well how jazzed PC users are for [insert software product here] , put the extra content in the demo as a bonus will the full understanding that many users were going to hack and tinker with the demo as soon as it was released.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
That first turtle is not a sea turtle. Looks more like a small galapagos turtle to me. :)
I was ROFL with the skeet shooting though!! I've only seen like 5 min of the video as it is downloading very slowly at the moment...

Edit: The Geneva conventions state that you should only use as much force as necessary to subdue your enemy. Pretty vague if you ask me. But I do believe that using enemy combatants as skeet would probably be frowned upon....Not that anybody else but the United States of America is actually held to account for violations of Geneva Convention Articles, though... :p

I can't believe you guys get paid to goof off like that, either... :p

fuhgetaboutit

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I registered for this forum just so I could say that video was awesome. Very funny, especially if you have played the demo.

Interesting bits I have seen playing it:

- Animals seem to die when you throw them sometimes. Seems to pluck them out of their little "be a live animal" subroutine in the engine.
- If you place it right, you can drive a pickup into an army jeep, jump out at the last second, and it'll hit the gas can in the back and blow things all to hell.
- You can circle back around to one of the checkpoints where there is a scripted sequence, except by circling back you see your squad just standing around and they are completely non-interactive.
- Do barrels of oil not explode when you shoot them, but just drain the oil out? I realize gas/diesel is much more flammable, but I would think you could blow up a barrel of crude oil if you wanted.
- If you swim too far away, they warn you that "these are shark-infested waters" except there is no shark, although there WAS a mod for Far Cry that let you put sharks in the water.

Far Cry had the most replay value for me of any FPS in a long time. Looks like Crysis will be more of the same. What a great time to be an FPS fan.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I laughed my butt off when you threw the chicken into the air and shot it, I was like no friggin way. LOL..

Chick-Fil-A anybody?

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
The stunts you guys pulled were good... but you missed out on an entirely more fun activity. Namely, seeing how far you can blast a vehicle into the sky using explosive barrels! It's great fun and if you haven't tried it, here's how.

1) Clear out the island of inhabitants so you can Sand Box all you'd like (but be sure to save ALL the explosives you can)
2) Find a vehicle
3) Find 2 (or more) explosive barrels
4) Grab a barrel and crouch walk into the vehicle. The barrel will begin bouncing the car up until you can throw the barrel underneath the vehicle.
5) Repeat step 4 with as much BOOM material as you please.
6) Step back... way back.
7) Shoot the barrels until they flame.
8) Blamo!
9) IF you placed the barrels correctly you can get the car to: shoot straight up (i must have cleared at least 300 ft with one car), cause it to cartwheel into the jungle.

**Once you're done laughing hysterically because of the ridiculousness of the explosion you can play a few more games.
1) Attempt to launch the vehicle and then 'catch' it... usually leading to death.
2) Attempt accuracy explosions. Move the vehicle away from a building and try to get the launch automobile to land through the roof.

HAVE FUN!

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I have to wonder if the Hacked extras are just another evolution of Hidden secrets of Games. For those of you old enough remember the secret stuff you can find in Mario Brothers? What about all of the Special moves in Mortal Combat? Programmers are notorious for hiding things in their code just for discovery purposes. Anyone remember the flight simulator in the Windows Platforms?

Anyway Game looks cool even though my rig can't handle it.

I suggest extra things in your Jackassery Video (I mean if UR going to do it do it large):
1) Popeye the Sailor man song played in teh background while on the boat.
2) Ride of the Valkeries played while doing the Chopper scenes
3) Play some down home blues grass while shoot'in dem animals
you get the idea....
Final Comments
I think you guys have stumbled on a great marketing ploy for yourselves (Unless you already knew that and I just blew it for you). You can set up whole storylines with showcasing new games. Put that together with hacks, or custom skins you may be able to put into the game (C'mon you guys are software weenies you can figure it out) and you could get a larger fan base within the gamer community.

Think about it.
My consultant fee is 120 an hour :sol:

bobnine

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Funny how they call it a hack, its not a hack at all, they included the editor with the demo, obviously people at toms hardware know a lot about what they're talking about. Btw the editor owns, its more fun than garry's mod.
Btw check out the awsome physics in use in this screen shot :p
crysisamazingfisiksiv8.jpg

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
That was, by far, the most entertaining video that the Second Take tema has put together. Maybe this is a direction you guys can explore more often?

wirelessfender

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
0_0 HAHA, that had to be the best TH video I have ever watched! And I love that ...hammer guy, I forget his name. You should really put him in more of your videos!

Also, Can you so kindly tell us the system specs you used to run this jackassery? That looked to run amazingly smooth.

jimbobhickville

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

Oh, I did misunderstand. I thought you had somehow imported levels that weren't in the demo into the demo. Didn't realize you just added vehicles and what-not. Thanks for the link.

That was great. I love the skeet shooting idea especially with the people. I say screw the Geneva Convention. Plus by 2020 I am sure it wont exist.

The way it ran seems similar to my system but maybe a different video card. If you notice the intro video for them seems choppy but it seems that way on my machine too.

Just for kicks: in Megaman X(very first of the X series and one of the best) on the SNES, if you got every upgrade then went to a certain level and wall jumped up you would get a bonus weapon from Dr. Light. It was Ryu's Hadouken from Super Street Fighter. You would do the same combo as in SSF, down-left +y and X would do a one hit kill Hadouken. Was awesome to beat the last boss with.

Other than that I think they did keep it so that people would make little levels and be able to include more than jus the base weapons and stuff so you could really experience Crysis.

TRENDING THREADS