Need Major Help Installing New Heatsink

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I have a core 2 duo e6400 on a gigabyte 965-ds3. I just bought the new scythe ninja plus. The thing is massive. I've installed it twice now and the temps the first time were 85 and the second time were 65. This is what i did to install it.
1) clean heatsink and cpu with isopropul alcohol.
2) arctic silver 5- I put one thin line verticaly down the center, then i took and old credit card and spread a thin even layer across the entire cpu. I tried to make it as thin and even as possible, without being able to see metal.
3) Then i put the heatsink on. This is hard since the thing is 6 or 7 inches tall and covers the screw down things. After about 10 minutes, i was able to get the screw downs nice and tight.
4) I booted up, went straight into the bios, and it read 65 degrees. I tried putting some even pressure on top of the heatsink, and the temps shrunk to 45. Which is still high for this heatsink.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!

Thanks for any help. I really need it up and running for work monday and at this point i'll be scramling eggs on it instead.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
yeh, if you dont have tight and even contact it gets mad hot.

right now im on stock cooling, but i noticed that if each of the plug screw things arent down perfectly tight then the thing will get really hot.

with screws you need to be even more careful that they are all the same because if they arent you have a definite gap. possibly your problem