fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
What Striping Block Size offers some of the best performance. I have recently purchased 2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144 to add to my computer for boot and gaming. But i am wondering what is the best Stripe Block size to use with them my MB defaults at 64kb. I am going to use these drives for windows, apps, and games. NO video editing or sound or anything like that. Pretty much focusing on gaming and windows and apps. So can anyone tell me what stripe size will give me the best performance???

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Google for some benchmarks. Its not hard to find benchmarks of single drives vs RAID 0 at various strip sizes.

You won't like what you find.

Mostly windows will load faster, software will install faster, and your gaming won't change at all.

RichPLS

Champion
64k is usually a pretty good compromise in power/performance, but it depends on your specifics... IMO, 32k is a bit too small and creates unnecessary CPU overload, and 128k would be better if performance is geared towards video content creation or other large file transfer servers.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
64k is usually a pretty good compromise in power/performance, but it depends on your specifics... IMO, 32k is a bit too small and creates unnecessary CPU overload, and 128k would be better if performance is geared towards video content creation or other large file transfer servers.

Agreed. Unless you have a full hardware RAID controller that will offload the CPU 100%, in which case smaller is fine.