Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
hi !

Here's my rig:

c2d E6700
gigabyte dq6
2x 1go ddr2 800 G-Skill
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro

I'm quite a newbie in the overclocking thing.
I've been trying to overclock my cpu but with no satisfying result so far. I use the software Easy Tune 5 and all I get is a maximum of 3150 ghz. If i try to push it a bit further the computer would freeze immediatly.
I think getting 3,3 ghz which is my goal is not asking way too much.
I did the ram thing to get a 1:1 ratio (ram then runs at 533mhz) but as i explained it wont go above 3150 ghz...
Also, these settings only work when using Easy Tune. When i enter these values in the bios the computer keeps on rebooting all the time.
Anyone has any idea how i could get a better result ??
Should I try using a different cpu ratio (going from 10 to 9 for instance) ??
I am aware there are plenty of threads about overclocking but i just dont get any result so any help from expert overclockers with some time in their hand would be very nice !!
I hope someone can provide me with advice!
sorry for the english mistakes (I'm French)

thanks in advance !

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I followed the sitcky here about c2d o/c and it worked fine. I managed to boot at 3,33ghz (fsb at 333) but it quickly froze after a few minutes in windows. I tried to enter the same voltage settings as in the overclock guide here. The only thing i'm not sure about was (G)MCH Voltage as it says it should be set to 1.55v but I cant find the default value so i have no idea how much it should be increased in the bios.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Northbridge voltage is quiet important to keep a stable OC. Cant remember the stock right now :?
Will ask someone with a whole numbers board, check the mobos manual.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
i have 2gb of pk. how fast will they run at 555 timings?
The PK is kind of a hit and miss when OCing, as you can get just up to 450Mhz you could get passed 533Mhz... It comes from a lower binning than the HZ, sometimes its the ICs that werent good enough to be HZ.

As for how fast your specific modules an go, I think youre better suitable to answer that :p
Use memory dividers if you dont want to OC enough to find out at 1:1

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
one more question:

"4. Increase SB Voltage (vICH) by +0.1V from default-lowest value "

what's that ? cant find it in the bios of the dq6.
thanks!

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Hey bro... wat happened??? no more post.

I am having the same mobo and conroe... mind telling me your settings now??

THanks...

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I'm perfectly stable at 3.4ghz now and that's just fine for me.
Right now my settings are:
fsb: 426 * 8 ( or 340*10)
memory: x2 (or 2.5 if you set the fsb to 340) with dd2 800, 5-5-5-15.

I just increased MCH voltage by 0.2v
and cpu voltage is 1.3875v
I didnt change anything else and it's perfectly stable and the temperatures are fine too (idle ~ 40C° , full 55C°)
I tried at 3.5ghz but it wouldnt pass the cpu tests and i'm pleased with these settings so i didnt try to go further.
hope it helps!

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
thanks bro.. it sure does... cos i have no idea what is the V for MCH... so i wouldnt know how much to increase...
how bout the ICH volt?? and DDR volt?

how bout the PCI E freq?? auto?

I have a dd2 800... how do you know wat to put for the memory multiplier??.

i tried once.... setting up to 3GHz... my idle temp was 60... ouch... and dun dare to run the stress test.... 300*10.. cos i think am using the stock fan... hehe...

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
these are the only voltages i changed and it works fine!
I didnt change ICH and DDR voltages. I tried following the guide here but any voltage changes of the ddr caused the system to freeze or reboot and i had to clear cmos all the time.
PCI E is set to Auto.

As for the memory, I tried to keep the 1:1 ratio so that means I set the memory multiplier to x2 or x2.5 depending on the fsb (x2 if you choose 425*8 and x2.5 for 340*10) so in my case the memory is set to 850 mhz with the cpu at 3.4ghz without any voltage increase. I'm not pushing it much beyond the default frequency so i dont see the point in adding extra voltages.

So, i just increased MCH (default on the DQ6 is 1.2v) and cpu voltage slightly and it has been working great so far. In my case no need to change the other values, it has just caused excessive temperatures and instability problems. It just works perfectly at 3.4ghz but at 3.5ghz the system wont pass cpu stress tests. Guess I reached the limit with these settings but that's just fine for me considering I really dont know much about o/c and I was aiming at 3.2-3.3ghz at first!

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
oh... what if i set mine at 295*10 and put multiplier to 3 is that ok?? how to know wat multiplier to use?

btw you use the XpressRecovery2??? i tried using it but it always states HDD full altho i have 6G in my primary active HDD... i even created one 20GB primary hdd jus for it.. but still states the same thing... any idea??

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I havent used XpressRecovery yet so i cant help you with that!
As for the settings you can try, there's no risk you're going to damage the cpu or ram with these settings but I'd suggest you change that stock fan . I use an arcting cooling freezer pro 7 + arctic silver 5 for the thermal paste but there are much better fans of course.

" I tried once.... setting up to 3GHz... my idle temp was 60... ouch... and dun dare to run the stress test...." did you do much changes to the voltages ? You should be able to have 3ghz and a lower temperature even with the stock fan.

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
well.. i think my area is hot... so now its at 3GHz with 1.35 voltage....

FSB 300*10 and memory multiplier is at 2... the temp is at 60Degrees... max it went was 73Degrees.. wonder is that good?? cos even if i dun OC it is still 60Degrees....

strange when i use the CPUz.. my memory spd seems to be different from wat is the specs of my RAM.... it says... DDR5300 - 333MHz.. where as it is suppose to be DDR6400 800MHz.... is yours the same??

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
wow, 73° is way too hot!
did you mount the cpu fan yourself ? are you sure it's perfectly clipped?
I think you should consider buying a new fan and good thermal paste because ,imo, this is way too hot and your c2d wont like it.
How's the rest of your case ? how many fans do you have?
As for the memory I dont have that problem, mine is seen as dd2 800 with cpuz.

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
ya i mount it myself.. it is properly clipped on the mobo.. so i doubt i could have mount it wrongly.... well i gez i will reduce back to defaul then... so wat is the best temp??

fans... i got 1 120 at the front.. 2 80 blowing out 1 rear and one side panel near the CPU... teh other 1 80 blowing into the cd roms and one 80 blowing at HDD... one 80 blowing the GPU....

so wat is the problem that mine doesnt read that way?? could it be that mine was a fake?? darn.. would have to check then... seems no one able to confirm this problem i have... darn..

drakh

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
yes, you should go back to default for the moment and maybe try later with a new cpu fan.
that's weird coz you seem to have a good air flow in the case...
I'd suggest checking the cpu fan again & change the thermal paste.

what's the brand and reference of your ram ?

PoEPATMAN

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I'm at 3.88 with air on 680i evga, fsb is 1550 Qddr, xms6400cd4,sli 2x7900gt, been messing with the multipliers reducing and raising the fsb.
6x,7x,8x, you can try them all with various fsb but this 3.88 is the best I can get out of it right now. I raised the voltage on fsb to 1.5 and went from 1525 Qdr, to 1550. That only equates to going from 3.75 to 3.88. Changing the voltage for the cpu on the 680i is bad it does not like it and won't over clock. Im running at 48c and 52c under load. I bet I can crack 4g on air once the bios is a little more mature. I have a Scyth cooler and a cms stacker 830 with 7 mounted 120's fans. Properly installed HSF with the right thermal grease is crucial. alot of people seem to be having problems with this on all Mobo's and cd2. Don't know why but I see alot of posting with bad temps then get better ones after re mouning the HSF. Good luck. BTW the 680i boards are great about rebooting themselves in bois safe mode if it doesn't like your settings. I've only been OC'ing for about a year. It's a blast knowing your not going to ruin anything.

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
hmmm ok.. i think will put back to default then.. will try to remount the HSF altho it took me quite awhile to do so.. cos at first dunno how to do it..haha. then got all of it locked.... now hve to remove... could it be my room temparature??

one more thing about memory multiplier... i should keep it as close to 1:1 ratio rite?? does it apply eventho my FSB is set at 300 and my RAM can go up to 800? which means i should set my RAM at 300 as well??

firstknight

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
but in some forums.. it says.. it makes not different as RAM is just to store data but processor is the main thing... got loads of data but then the processor cant process it quick enough its of no use at all... hmmm...