How do I block a port with Windows XP SP2 firewall

I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I can
find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
Thanks Will
3 answers Last reply
More about block port windows firewall

    Usually, if they are not excepted, then they are already blocked.
    Note that the XP firewall is mostly intended for blocking incoming requests,
    not outgoing - if your machine asks for something, it does not block the
    initial request, or the reply to that request. If that same request was
    initiated from outside, it may be blocked.
    Ports that are not blocked by default usually need to be left open for
    something important to work.
    Some traffic may not be TCP or UDP, and may not not use ports.

    What are you trying to block / stop? There may be another way.

    In article <emOz6Qt3EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Will Fleenor"
    <wil@k2e.com> wrote:
    |I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I can
    |find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
    |Thanks Will

    I Randy and interent based secruity check (shields up) and it indicated that
    ports 80 (http) and the port for Https were open for incoming requests?
    Since I am not running a Web server I would like to close those ports.

    Thanks, Will
    <nospam.please@ualberta.ca> wrote in message
    > Usually, if they are not excepted, then they are already blocked.
    > Note that the XP firewall is mostly intended for blocking incoming
    > requests,
    > not outgoing - if your machine asks for something, it does not block the
    > initial request, or the reply to that request. If that same request was
    > initiated from outside, it may be blocked.
    > Ports that are not blocked by default usually need to be left open for
    > something important to work.
    > Some traffic may not be TCP or UDP, and may not not use ports.
    >
    > What are you trying to block / stop? There may be another way.
    >
    > In article <emOz6Qt3EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Will Fleenor"
    > <wil@k2e.com> wrote:
    > |I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I
    > can
    > |find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
    > |Thanks Will

    According to XP Help and Support on the Start Menu, you use the Exceptions
    tab for this purpose: "To open a port for a program or service, select the
    check box for the program or service. To close a port for a program or
    service, clear the check box for the program or service."

    If the above does not help, you may need something more robust and
    configurable than the XP built-in firewall. There are several free
    firewalls available that are more robust and configurable than the XP
    Firewall:
    www.agnitum.com
    www.zonelabs.com
    www.sygate.com
    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
    http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Will Fleenor" <will@k2e.com> wrote in message
    >I Randy and interent based secruity check (shields up) and it indicated
    >that ports 80 (http) and the port for Https were open for incoming
    >requests? Since I am not running a Web server I would like to close those
    >ports.
    >
    > Thanks, Will
    > <nospam.please@ualberta.ca> wrote in message
    >> Usually, if they are not excepted, then they are already blocked.
    >> Note that the XP firewall is mostly intended for blocking incoming
    >> requests,
    >> not outgoing - if your machine asks for something, it does not block the
    >> initial request, or the reply to that request. If that same request was
    >> initiated from outside, it may be blocked.
    >> Ports that are not blocked by default usually need to be left open for
    >> something important to work.
    >> Some traffic may not be TCP or UDP, and may not not use ports.
    >>
    >> What are you trying to block / stop? There may be another way.
    >>
    >> In article <emOz6Qt3EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Will Fleenor"
    >> <wil@k2e.com> wrote:
    >> |I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I
    >> can
    >> |find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
    >> |Thanks Will

Firewalls Windows XP