How do I block a port with Windows XP SP2 firewall

I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I can
find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
Thanks Will

Usually, if they are not excepted, then they are already blocked.
Note that the XP firewall is mostly intended for blocking incoming requests,
not outgoing - if your machine asks for something, it does not block the
initial request, or the reply to that request. If that same request was
initiated from outside, it may be blocked.
Ports that are not blocked by default usually need to be left open for
something important to work.
Some traffic may not be TCP or UDP, and may not not use ports.

What are you trying to block / stop? There may be another way.

In article <emOz6Qt3EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Will Fleenor"
<wil@k2e.com> wrote:
|I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I can
|find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
|Thanks Will

I Randy and interent based secruity check (shields up) and it indicated that
ports 80 (http) and the port for Https were open for incoming requests?
Since I am not running a Web server I would like to close those ports.

Thanks, Will
<nospam.please@ualberta.ca> wrote in message
> Usually, if they are not excepted, then they are already blocked.
> Note that the XP firewall is mostly intended for blocking incoming
> requests,
> not outgoing - if your machine asks for something, it does not block the
> initial request, or the reply to that request. If that same request was
> initiated from outside, it may be blocked.
> Ports that are not blocked by default usually need to be left open for
> something important to work.
> Some traffic may not be TCP or UDP, and may not not use ports.
>
> What are you trying to block / stop? There may be another way.
>
> In article <emOz6Qt3EHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Will Fleenor"
> <wil@k2e.com> wrote:
> |I want to block a specific port number with Windows XP SP2 Firewall. I
> can
> |find how to make exceptions but now how to block ports.
> |Thanks Will

According to XP Help and Support on the Start Menu, you use the Exceptions
tab for this purpose: "To open a port for a program or service, select the
check box for the program or service. To close a port for a program or
service, clear the check box for the program or service."

If the above does not help, you may need something more robust and
configurable than the XP built-in firewall. There are several free
firewalls available that are more robust and configurable than the XP
Firewall:
www.agnitum.com
www.zonelabs.com
www.sygate.com