HP Scanjet P5 Scsi Advice Needed Please.

I have a HP Scanjet P5 that came with an ISA SCSI card. I am now hooking it
up to a new computer that has only PCI. What would be the best way to
resolve this. If it's a change of a card or some kind of adapter can you
recommend which brand and model of this device
Thanks
Don

"Dapped" <coastx@citytel.net> wrote in message
> I have a HP Scanjet P5 that came with an ISA SCSI card. I am now hooking
it
> up to a new computer that has only PCI. What would be the best way to
> resolve this. If it's a change of a card or some kind of adapter can you
> recommend which brand and model of this device
> Thanks
> Don

You need a PCI SCSI card.

You have a couple of options. One I would recommend (especially if
you are on a budget) is to find a used PCI SCSI on eBay. I have the
same scanner and it works quite nicely in WinXP with an Adaptec 2940.
The 2940 is what you might call "vintage", but it's reliable and fast
enough for the 5p. Note that depending on the cable you have with
your scanner you might need an adapter connector for the 2940.

Another option is to find a SCSI to USB adapter, allowing you to plug
the scanner into a USB port. This avoids the need to open the box and
use a PCI slot, but these adapters tend to be more expensive than the
above option.

Paul

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:22:05 -0800, "Dapped" <coastx@citytel.net>
wrote:

>I have a HP Scanjet P5 that came with an ISA SCSI card. I am now hooking it
>up to a new computer that has only PCI. What would be the best way to
>resolve this. If it's a change of a card or some kind of adapter can you
>recommend which brand and model of this device
>Thanks
>Don

----
Paul J. Hurley
Caliban Computing
http://www.Caliban.com/
Spam resistant return email address.

Thanks for the reply Guys,
I did find one on ebay AHA-2920A
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5152889729&ssPageNam
e=STRK:MEWA:IT
There is a 2920A 2920C at Adaptec site, not sure what the difference is but
I think as you say it should work. Paul, what drivers did you use?
Thanks
Don

"Paul J. Hurley" <hurleyp@NoSpam.caliban.com> wrote in message
> You have a couple of options. One I would recommend (especially if
> you are on a budget) is to find a used PCI SCSI on eBay. I have the
> same scanner and it works quite nicely in WinXP with an Adaptec 2940.
> The 2940 is what you might call "vintage", but it's reliable and fast
> enough for the 5p. Note that depending on the cable you have with
> your scanner you might need an adapter connector for the 2940.
>
> Another option is to find a SCSI to USB adapter, allowing you to plug
> the scanner into a USB port. This avoids the need to open the box and
> use a PCI slot, but these adapters tend to be more expensive than the
> above option.
>
> Paul
>
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:22:05 -0800, "Dapped" <coastx@citytel.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a HP Scanjet P5 that came with an ISA SCSI card. I am now hooking
it
> >up to a new computer that has only PCI. What would be the best way to
> >resolve this. If it's a change of a card or some kind of adapter can you
> >recommend which brand and model of this device
> >Thanks
> >Don
> >

> ----
> Paul J. Hurley
> Caliban Computing
> http://www.Caliban.com/
> Spam resistant return email address.

If your new computer is running WindowsXP, you may also have to install the
ASPI software. It is available from the Adaptec web site.

"Dapped" <coastx@citytel.net> wrote in message
> I have a HP Scanjet P5 that came with an ISA SCSI card. I am now hooking
it
> up to a new computer that has only PCI. What would be the best way to
> resolve this. If it's a change of a card or some kind of adapter can you
> recommend which brand and model of this device
> Thanks
> Don

Don,

First I have to correct my posting. I don't have the HP 5p scanner -
I have the 4p. I believe the 5p is simply the upgrade/replacement for
the 4p, but there may be some subtle differences. :-\

I use the Adaptec and 4p drivers bundled with WinXP, but I've had
acceptable results scanning with the (relatively old) drivers supplied
with the scanner. Depending on the imaging app you're using, you
might get some scanning software that is useful.

Just as a heads-up, I ran into this problem when I installed my
scanner:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311907

Paul