Rizz768

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Pretty stupid story.

I bought a LCD monitor today, plugged it in, installed the drivers, etc. Then all of a sudden after a quick reboot my sound stops working, along with both my CD-rom drives (when I try to play a game it says theres no cd in the drive for an example) and if I try listening to music it gives me the following error " Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select anothe device in configuration. Error Code 88780078 " I didn't bother doing this yet, because I simply want to know what the hell happened, did I get a virus?, did my motherboard go stupid on me? anyone know whats wrong? I secured all wires, tried rebooting, I opened up my sound device options, and it's not even detecting that I have speakers plugged in, or a microphone, if I go to my device managers, the following have a "!" inside a yellow circle over the icons

- CD-ROM
- DVD-ROM
- Webcam
- Realtek AC'97 Audio
- Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

Please help me, I'm losing hope here. :(

Rizz768

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Just tried a system restore, no luck. I was thinking of reinstalling the drivers, I have most of them downloaded, can't seem to find the plug and play driver, however.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I've had some drivers, though they weren't drivers per se. More like Desktop Optimization, like color saturation and that kind of stuff. Odd how it would cause such problems..

Well, have you tried Safe Mode? Ran any Virus scans or anti-spyware stuff?

~Ibrahim~

Rizz768

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
It's all just pathetic, It happened before I popped the monitor cd into the CD-ROM, I turned off my computer, plugged in the new monitor, turned my computer back on and this happened, so I actually didn't even get to install the drivers (sorry for the typo in my first post), and no it wasn't an improper shutdown.

I don't think safe mode will do anything, it seems like my only option here is to format and well... I'm so damn tired of formatting. So so tired. Knowing the fact that I can't burn backup dvd's with data since my ROM drives don't work makes me not want to even attempt it, besides, how can I even format if my CD-ROM drives don't work? :p

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I know exactly what you are going through. The most annoying sh!t in the world. You did nothing wrong and everything just decides to break at the same time.

Well, try using Safe Mode. Do you get sound, etc.?

Hold on from the format. They sound like a cure-all, but can cause more headaches than fixing them.

~Ibrahim~

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Before you do a reformat, try a windows repair. But before you even do that try plugging your old monitor back in and uninstalling the monitor drivers for the LCD, see if that fixes it for some reason. If it does, just don't install the drivers for the LCD.

Rizz768

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
To answer a few of the posts, I didn't install any LCD drivers, I didn't get a chance to, and I've already plugged my old monitor back in, the same problem occurs. I can't format either, my recovery cd's don't load in the dead cd-rom drives.